BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Swine Flu

ABBEY

Interesting comments from Sam in that link philip and asks some questions of the FA/PL:

For those who can't access the link for some reason for example at work:

Allardyce said Blackburn had only decided to play the fixture at Stamford Bridge because they were bound to do so by Premier League rules, and admitted there was a chance the virus could have been passed on.

"The Premier League has tried to sit on the fence by saying that we didn't request to have the game called off," Allardyce said.

"We knew we couldn't get the game called off because we were told way back in February or March when we took some guidelines that unless there was some government legislation, everybody had to do whatever they had to do."

"If there was a swine flu outbreak, you couldn't call a game off, no matter what."

"We fulfilled our responsibility by confirming two cases of swine flu and suggesting that it looks like one or two other players and members of staff had similar symptoms, and we made the same phone call to Chelsea."

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PL need to clarify the situation, because games have been called off in the past because of a 'flu outbreak within a club.

What will they do when a club can't field a team? - it's not good enough to tell clubs that under no circumstances can a game be called off. If the PL did indeed issue those guidelines that Allardyce suggests - then that is negligence in my eyes.

Interesting that Peterbrough seem happy for the game to go ahead. If I was Darren Ferguson I'd be pretty worried about their squad picking up the infection and damaging their fight to stay up in the Championship.

my eldest was said to have suspected swine flu thursday last week,but is ok now but his younger brother is (i wont say pig sick ) about not going tommorow as i bought tickets .ive decided not to get rid as im now taking my step grandson with me and hes looking forward to it.I still cant cant understand hy the players have not been quarantined has ive not been allowed to see my boys for about 10 days.whats the diference because at the end of the day they like my son and me are only humans ,not super creatures.

Not sure Abbey, but it wouldn't take much for it to pass from Dunny to the back of the BBE, especially with the amount of jumping around that was going on in the first half :blink:

I know the bloke who was sat in front of me against the Dingles was dying last week and I've been feeling under the weather the last week, (thankfully it only seems to be a head cold so far).

silly question but how far does it travel so to speak? thinking about dunny taking corners etc against dingles and also people in the crowd....potential infection rate could be huge ,not just the teams?

ABBEY swine flu is not an airborne disease. The methods of transmission are body fluids, e.g someone sneezing or coughing over you, handshakes etc BUT also from surfaces contaminated by infected people. The toilet handle, door knobs etc. The virus can live for two hours or more on such surfaces. Personal hygiene, especially washing your hands thoroughly (30 seconds of soaping) is very important. Wash the taps before you wash your hands as it's daft to wash your hands and then touch a surface that may be contaminated. Cold and flu virus tend to live longer on non-porous surfaces (plastic, laminates etc) than on porous surfaces (clothing, skin etc).

Not sure Abbey, but it wouldn't take much for it to pass from Dunny to the back of the BBE, especially with the amount of jumping around that was going on in the first half blink.gif

I know the bloke who was sat in front of me against the Dingles was dying last week and I've been feeling under the weather the last week, (thankfully it only seems to be a head cold so far).

Nonsense, I'd expect to read this sort of thing in The Sun or Star!. Any player with swine flu would have to turn towards the crowd and cough, sneeze or spit with great force to have a chance of infecting them. If there was any likelihood of a player infecting supporters in the manner suggested there would be stringent controls in place already. People in the crowd are a different matter and a very good way of contracting swine flu. Personal hygiene is really important in preventing the spread of swine flu and in football stadiums you can be guaranteed there will be people with low standards in this area.

i was coughing ,sneezing and bad chest since wed last week too.

If you suspect you have swine flu you should be staying at home

Archived