BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Supporters Trust

Is it time for a supporters' trust take over?

I'm not sure if this has been properly discussed for Blackburn Rovers before but it makes more sense for a supporters trust to gain control of BRFC then Liverpool etc. We are affordable and in a good financial position. Why wait until things turn bad and the debt levels are almost the same as the value of the club to make a move? Unlike Liverpool etc we wouldn't need to 'lose' investment by paying off the debt left by others mistakes.

There are so many questions about IF this could work for Blackburn and HOW it would work.

Here is a link from the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2009/10/footballs_trusts_must_keep_the.html

Why bother. The club is being run very well apart from a lack of investment which they don't have. If the supporters trust bought the club we still wouldn't be able to find that investment.

Stupid idea unless there's some leech at the top of your club draining the money and sucking the life out of it.

Long term security?

It can be run the same with Williams as the president.

The investment can come from the supporters trust. I'm sure more then 3million per year can be generated.

If it was to be done, now is the best time surely? No debt or high price. I can't see a better situation then now. If a new rich owner comes in, what will happen in 5 years? I'm pretty sure the leech would want more then the current price and coupled with the extra debt he would add it makes sense to me.

Let's say we'd realistically be able to get 5k fans seriously interested (which is a stretch); that means that:

In order to buy the club for 40 million each fan would have to chip in an average of 8k.

In order to then guarantee a budget of 10 million per season for transfers each fan would have to contribute an average of 2k.

Do we really have 5k fans who could give up 10k in year 1 and 2k for every year after that?

That isn't even taking into consideration required contributions towards wages.

Unworkable at this level.

Let's say we'd realistically be able to get 5k fans seriously interested (which is a stretch); that means that:

In order to buy the club for 40 million each fan would have to chip in an average of 8k.

In order to then guarantee a budget of 10 million per season for transfers each fan would have to contribute an average of 2k.

Do we really have 5k fans who could give up 10k in year 1 and 2k for every year after that?

That isn't even taking into consideration required contributions towards wages.

Unworkable at this level.

agreed that it looks highly unlikely, but a few things:

The oversees fans can also chip in a contribution, obviously it's hard to estimate who and how many, but it can definitely add to the 5k number. We're still going to be getting sponsor, gate and tv money to help pay for bills, and as for transfers - we don't really need an extra 10 million a season. What we need is if we sell a top star to be able to use the money to buy a replacement. We'd have a much stronger squad if we could spend the money we got from Bentley, Cruz, Warnock etc...

Though the biggest obstacle are the wages, which probably will be too big of a demand...

It's not just about the money. I know from trying to start up an ISA that when it starts lots of people will want to be involved and will be well meaning and enthusiastic. Over time they'll be replaced with people intent on pushing their own agenda and less willing to get involved unless it suits their own ends.

Forget it ... it's a complete non starter.

The basic principle of asking people who earn 25k per annum to support players who earn twice that per week is doomed to failure. And rightly so.

Correct. Supporters Trusts may work very well for smaller clubs with a connection to the community etc. but asking fans to financially support PL players is way off the mark. These players are so far removed from reality they may as well be on a different planet. I wouldn't give them 5p let alone £5000.

We should all get together and put in £1.50 a week to the Blackburn Rovers supporters trust. We then buy euro millions tickets with everyones monies and hope our luck comes in eventually and use that to buy the club.

Another alternative one which would never happen in a million years would be for the trust to give the club to the fans. No-one is going to buy us, if we go down they will lose millions and there not putting any in, so us not putting any in wouldn't change anything but perhaps we could raise some money in the future.

Archived