BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Out...?

Stuart

• Backroom

One thing that strikes me about Sam and I'm not sure why I think it, he seems to dislike Rovers fans for some reason, maybe due to the facebook stuff.

The thought has crossed my mind that he is playing Andrews just to show everyone who's boss.

Either way right now I see him as the man for the job, if after 5 more games we are in the dropzone then things will have to be assessed.

Out of interest Philip who do you have in mind? I'm not too clued up on goings on abroad so not aware of managers overseas.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want sam to stop being so stubborn and actually let us play football, you just cant help but feel the players want to play and not conform to this anti football hoofball nonsense, benni is the original frustrating striker that wont conform to rules and now and again tends to put the ball in the net, sam could take a leaf out of benni's book and just fill the team full of confidence and let them play for a change without some kind of strict regime.

Jisty, your thread title is the problem.

Martinez and Coyle were ideal candidates the last two times we had vacancies. DiMatteo is doing a fine job and the number two at West Ham could be worth a look. Mancini of course is without a job at present. And that is straight off the top without having thought deeply about it as there is very little likelihood of a vacancy. Rovers would have to have a nightmare November and December for Sam's job to be at risk whilst no Chairman of a club Sam might dream about managing is going to touch him with a bargepole based on the stuff Rovers are currently playing.

You have just played three of the worst away fixtures of the season in a back-to-back sequence.

What is it with modern-day fans who seem to think a rant and rave is needed at a time like this?

Get real.

If you beat Portsmouth next week you will have twice as many points as them.

I really do despair about the knee-jerk stuff that goes on.

You had your best back four out today for the first time [in my opinion] and they looked good. The midfield is lacking, but that was known and will be addressed. The kid up front will get you goals with service.

Just face the facts, Rovers are now a member of the bottom half club. There is no harm in that. Just don't compare it to an era long gone.

This is reality. Deal with it.

Oh come off it Nicko, it's not a modern disease for fans to rant and rave. The only difference now is that it's broadcast world wide through message boards like this. In days gone bye the ranting and raving by fans was restricted to the domain of tap rooms, week in week out from Carlisle to Plymouth. Win or lose someone would have a knee jerk reaction.(heck even during the championship season at Rovers players got stick)

Football, nay sport is about dreams and opinions, remove the dream and the right to discuss the various opinions and the game would have no consequence and die. Then what would the media fill their tv schedules and back pages with.

Foot note,

I think the problem with this topic is the heading.

This is my first ever post guys so you all may have to bare with me. I just have to reply to this because i honestly cant believe we're discussing this. FFS this is the bloke who saved our arses last season, no one else could have done what he did and if it weren't for Sam,today we,d have been away at the likes of Doncaster or Plymouth ( no disrespect to them ) and not the champions of England !!!!

i disagree, keeping us up last season was not an impossible feat, besides bentley and friedel it was a squad that came 7th the sesson before, we were in that position because of the complete ineptitude of ince. Any half decent manager could have got us out of that position, and our form towards the end of the season was terrible, a nil nil draw against a relegated west brom side on tugays last game is atrocious, no wonder he jumped ship to city. I'm growing more and more disillusioned with the current regime, I dont expect us to beat the top 4 but i do expect us to compete. We're turning into a laughing stock

Oh come off it Nicko, it's not a modern disease for fans to rant and rave. The only difference now is that it's broadcast world wide through message boards like this. In days gone bye the ranting and raving by fans was restricted to the domain of tap rooms, week in week out from Carlisle to Plymouth. Win or lose someone would have a knee jerk reaction.(heck even during the championship season at Rovers players got stick)

Football, nay sport is about dreams and opinions, remove the dream and the right to discuss the various opinions and the game would have no consequence and die. Then what would the media fill their tv schedules and back pages with.

Foot note,

I think the problem with this topic is the heading.

It is a modern disease to rant and rave. I used to get furious with my team but I still went back every week and didn't throw the toys out of the pram. And when we won all was forgiven.

The modern disease is people getting on phone-ins and whingeing on other platforms instead of taking a breath.

We are in the X Factor generation here. It is a serious issue. Everybody wants to press a button and have their say.

Two weeks ago everything was wonderful because you beat your neighbours. Your home form is excellent. Your football can be dull at times, but to be fair I have also seen some decent stuff this season.

