BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen- Time To Get Rid

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You haven't answered my questions though have you?

I believe the last two lines of my post did, in that they offered suitable alternatives from the current squad and a viable alternative should we get £1m or so for him in Jan.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about him, but the views of him seem largely negative overall - can't all be wrong?

How can you not 'buy' it when it's fact? He's one of our most active players on the pitch and the stats rack up to that amount. Don't forget that football isn't all about 'on the ball' performance.

Not a huge fan of playing players out of position or on their wrong foot, so personally I'd rather have Peds there or [insert_natural_left_winger_better_than_pedersen(???)_here].

I see. So what you're saying is, after having seen 3 years of an out of form Pedersen, let's replace him with a Championship player who we saw play well (?) in one match?

I'd sooner trust the scouts' judements or that of our manager's.

Point 1 - show me proof that he's more active than most other players.

Point 2 - natural left winger or not, they would all arguably do more than MGP.

Point 3 - Boyd has 6 goals in 14 games this season playing largely from the left, and that in a struggling team. Granted it's the Championship, but his record would indicate he might have played well in more than just one game ....

I believe the last two lines of my post did, in that they offered suitable alternatives from the current squad and a viable alternative should we get £1m or so for him in Jan.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about him, but the views of him seem largely negative overall - can't all be wrong?

I don't think your last statement is anywhere near true. Get admins to put a poll up and we'll see...

Squabbly amongst yourselves if you want to.

That free kick against Peterbough was just about justification for keeping MGP.

It was sublime, no goalkeeper in the world could have saved that.

He just needs to do it a bit more often.

How can he score wonder free-kicks with pin-point precision and not clear the first man at corners?

It's a riddle.

Didn't he say he tries to score goals from the corner? Maybe that's just him attempting to curl it into the goal but failing. Otherwise I don't see why he wouldn't take corners to float over the top of defenders. I used to be a set piece taker back when I was still playing for a club and there's just no way you're set pieces are going to become worse all of a sudden unless your technique is wrong.

Get Adam Johnson in, he's in the same situation as gamst. We'd need to get in there early as there will be a lot of competition for him in january.

That's a great shout there. He would be a very good signing and a realistic one. Pedersen has been consistently poor for the last couple of seasons. His goal the other night was a screamer but that has come to be the exception rather than the rule. There was a time when he was a real goal scoring threat from play and set pieces, but that has more or less dried up. However, his ability to put quality crosses into the box still made him a good option to start and there was always the potential of scoring a free kick. However, his set pieces seem to have gone backwards as well. He doesn't have any pace, can't beat anyone with skill and really now all that he has in his locker a very good long throw. There's no doubt about the effort he puts in or the ground he covers, he just doesn't bring much to the party anymore.

Assuming we could afford him, Adam Johnson appears to be a decent replacement.

And to clarify something. I want to be wrong about Pedersen. We'll see come January as I am sure that Sam and John Williams will give him every chance between now and then.

That's a great shout there. He would be a very good signing and a realistic one. Pedersen has been consistently poor for the last couple of seasons. His goal the other night was a screamer but that has come to be the exception rather than the rule. There was a time when he was a real goal scoring threat from play and set pieces, but that has more or less dried up. However, his ability to put quality crosses into the box still made him a good option to start and there was always the potential of scoring a free kick. However, his set pieces seem to have gone backwards as well. He doesn't have any pace, can't beat anyone with skill and really now all that he has in his locker a very good long throw. There's no doubt about the effort he puts in or the ground he covers, he just doesn't bring much to the party anymore.

Haven't a couple of our recent goals been from Pedersen assists. Like him or not I think he was the player with the most assists last season too. Even when we think he's not good enough, he's doing something right

Haven't a couple of our recent goals been from Pedersen assists. Like him or not I think he was the player with the most assists last season too. Even when we think he's not good enough, he's doing something right

Spot on.

How can he score wonder free-kicks with pin-point precision and not clear the first man at corners?

It's a riddle.

So true - why cant he do the corners he used to do every time with Kuqi in the team, Curling in on the near post just looking for a touch. With NZonzi, Samba & Givet we would be a massive threat with that corner! He must still have it in his locker!?

I'm sure I read somewhere his knees are terrible and he couldn't get as much lift on his corners (due to the slope, his free kicks are on a straight run up). Dunno how credible it was though.

If the slope played that big a part, and is the reason for his poor corner kicks, then what about the other players? I dont see too many other players having a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived