BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester United Vs Rovers

I would like us to go two up top for this game as at present both Ferdinand and Vidic are not on form. United's central midfield is getting old poor Scholes is nowhere near as fast as he used to be (physically at least) so perhaps we can afford to play two in there. I'm keen too see Emerton and N'zonzi fill those roles, N'zonzi win will the ariel battle in that area and Bert will easily be the quickest player in there, so we could actually have a couple of good advantages over them. I just don't see the need for the extra man in this game.

The more pressure we put on the two centre backs the better our chances will be of scoring a goal, and to get anything on our travels we definitely need to score. I'd honestly give it to the two young lads and see what trouble they can cause. Both are quite good off the ball and hopefully they can use that to create & exploit some space. Benni to come of the bench should it be required.

United are not playing too well at present but Pool aside they've been grinding them out, we need to harass them and from the off. None of this sitting back ala Chelsea rubbish a combo of pressure and zonal systems will be needed, so an in your face midfield display. That will be crucial.

--------------Robbo------------

Chimbonda--Samba--Nelsen---Givet

Dunn-----N'zonzi--Emerton--Pedersen

---------Di Santo--Kalinic-------

Yes bizarrely I've stuck Dunn out wide, you can't drop him but I'd like a stronger player in the middle defensively if playing a two. But Dunny will run at the United defence from there (N'zonzi can cover) and O' shea doesn't always do well against players with good feet. Yes, Gamst plays who's knows he just scored one so perhaps he'll carry it on (I also seem to recall he generally has a good track record against them?). Left back could be an issue, will he cope with Valencia's pace? Trouble is I think we have to put Chimbonda up against Giggs and I have a feeling that Valencia might do a lennon to Olsson. Chimbonda at right back as he's the best of the three defensively but can also get forward, plus Salgado and Giggs have had one or two battles before (again, memory check?).

But here's what I expect:

------------Robbo------------

Jacobsen--Samba--Givet--Chimbonda

----------Andrews-N'zonzi-----

Diouf----------Dunn---------Pedersen

-------------Di Santo---------

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been approached through the Fans Forum by ESPN who are looking for fans to make short recordings around the game on Saturday. This is his email: -

Thanks for your time earlier, as discussed I’m looking for Rovers fans to contribute to our new show on ESPN hosted by Chappers and Kelly Cates.

Here’s the website, you’ll get an idea of what we want from there:

www.espn.co.uk\talkoftheterrace

People can either use the website to submit stuff directly or email through to XXXXXXX. Another option is to text me directly - XXXXXX – if they have a phone that can capture video.

What we’re after is what you guys are talking about at and around the game. It might be a rant, it might be something offbeat, but it reflects what you think about your team and the league.

Best regards,

Gavin

If anyone is interested please pm me and I'll give you Gavin's contact details. It doesn't matter whether you're going to the game, watching it in the pub or at home - you can still get involved.

We conceded 6 against Arsenal with a back four of

Jacobsen Chimbonda Givet Olsson

We conceded 5 against Chelsea with a back four of

Jacobsen Nelsen Givet Olsson

The only difference being Nelsen in for Chimbonda, I don't think he should take sole responsibility for conceding 5 against Chelsea, when the same three defenders, Jacobsen, Givet, Olsson conceded more against Arsenal.

It's interesting to see Samba didn't play in either game, so if we have him back he will most certainly make a big difference.

I'd prefer Salgado at right back instead of Jacobsen, some people might argue he's hasn't got the pace but he can make a challenge and that's what we need, we need to close down more, Jacobsen is guilty of not closing down, GET INTO 'EM, 'N' F**K 'EM UP :brfcsmilie:

if olsonn plays then i know sam has completely given up on this fixture before ko and i'll play safe and say a mere 5-6 nil. IF the backline is jacobsen-samba-givet-chimbonda then i'll say 2 or 3 nil.

Hopefully when we get corners and freekicks everyone in the box starts coughing and sneezing to get themselves a bit of room.

