BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 10 More Epl Clubs To Be Taken Over

Iceman

Has anybody seen on sky, when they did the papers that Saudi Billionairs, are wanting to buy a further 10 clubs? How many clubs, are without a mega rich owner at the moment. Are we one of them? Nicko, any truth in this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1219129/Saudi-sweep-Middle-Eastern-billionaires-line-buy-10-English-clubs.html

They do not mention any clubs, but they do suggest that non premiership clubs look like better investments to then bring them into the Premiership. So I would imagine we are not one of the clubs looking to be taken over.

Dr Almedlej got a speaker's slot at a commercial conference (that is not difficult) and has made the most of it with a headline-grabbing claim which the Daily Mail picked up on. He is probably fishing for clubs and "investors" to represent.

The revealing bit comes at the end of course:

Dr Almedlej added: 'I wrote an article seven years ago about Manchester City inviting Saudi businessman to buy them at that time when they were bottom of the second league.'

On the issue of Portsmouth's ownership, however, Dr Almedlej added that, while he is hopeful the club's fortunes will receive a much-needed boost following Al Faraj's takeover, he admitted the new man at Fratton Park is just as much of a mystery in his homeland.

'To us, we hear rumours from the British media. I read the papers online and watch Sky News. I asked my friends and nobody knows him. For three days, I see there is no picture of him in the Saudi papers.'

Which says

1) He's been trying and failing for donkey's years

2) His comments about Pompey show he doesn't keep his mouth shut so nobody will trust him

3) He is not the first to have tried and failed to find Pompey's latest owners. The BBC likewise could not verify the assets they claim to own in Saudi... The Telegraph report of the same speech ONLY reported this aspect of it.

In other words this particular Daily Mail story is the stuff that comes out of the rear ends of male bovines.

No one will buy us, simple.

I don't know why, but championship teams are more likely to get brought than us,

If teams like pompey, southampton, notts county are more attractive buys then we have no hope.

Which is a very very good thing when you think about it.

Pompey have had as many owners this season as points in the league table and whilst the PL OK'd the latest lot, nobody else can validate them.

Southampton went into administration on the nth lot of new owners and of course we'd far rather be bottom of the third tier than 16th in the Prem.

One of the two families widely reported to be backing the Notts County take over have just said they have nothing to do with it. Wouldn't be the first time Sven bought a fake sheikh...

We only want a new owner who is as rich as the City owners.

Personally I don't want anybody - its becoming a farce with amount of money being needed just to survive.

I want a level parity to bring the game back into being a sport rather than a over glitzed business propaganda elephant.

Has anybody seen on sky, when they did the papers that Saudi Billionairs, are wanting to buy a further 10 clubs? How many clubs, are without a mega rich owner at the moment. Are we one of them? Nicko, any truth in this?

I think Portsmouth have already proved that Saudi money men are not necessarily the answer.

Once.

And maybe twice.

Would you feel comfortable with somebody who`s never even been to Blackburn (or know where it is without an advisor showing him on a map) owning our club?? :huh:

I certainly wouldn`t feel comfy with that.

No one will buy us, simple.

I don't know why, but championship teams are more likely to get brought than us,

If teams like pompey, southampton, notts county are more attractive buys then we have no hope.

One word sums it up..... potential.

Personally I don't want anybody - its becoming a farce with amount of money being needed just to survive.

I want a level parity to bring the game back into being a sport rather than a over glitzed business propaganda elephant.

Correct. 20 clubs with Man city's resources and hunders of Prem players would be falling over themselves to boot 'ordinary' multi millionaires of of Monaco......... yet 3 clubs would still be relegated! :unsure:

The stupid thing is that if professional football was outlawed and banned 99% of professional footballers would still want to play somewhere the following weekend. :rolleyes:

It's a tad worrying that only the PL can verify that the new owners are fit and proper. What's the test - a note from their mummy?

Stating the obvious here but the PL must really be worried about administration or a club folding in the premiership. Given the huge amounts of debt having to deal with an insolvent pompey could set them an unwelcome precedent. The idea of having to penalise one of their clubs like manure or west ham, must be a very worrying prospect. Far better someone, anyone, keeps Pompey from folding, and to hell with where the money comes from.

To be honest, and maybe it's cause I'm not a multi-millionaire, I can't really see the attraction of buying an english club. Firstly, given the money about, you are going to get very little for your dosh. Look at the money Learner's put in at Villa for example, or Short at Sunderland - you can't see them winning anything anytime soon. Surely it'd be far better to invest in another league, even the scottish one. Given the shape of the old firm at the moment, someone of Learner's assets, would probably quickly have a team winning trophies. Granted a less prestigious league, but at least you'd be winning something.

I guess it always comes down to profit, but again, outside of the big 4 I cannot see that there is much money to be made by owning a mid-table club. Most clubs seem to have significant debt, and the cost of keeping a team in the premier league, thus getting hands on PL dosh, is only going to continue to rise. I'd have thought there are far sounder ways to invest the money, even in the credit crunch.

Three PL clubs have come close to going bust whilst being members of the PL - Man City, West Ham and now Pompey - whilst the state of Hull City at the moment is giving rise for concern because of problems in their owners' businesses.

I wouldn't completely give up entirely on the idea of Rovers being attractive but the primary motivation of the acquiring party would have to be something other than making money directly from the venture.

Doesn't that mean in reality that Rovers being a town club in the premiership with a small fan base are already maximizing there potential??? wouldn't make us a very attractive purchase

And surrounded by close rivals.

Get rid of the rivals, make one team for the entire North West and Lanky Utd would be snapped up in the blink of an eye by Bill Gates / Sultan of Bruneii or similar.

Problem is no one wants football in this area to progress and compete on an equal footing with the big boys in this country and Europe. We'd all much rather be standing on a windswept terrace, watching 3rd rate football whilst wringing our caps in angst for 90mins every other Sat afternoon.

Welcome aboard Capt; now that makes two of us on this MB! Hopefully in about 10 to 20 more years of naked exploitation the others will come to realise what mugs the average true football supporters are being taken for by the PL and the powers behind the "football makes us all super rich movement".

I still hope and pray that I will live to see the day when the game of football again becomes a game; a sport that allows true competition to each and every member club within their own level of operation, and is not just used to make the big city clubs and the players richer than Cresus at the expense of ordinary football fans.

It is well known now that if the club doesnt get financial backing in the next few years we wont be able to compete

at this level for much longer, It is a concern but if nobody is interested what can you do? We have been very lucky in

the past to have had Jack Walker, Not only his money but his passion for the club. I very much doubt we'll see anything like him again.

I just wonder if the Gold/Sullivan partnership will have a sniff around? Not saying they would be Ideal but there as likely as anything right now.

We can survive in this league so long as we remain in it,the tv money is crucial.We cannot compete with the top 4 etc but can with the middle to bottom half clubs.

Wouldn't want the likes of Gold/Sullivan near our club,minimal financial clout with 'BIG CLUB' Brum nothing more than a yoyo to show for it.

what interests, do the Walker Trustees have in Rovers at the moment? Just asking, because if they not putting money in, are they even interested in results etc? You just get the feeling, that we may only be taken over if we land up in serious financial difficulty. In saying that, how are these buyers, investors,consortiums or whatever they called just allowed to purchase a club. Is the whole idea of the fit and proper test, not to check that these guys have any real interest in the club, and not just for the sake of owning one?

Archived