BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

Di Santo is THE signing priority just now. It could well become permanent from the word I am getting...and that is really where the whole of the January dealings have to begin.

Chelsea wants £7 million for him in the summer, but that is always open to negotiation. The fact the kid wants to come is a major bargaining chip.

On other targets...

MERIEM - in this week, if he does well could come on a free which would help.

IBRICIC - did well yesterday...down to price. He would look a very good shout to replace MGP, who I would expect to leave.

ELM - would cost, I think he is only likely to come if [a] he pushes it and someone leaves.

No idea about some of the other names in the Sunday People tale today before you ask.

Good news. If we could knock that down a little bit I think he would be a very good signing. His touch and all round ability is excellent and with more service I am sure he would score more goals, he certainly will as he gets older.

The problem is the service because IMO we really need to invest in the midfield. Have we got the money to do that or even any players we could sell to raise funds? I don't think MGP, Roberts, Andrews and Benni would bring in big fees but perhaps there would be money available if the wage bill went down significantly.

If we were to sign Ibric, Elm and Di Santo I would be delighted but it seems a distant dream.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree American, it's the best way of going about it. Realistically most young players don't develop, so an outlay of 7 million for a player with one premier league goal to his name (which was a 1 yard tap-in of a header) is a major risk to take. I think he's probably worth it, he seems to have all the tools, but for a club like ourselves it makes much more sense to put clauses in there rather than just sign the cheque at the beginning.

£7m for Di Santo, bargain, get him signed up asap.

A young, fast eager striker with that thought of creative play that seems to be attached mainly to South Americans for me is a no brainer.

If Di Santo wants to play for Rovers aswell just cant believe anyone who would want to dismiss him or have doubts about him especially when we have to put up with shyte like Keef Andrews.

I agree American, it's the best way of going about it. Realistically most young players don't develop, so an outlay of 7 million for a player with one premier league goal to his name (which was a 1 yard tap-in of a header) is a major risk to take. I think he's probably worth it, he seems to have all the tools, but for a club like ourselves it makes much more sense to put clauses in there rather than just sign the cheque at the beginning.

Goal of the season that!

Di Santo is THE signing priority just now. It could well become permanent from the word I am getting...and that is really where the whole of the January dealings have to begin.

Chelsea wants £7 million for him in the summer, but that is always open to negotiation. The fact the kid wants to come is a major bargaining chip.

IBRICIC - did well yesterday...down to price. He would look a very good shout to replace MGP, who I would expect to leave.

ELM - would cost, I think he is only likely to come if ... he pushes it and ... someone leaves.

On Di Santo, the 7 million being "open to negotiation" gives me some comfort. Any idea as to his wages? I'm curious if Benni and Roberts moving in January would allow us to pay Di Santo's wages while at the same time financing a modest transfer fee.

As to Meriem, Ibricic and Elm, I think Ibricic should be the priority and a fine replacement to MGP.

Don't get me wrong, I rate him and was very vocal when we signed him about just what we where getting. I think he's got potential but last time we spent £7million we got a seasoned england international with some serious pedigree.

I just don't see how he's worth that.

If we can really raise that kind of money, then personally I want the Bosnian, Ibricic first as our midfield needs attention more than our strike force, even if Di Santo leaves. We need to create more, before we look at someone to actually take these chances, IMO.

I guess I'll just have to get my head round the fact that transfer fee's have now gone beyond the ridiculous.

I agree with everything you've said, except the text I placed in bold. Di Santo is worth every penny (if we had it) but I hope we can get that price down. I was actually thinking that if we were truly broke, why not a 5 million price tag with a buy back of 5 million plus the wages we paid him? We'd get his services for x years and Chelsea could pick him up whenever they liked at no real cost to themselves, on account that they'd have the 5 million we paid for him and would have to pay his wages anyway if we didn't buy him. Effectively, Chelsea would get either a proven striker for a song or, if he crashes and burns, place 5 million in thier pocket with no risk.

I think we could get him at 5m. But I agree, from abroad its possible to get someone at a lower price.

Who? And even if there was such a person, would they be able to match Di Santo's game performance over the last few months, his obvious team spirit (Sam must be doing something right with the boy) and his youth? Di Santo checks a lot of boxes and it would be tough to find someone who is as young, skilled and with an obvious desire to be a Rover.

Good news. If we could knock that down a little bit I think he would be a very good signing. His touch and all round ability is excellent and with more service I am sure he would score more goals, he certainly will as he gets older.

The problem is the service because IMO we really need to invest in the midfield. Have we got the money to do that or even any players we could sell to raise funds? I don't think MGP, Roberts, Andrews and Benni would bring in big fees but perhaps there would be money available if the wage bill went down significantly.

If we were to sign Ibric, Elm and Di Santo I would be delighted but it seems a distant dream.

I share your dreams and your concerns. Unless the Trust forks over the money (and no matter how wise that would be, it won't), we'd have to finance the transfer with wage savings.

When is Rigters gone and what is his salary? He's one of several non-performers whose wages could be put to a better use.

• Backroom

Tough one, Di Santo obviously has something, would love to see him with a striker playing off him for maximum effect though.

£7m is a lot for us but there will be a profit I would imagine however will the current owners be in place to see a return on the investment?

In theory if Nikola was to come good we could have our strikeforce mapped out for the forseeable future barring injuries or sales.

On other targets...

ELM - would cost, I think he is only likely to come if [a] he pushes it and someone leaves.

No idea about some of the other names in the Sunday People tale today before you ask.

If we were to sign, for arguments sake, Di Santo and Ibricic then would we have to raise £11+ million from player sales Nicko? Or is our major problem our wage budget? I cannot see who we could get decent money for. MGP: £1-2 million, Benni £2-4 million, Andrews £2 million? Zura? Who else? I'd love EHD to go but Sam is obviously a fan.

If we were to sign, for arguments sake, Di Santo and Ibricic then would we have to raise £11+ million from player sales Nicko? Or is our major problem our wage budget? I cannot see who we could get decent money for. MGP: £1-2 million, Benni £2-4 million, Andrews £2 million? Zura? Who else? I'd love EHD to go but Sam is obviously a fan.

I imagine it is a case of us trying to get him for 5 milion. Via the sales of Benni (3 million) and MGP (2 million).

DI SANTO...whatever price Chelsea want could obviously be paid in stages and installments...so that is not a case of finding a lot of money in a hurry. His wages would be much less than a McCarthy or Roberts is on as well. So it makes good financial as well as football sense.

IBRICIC...hard to say what his final selling price will be...but again wages should not be frightening.

It would not be a massive problem to buy Di Santo, move out Benni or Jason Roberts and then sign Ibricic or someone similar and move out MGP.

The price of getting relegated is far higher after all.

DI SANTO...whatever price Chelsea want could obviously be paid in stages and installments...so that is not a case of finding a lot of money in a hurry. His wages would be much less than a McCarthy or Roberts is on as well. So it makes good financial as well as football sense.

IBRICIC...hard to say what his final selling price will be...but again wages should not be frightening.

It would not be a massive problem to buy Di Santo, move out Benni or Jason Roberts and then sign Ibricic or someone similar and move out MGP.

Thanks for the reply Nicko. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I'd be (pleasantly) suprised if our expenditure exceeds are income in January(even wages aside).

With regards to Di Santo, if we do tie up a deal then it will be interesting to see if Big Sam can fit Franco and Kalinic in the same system. H'e seemed very hesitant to do so up until now.

7m overpriced, I'm not sure it is, did chelsea not pay 5m for him at the same time we got Carlos.

6m for Kalinic or 7m for Di Santo from what we have seen to date I know where my money would go.

I would be very happy to have Di Santo if a deal can be struck even with a sell on clause or buy back.

We need players willing to give their all for our club and get us back into the top ten sides in the Prem, maybe then we will have a bit more money to improve the quality of the squad.

7m is steep for di santo imo. As I've said before when we've paid a lot for a player recently we are invariably disappointed. Cole, Grabbi, Ferguson, Davies, Kalinic. In direct comparison all our best players have come on the cheap.

The only thing in di santo's favour at that price is his age.

The combination of 6 mill for Kalanic and 7 for Di Santo could make or break not just our season, but our club.

13 million for 2 young un's with one league goal between them by the middle of Nov is a huge gamble. We need 30 goals a season from these 2 to be worth the investment. If we get that, great, we'll be safe and then sell them for twice as much when they get billy big boots. If they flop however, the cupboard will be bare, we'll have no strikers and still have the worst midfield known to man.

If 4 of Sam's summer signings weren't warming the bench/stand, I would feel more confident about betting the club on his judgement.

Do ya feel lucky? Well, do ya??

There's no question that Di Santo is an excellent player in the making, anyone in their right mind can see the potential and his desire but the issue has to be the price. It's about risk/reward surely, if things go according to expectation then in retrospect 7M will seem like a snip, but then everything is perfect in hindsight. We have to factor in that the probability that sh!t happens and he doesn't develop as expected a la Grabbi, then 7M looks like a bit of a joke. How much risk do we take for the price?

If we buy and he succeeds then he will be off eventually like Rocky so it would make more sense to structure the deal around sell-on values, performance payments etc. than staged payments, that way we spread the risk a bit. A staged payment scheme, though do-able, just spends future transfer budget ahead of time and it has a habit of stacking up. Lord knows how much of this contingent liability stuff we already have in the background, postponed agents fees, staged payments out and in etc. These things only surface when a club gets in trouble like Pompey so I'd hate to see us create all these hostages to fortune. Cash is king and if we ain't got it we shouldn't spend it.

Genuinely excited by all the names we're linked with but who wouldn't be with Ibrcic and di Santo in, dumping MGP and Diouff being suggested, but we know the cash situation so in all probability we will end up with losing a few and signing a couple of free out of contract guys, we survive and wait for the next transfer window.

If we can manage to make these signings without tying a millstone round our neck then I'll be well pleased.

Guest Kamy100

Lancashire Telegraph report this morning that Rovers are interested in signing Di Santo. However, the telegraph also reports that Rovers have confirmed to them that this move to sign Franco will not be made in January.

Archived