BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester United Vs Rovers

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the hammerings at Arsenal and Chelsea when the midfield failed abysmally to protect the defenders Saturdays showing represents progress and should be seen as such. Any success can only be built on becoming difficult to score against.

Progress this season, yes, although not overall.

I was at OT last year when they beat us 2-1. Our midfield was the same as Saturday, bar the inclusion of Grella v's Emerton - so theoretically, at least, it was stronger on Saturday.

We did have Cruz, but they had Ronaldo and Tevez. We gave them a hard game. So hard in fact, that I recall the walls reverberating for the final whistle.

Progress this season, yes, although not overall.

I was at OT last year when they beat us 2-1. Our midfield was the same as Saturday, bar the inclusion of Grella v's Emerton - so theoretically, at least, it was stronger on Saturday.

We did have Cruz, but they had Ronaldo and Tevez. We gave them a hard game. So hard in fact, that I recall the walls reverberating for the final whistle.

If the lino hadn't been such an inept twot there'd have been 70,000 whistling plastics on Sat desperate for the ref to blow up too.

If the lino hadn't been such an inept twot there'd have been 70,000 whistling plastics on Sat desperate for the ref to blow up too.

I think the phrase "Clutching at straws" should be applied here

I think the phrase "Clutching at straws" should be applied here

So you're saying it wasn't offside? Hardly clutching at straws, in fact he made a very valid point.

At 2-1 with a few minutes left the plastics would have been desperately whistling for the final whistle..

There were 4 minutes to go when Kalinics goal was disallowed, now the other 89 minutes or so at that point become totally irrelevant, so the argument about what had happened prior to that is invalid because, at 2 - 1 Sam would have gone long and pushed Samba right up top for the last few minutes and who knows what could have happened for pulling back to 2 - 1 Rovers are then in the ascendency, just like Man City did with us last year, we were coasting and comfortable, shipped a goal and they are the team in the ascendency, thats what happens in football.

I simply dont hold as to what happened prior to the disallowed goal, maybe a point was on or maybe not, one thing is for sure at that point it was 'Game on'

We were 2 - 0 down at Old Trafford after 89 mins without mustering a single shot on target. To suggest we could have come back from that is the overstatement of the century.

That was no doubt said 5 mins from time about MU v Bayern in Barcelona by countless thousands of surrender monkeys too but we all know what happened next! Alternatively what about Lpool in Istanbul? As Cloughie said 'it only takes a second to score a goal'. Just as an aside DP how many punches did Ali throw at Foreman compared to the punches thrown by Foreman at Ali before Ali landed the one that decked him? How many horses fell to allow 100/1 outsider Foinhaven to win the grand natonal?

Clutching at straws or not the simple fact is that but for a really superb piece of control and strike by Berbatov flukily following an absolutely crap one from Evra the match should have been 1-1. Whether you like it or not DP football is decided by goals not judged on points.

That was no doubt said 5 mins from time about MU v Bayern in Barcelona by countless thousands of surrender monkeys too but we all know what happened next! Alternatively what about Lpool in Istanbul? As Cloughie said 'it only takes a second to score a goal'. Just as an aside DP how many punches did Ali throw at Foreman compared to the punches thrown by Foreman at Ali before Ali landed the one that decked him? How many horses fell to allow 100/1 outsider Foinhaven to win the grand natonal?

Clutching at straws or not the simple fact is that but for a really superb piece of control and strike by Berbatov flukily following an absolutely crap one from Evra the match should have been 1-1. Whether you like it or not DP football is decided by goals not judged on points.

It is decided on goals, and we just got done 2-0, and rightly so. To pull it back to 2-1 after we'd taken a right doing would've been an unfair reflection on the game. We got beaten because we're not very good.

You can't be defeatist about a game we've already lost.

It is decided on goals, and we just got done 2-0, and rightly so. To pull it back to 2-1 after we'd taken a right doing would've been an unfair reflection on the game.

So what the hell does that matter? Are you turning into a closet Manc Bryan?

The examples you give are very valid and reason why I never leave till the final whistle. They also, the Clough one in particular, highlight the very dangerous approach Allardyce took against Burnley and emphasise why defending a lead is poor tactics.

So what the hell does that matter? Are you turning into a closet Manc Bryan?

No, it's just that if you're going to be hypothetical about it, then it's a bit of a one-eyed hypothesis.

If that goal had been allowed there would've been a few anxious moments for them, but they would still have won I'd have thought.

I'm not a closet anything, but I think it's fair to say we didn't deserve to get anything out of that game, so there's no point carping about what could've been.

I'm not a closet anything, but I think it's fair to say we didn't deserve to get anything out of that game, so there's no point carping about what could've been.

Granted but football has a habit of not always giving what is deserved and that works both ways..... and especially so with some of our past encounters with the red scum.

Can't find it on their site but Andy Cryer's match report is pretty much spot on.* Read it if you can.

*No doubt nicko will disagree of course. :rolleyes:

We were 2 - 0 down at Old Trafford after 89 mins without mustering a single shot on target. To suggest we could have come back from that is the overstatement of the century.

I think your underestimating the Rovers. We did get into ManU's box a few times during the first half, and that was without offensive commitment. The first half we looked strong defensively.

I think Sam's strategy is wear the other team down for the fist 50-60 minutes, then come in strong with fresh, attacking substitutions. We saw this with Pedersen (our supposed assist ace), McCarthy and then Kalinic. And even the ManU commentators were of the opinion that if Kalinic's goal had been allowed, it would have placed the home team under a lot of pressure. So Sam's strategy was not completely off in la-la land.

Archived