The Premier League's top six or seven are now much stronger than the rest...it happens. The only way it changes is if one or two of them go bust. That could be the outcome.

So in the meantime just remember what supporting a team is about.

I'm not a Big Sam sycophant - you know that from the past - but the time to judge is at the end of the season and NOT after three hard away games.

You played well and were positive at Arsenal and got no breaks. You had your best two in-form players missing at Chelsea and they ARE a proper team. You held Man U - albeit under-strength - and were in the game for 80 minutes.

It could be worse. You could blow a 1-0 lead at home to Raith Rovers.

You have just played three of the worst away fixtures of the season in a back-to-back sequence.

What is it with modern-day fans who seem to think a rant and rave is needed at a time like this?

Get real.

If you beat Portsmouth next week you will have twice as many points as them.

I really do despair about the knee-jerk stuff that goes on.

You had your best back four out today for the first time [in my opinion] and they looked good. The midfield is lacking, but that was known and will be addressed. The kid up front will get you goals with service.

Just face the facts, Rovers are now a member of the bottom half club. There is no harm in that. Just don't compare it to an era long gone.

This is reality. Deal with it.

Unfortunately Alan this spoilt child attitude (along with the excellent stadium of course) is the real and lasting legacy of the Walker years.

This is my first ever post guys so you all may have to bare with me. I just have to reply to this because i honestly cant believe we're discussing this. FFS this is the bloke who saved our arses last season, no one else could have done what he did and if it weren't for Sam,today we,d have been away at the likes of Doncaster or Plymouth ( no disrespect to them ) and not the champions of England !!!!

I'd imagine that you are over 35 dillhallblue...... Am I right?

It is a modern disease to rant and rave. I used to get furious with my team but I still went back every week and didn't throw the toys out of the pram. And when we won all was forgiven.

The modern disease is people getting on phone-ins and whingeing on other platforms instead of taking a breath.

We are in the X Factor generation here. It is a serious issue. Everybody wants to press a button and have their say.

Two weeks ago everything was wonderful because you beat your neighbours. Your home form is excellent. Your football can be dull at times, but to be fair I have also seen some decent stuff this season.

The Premier League's top six or seven are now much stronger than the rest...it happens. The only way it changes is if one or two of them go bust. That could be the outcome.

I'm not a Big Sam sycophant - you know that from the past - but the time to judge is at the end of the season and NOT after three hard away games.

You played well and were positive at Arsenal and got no breaks. You had your best two in-form players missing at Chelsea and they ARE a proper team. You held Man U - albeit under-strength - and were in the game for 80 minutes.

I can understand exactly what you are saying but I think you need to consider a few points:

I'm 55 which is hardly X Factor Generation - I don't watch such garbage, read tabloids or the celebrity magazines. Everyone I know, real people not messageboard warriors, who is unhappy with Rovers and Allardyce is over 45, a pretty similar generation to mine.

I used to get really, really angry. Until recently I'd have been steaming mad at some of the stuff I've seen this season. Yesterday my team didn't manage to get me out of my seat or singing once. I have become more and more disillusioned with football in general but until very recently have been able to muster the enthusiasm to go. Since Allardyce arrived I have started missing FA and League Cup games and when given a clash between a home PL game and something else (like next saturday) I don't go to the football. In over 40 years of watching football the ONLY other times I have missed games have been for the kids Christmas party.

You're right it is a serious issue but the issue is not people expressing their opinions. The issue is if long-term, dyed in the wool ST holders like me are disillusioned and stop going then clubs like Rovers are dead in the water. I pay the bill, not for one but for several fans. I've supported 4 kids through a childhood of watching Rovers, if I hadn't they'd be Utd fans. Two of my lot begged me to let them support Utd though they laugh about it now. What is a serious issue is the soap opera that the media have turned the modern game into, I've said this for years till I'm blue in the face but Sky,followed by the rest of the media, have completely screwed the game.

We've all ranted for years and years, and like you I used to turn up week after week regardless. Why? because there was always a chance. Today there is no chance. I spent £110 yesterday to watch a game we were never going to win. Next Friday I'll spend around £120-£130 staying in hotel with one of my sons, then spend all Saturday with his and my friends taking part in a sporting event, won't get home till perhaps 9.00pm. Guess what we'll have a bloody good time, come home tired but elated. Compare that to sitting in a crap plastic seat at Old Trafford for 90 minutes knowing you're going to lose - there is no comparison.