Yeah. If Diouf has the disease he can go around like a sprinkler and ruin their premier league chances in one afternoon.

Chris Samba was on Radio Lancs tonight. He said he was not 100% and it would be up to the manager whether he would play or not. He didn't think the manaager would want to choose a player who was not 100%.

No player that has lost the weight he has in 2 days can be 100% right surely?!

I just hope he is 95% and Sam passes him fit enough - he is massive for us!!

Really hope we can get something out of this game or at the very least put in a good performance. Hopefully a lot of the players will have something to prove after the poor showing against Chelsea. Getting the midweek win in the cup will surely help confidence and morale a little bit but going to Old Trafford is going to be a whole different story.

If we can keep it tight for the first half hour or so and perhaps frustrate them then you never know, Robbo's going to need to have a good game and we'll have to take our chances because I doubt we'll get many.

Be interesting to see what side plays after the midweek game and people still being doubtful with the virus, crossing my fingers that Samba is fit enough to play because I think the results have shown that we miss his prescense at the back, he may not be lightning quick but we really lack pace in the center without him.

I just have a feeling we will who up for this game and will manage to sneak a 1-1 draw but who knows, they could be out to give someone a hiding after the Liverpool game, please don't let it be worse than Chelsea!

We usually do well when we go to Old Trafford. We won there a few seasons ago and we generally put up a good fight and haven't taken too many bad beatings if my memory is correct. Hopefully we can put up more of a fight than we did last week.

I felt we were a bit unfortunate when we lost 2-1 there last season. Ronaldo should have gone before he scored the winner and Rafael hauled MGP down in the box and nothing was given. After losing that game we then went and won at Fulham and Hull, before the run of 9 consecutive away defeats in the league. When you look at who we have actually played in those 9 defeats - you wouldn't have expected too many points. In those 9, we've had 2 trips to the Emirates, 2 trips to Stamford Bridge and 1 visit to Anfield, Goodison, The Brittania, Stadium of Light and Eastlands. I'm not saying that 9 defeats on the bounce is acceptable - but when you look at who we have actually lost to - it's not quite as bad as I thought.

I felt we were a bit unfortunate when we lost 2-1 there last season. Ronaldo should have gone before he scored the winner and Rafael hauled MGP down in the box and nothing was given. After losing that game we then went and won at Fulham and Hull, before the run of 9 consecutive away defeats in the league. When you look at who we have actually played in those 9 defeats - you wouldn't have expected too many points. In those 9, we've had 2 trips to the Emirates, 2 trips to Stamford Bridge and 1 visit to Anfield, Goodison, The Brittania, Stadium of Light and Eastlands. I'm not saying that 9 defeats on the bounce is acceptable - but when you look at who we have actually lost to - it's not quite as bad as I thought.

Very good point !

We still need to end this unfortunate sequence ASAP.

Got a good feeling about tomorrow....

I made that point the other week to someone I know...its not acceptable, but it does soften the blow. Following this game...we have a much easier run...if we could start with a point tomorrow then id be delighted!

ray of hope? vidic, ferdinand and neville injured or suspended!

Thats good news, although Neville isnt a big loss to them!

Some good news from Sam: SAMBA IS BACK!!!! CHIMBONDA IS BACK!!! DUNN IS BACK!!! GRELLA IS BACK!!! AND NZONZI IS FIT TOO!!! :brfc:

Nothing is going to change from the Arse/Chelsea matches. The team will be the same, the instructions will be the same and the scoreline will be the same. Andrews and Peds will be crucified in the post match reviews as usual. The score will be ManU a lot, us none.

I'm cheerful though, it's only 3 points that we were never going to get anyway, who cares about the score line. We'll finish mid table so the goal diff doesn't matter so let's whistle and look on the bright side of life. These are matches you just have to get out of the way.

I'll be wearing my pig mask although those who know me say they can't tell the difference.

Nice review by the way, love the humour.

Archived