BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea V Rovers Preview

colin

Thnaks to Sentanta Canada, I've just watched our '96 demolition of Sheff Weds 7-2, and it has depressed me immensely.

Firstly, two forwards - TWO - chasing everything, giving the centre halves no time on the ball. Two wingers - real wingers - who run, at pace, past players and crtoss into dangerous areas; something Spit and MGP haven't done all season. Every corner from Rippers and Jase has been far better than ANY corner from MGP and Spit. Two central mids who harry, tackle, get into both boxes and can pick a pass to runners off the ball.

The contrsat to Saturday could not be greater. And it wasn't that great a team either: no Shearer or Sherwood.

IT isn't a difficult game if you work harder than the guy you are up against, something we have only done once so far this season.

Wasn't that game 97-98? I had it on video. Doesn't Carbone score a belter for them and Flowers break his arm?

Very hazy memory of this one.. :wacko:

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't that game 97-98? I had it on video. Doesn't Carbone score a belter for them and Flowers break his arm?

Very hazy memory of this one.. :wacko:

You're right about the season and Carbone's wonder strike. I believe he was later sent off as well.

But it was Filan who was stretchered off after a collision, and Flowers deputized.

You're right about the season and Carbone's wonder strike. I believe he was later sent off as well.

But it was Filan who was stretchered off after a collision, and Flowers deputized.

Ah that sounds about right, I knew one came on for the other...

Carbone was later sent off...

I gave the game another viewing on Chelsea TV this evening (the beauty of a DVR). The Chelsea commentators were very open with their opinion of the Rovers, a "poor" side, "hard to believe we're in the same division", etc. They expressed shock at every one of MGP's kicks from a set piece. I.e. they thought he was supposed to be good at them and he was anything but. They were surprisingly supportive of Jason Roberts. Thought he was doing an excellent job but the midfield was letting him down by not coming to his support. They were thankful that Dunn was not roaring in behind him, and that both Samba and Chimbonda were out. During an odd moment of pity, they did opine the game may have been a differnt result (Chelsea would win but not by such a margin), if the three of them had been on the field.

Watching the game with some distance, I thought there were some indications that not all was lost. There is hope. Though Kalinic didn't get a shot off, he was a battler, more than able to stand on his own against one and even two Chelsea defenders. Sam is obviously getting him into some great shape. And unlike Roberts, Kalinic could control the ball during his tussles up front. The Chelsea pundits mentioned a couple of times that Kalinic was also getting into some good positions during our corners, but the corner kicks from the Rovers were uniformally poor and he was unable to take advantage as a result.

I thought N'Zoni did well. Unfortunately, MGP and Emerton should have been sat down in the first 5 minutes. I'm of mixed emotions on Andrews.

Salgado was also good, for the half an hour he was on. I suspect Sam was right to grab him. He was fast, tough and creative, from what I could see. And as a bonus, he had Drogba checking his teeth after a collision at one point. I didn't think Olsen was anywhere near as bad as some have let on. He seemed solid, and nearly sneaked a goal near the end. And I thought Jacobsen and Givet (yes, despite the own goal) were steady. Neither appeared to quit, no matter how depressing the day looked.

Robinson was a star. We are lucky to have him.

The weakness in the team is not necessarily the strikers, and it is certainly not our defenders (though Nelsen seemed much slower, though that may have been the flu). It is our midfield. I hope Sam doesn't take MGP and Emerton to the next few games. Let them sit on the reserves bench. Let Dunn and Hoilett handle the middle, with Kalinic up front. I think he's ready.

Smoss, I also had the chance to see some of the game again and totally agree with everything you wrote. I watched MGP carefully and I don't think i saw a single pass get to its intended target - abysmal was an inadequate description.

Emerton was so far off the pace he might as well hae not played.

J Rob did a reasonable job on his own but it was heartening to see how much better Kalinic was.

Salgado was the revelation for me- he didn't put a foot wrong.

Interesting view on the game... Hopefully tonight we will see Kalinic, I thought he looked quite good against Chelsea and wasnt afriad to take on his man.

He reminds me of Matt Jansen, he is full of bustle and just seems to bounce off players to get clear. He also chases everything!

Olsson was unfairly criticised again...what exactly was he supposed to of done wrong?!

I agree, Olsson was fine to the extent anyone can be in such a defeat.

Jacobsen had another worrying game and Nelsen was certainly off his game leaving Givet a huge amount to do. Givet seemed to let the og get to him foe a while and Nelsen covered well for the balance of the first half.

All the problems were from midfield. Andrews, Emerton and MGP were all awful and Nzonzi can be forgiven for being so young but he added very little and was at fault in his distribution at times.

From the moment Lampard was allowed to run unimpeded onto that loose ball on the edge of our box 3 minutes into the second half, we were stuffed. Either Sam is massively at fault not having anyone looking for Lampard is at most corners/set pieces or somebody simply forgot to do their job. Probably the latter. Certainly leaving Essien alone to shoot at an entire net from 30 odd yards out was somebody not doing their job. Either Emerton or Andrews in both cases.

J Rob did a reasonable job on his own but it was heartening to see how much better Kalinic was.

Salgado was the revelation for me- he didn't put a foot wrong.

Agreed on Salgado Philip - perhaps he has got to grips with the English game now. I certainly hope he plays tonight and lets go from there.

Roberts though IMO was at his useless best yet again. I think Theno summed him up perfectly the other day by saying that his second touch is always a tackle (if he ever gets a second chance as it usually spins off in a different direction after his attempted 'trap').

Interesting view on the game... Hopefully tonight we will see Kalinic, I thought he looked quite good against Chelsea and wasnt afriad to take on his man.

He reminds me of Matt Jansen, he is full of bustle and just seems to bounce off players to get clear. He also chases everything!

Olsson was unfairly criticised again...what exactly was he supposed to of done wrong?!

Not a bad comparison there Hughesy. He was full of bustle and keen. Again I'm hoping that he starts tonight and keeps his shirt possibly for OT at the weekend.

Also agree on Olsson. Aside from the Spurs game last year I've always thought that he looked decent. And even then that was the mug Ince's fault for not taking him off sooner before he gave away the penalty and then got sent off.

Edit: actually I don't think he gave away a pen thinking back. He was just badly at fault for their goal.

Also agree on Olsson. Aside from the Spurs game last year I've always thought that he looked decent. And even then that was the mug Ince's fault for not taking him off sooner before he gave away the penalty and then got sent off.

Yeah, Olsson was horribly exposed in that game. If he'd had someone in front of him helping out I think he could have dealt with Lennon. Instead, he had to try and deal with Lennon by himself which is hard for the best leftback in the world let alone a youngster coming through.

Archived