I only care about two games this season and one of them is costing me a bloody fortune in away travel to secure a ticket. The reason is simple against Burnley we will watch real football not the rubbish which Sky, the media, money, the collective PL chairmen and percentage managers like Allardyce have created. I am football fan and it hurts a great deal that the game which used to excite me to the point my wife thought I was having a heart attack when Shearer rose to score against Newcastle on VE Day is no longer anything to worry about. I was emotionless at OT last night.

Don't blame the support for ranting we didn't F*** it up in the first place.

The point of this thread is for people to have a good old think about who could do a better job that Sam. At this very moment.

Fact is, I can't honestly think of anyone.

I can Jisty. It's a straight choice between the two outstanding candidates as far as I can see .... Albus Dumbledore and Gandalf the White. :rolleyes:

The underlying point I am making is that you should blame the fixture computer at the moment.

You have had your three nightmare away games in a row.

This is not the time for snap judgements.

Or, at least, it shouldn't be.

I don't like a lot of things about the modern game, but what's the alternative?

Football could be heading for bigger changes soon, it could go back to being more 'real' and hopefully so.

But in the meantime it is total madness to be thinking about a managerial change on the back of three games that would be home wins against bigger, richer and better clubs than yourselves.

I can understand exactly what you are saying but I think you need to consider a few points:

I'm 55 which is hardly X Factor Generation - I don't watch such garbage, read tabloids or the celebrity magazines. Everyone I know, real people not messageboard warriors, who is unhappy with Rovers and Allardyce is over 45, a pretty similar generation to mine.

I used to get really, really angry. Until recently I'd have been steaming mad at some of the stuff I've seen this season. Yesterday my team didn't manage to get me out of my seat or singing once. I have become more and more disillusioned with football in general but until very recently have been able to muster the enthusiasm to go. Since Allardyce arrived I have started missing FA and League Cup games and when given a clash between a home PL game and something else (like next saturday) I don't go to the football. In over 40 years of watching football the ONLY other times I have missed games have been for the kids Christmas party.

You're right it is a serious issue but the issue is not people expressing their opinions. The issue is if long-term, dyed in the wool ST holders like me are disillusioned and stop going then clubs like Rovers are dead in the water. I pay the bill, not for one but for several fans. I've supported 4 kids through a childhood of watching Rovers, if I hadn't they'd be Utd fans. Two of my lot begged me to let them support Utd though they laugh about it now. What is a serious issue is the soap opera that the media have turned the modern game into, I've said this for years till I'm blue in the face but Sky,followed by the rest of the media, have completely screwed the game.

We've all ranted for years and years, and like you I used to turn up week after week regardless. Why? because there was always a chance. Today there is no chance. I spent £110 yesterday to watch a game we were never going to win. Next Friday I'll spend around £120-£130 staying in hotel with one of my sons, then spend all Saturday with his and my friends taking part in a sporting event, won't get home till perhaps 9.00pm. Guess what we'll have a bloody good time, come home tired but elated. Compare that to sitting in a crap plastic seat at Old Trafford for 90 minutes knowing you're going to lose - there is no comparison.

I only care about two games this season and one of them is costing me a bloody fortune in away travel to secure a ticket. The reason is simple against Burnley we will watch real football not the rubbish which Sky, the media, money, the collective PL chairmen and percentage managers like Allardyce have created. I am football fan and it hurts a great deal that the game which used to excite me to the point my wife thought I was having a heart attack when Shearer rose to score against Newcastle on VE Day is no longer anything to worry about. I was emotionless at OT last night.

Paul, you need to target your anger away from BRFC and towards the Champions league, The Prem and Sky. Their greed is responsible for the state of English football today. The following may not be particularly relevent to this thread but this morning I sent this email to an old school chum and Lpool fan who currently lives in India and who was whingeing about the current state of Liverpool FC.

"At least we (BRFC) are solvent. It's criminally irresponsible that the English clubs in the Champions League and who 'enjoy' the biggest incomes are submerged in massive and crippling debt. Lpool owing 400m with assets that don't cover that amount is incredible enough but next year MU's debt will stand at £1billion! Every year they will have to do the impossible and unearth, develop and sell a Ronaldo type player for 70m just to service the debt. I see there's noises this weekend linking Rooney to RM. I wonder what will happen when RM go skint too?

If Putin tires of Abromovich or Abromovich tires of Chelsea Chelsea could be history too. The only 'solvent' big 4 club are Arsenal and imo that's cos for some reason Wenger acts like Arsenal's money is his own. That man is worth a fortune to any top football club. Compare his financial performance with Ferguson who is a great motivator and whose record is fantastic but has spent hugely whilst Rafa and Houllier before him have spent gazillions with no real end product. I've a feeling all this will end in tears. Que sera sera might well apply."

Yesterday I sent this email to a gentleman of the press of my aquaintence who was inquiring if I was going to OT......

"Sorry but no. At the risk of sounding like a surrender monkey after Arsenal and Chelsea away in recent weeks I'll be drowning my sorrows (in morose anticipation) watching the telly in the pub. btw Just as an aside I've vowed never to travel to an away match at a Champions League club. The revenue from the Champions League (and place money) has created a huge imbalance in the finances of the CL clubs and the other 16 clubs. As a result the press and media (red tops in particular) sickeningly fawn all over the big clubs and in the process act as a PR arm for them. The hope and expectations of fans of other clubs have been dashed all over the country. It's created an unhealthy situation for football in the long term imo. The only really interesting issue in todays football is the relegation from and promotion to the Premier League. I'm surprised more is not made of this in the eternal battle for circulation and viewing figures."

I fully agree with what you are saying Nicko. But as for your last sentence,and putting my Pars scarf on for a minute; I am probably the only member of this MB that has even the least idea just how unthinkable that nightmare scenario really is.

So for the benefit of my fellow Roverites........the thought of losing at home to Raith Rovers for any Pars fan is at the very least equivalent to Blackburn Rovers strongest 11 losing at Ewood to Burnley reserves. Yes it really IS that bad!!

I think Paul summed it up nicely.

I'm of a generation similar to Paul, (well a couple of years older) and attending games was like a religion. No matter what was dished up on Saturday would turn up the following week, travelling the length and breadth of the country. First team, reserves and youth team games in the knowledge that 99% of the time, win or lose, I would be entertained.

I dont blame Sam, as the rot has been in place for some time, not just at Rovers but throughout the game. Football is no longer the sport in the true sense but a multi million pound industry, where the greed of mercenary players, agent etc has taken away the affinity between the fans and the players. The only loyalty these days is by the fans that turn up week in week out.

I fully agree with you Paul. Something has to be done to stop the huge inequality between the top few in the Premier League and the whole rest of English football. It's not just the bottom half of the Premier League that have no hope of competing it's the whole of the rest of football. This is evidenced by the fact that clubs euphorious by winning promotion from the Championship more often than not finish the following season by being relegated. The gap between the haves and the have nots is too big and needs to be addressed.

I no longer have the will to pay big money to go to away matches knowing, before I buy my ticket, that we have no chance of winning and are most likely to get a stuffing.

This inequality unfortunately encourages the glory hunters to abandon their local sides to go and support the glory clubs and the situation gets progressively worse. The number of Manu. shirts I see around Accrington disgusts me.

I am not clever enough to suggest a solution but something has to be done or domestic football will become progressively less competetive and therefore less interesting to the paying public.

Perhaps Platini has a point after all.

I think the word is perspective. If you had lost 6-2 and then 5-0 to Gillingham and Peterborough, then by all means declare a crisis.

You gave Arsenal a run but got battered in the end. Have you seen how many goals they have scored this season? You are not alone.

You got gubbed by Chelsea without your best defender and attacking player. Chelsea have run up 17 goals in four games, including a thumping of Atletico Madrid. Not the worst company.

You were in the game at Man U, even if it was a defensive philosophy throughout. You could have sneaked one and even got a point.

Those games have gone, the rest of the bottom half have still to feel that pain.

Move on.

I think the word is perspective. If you had lost 6-2 and then 5-0 to Gillingham and Peterborough, then by all means declare a crisis.

You gave Arsenal a run but got battered in the end. Have you seen how many goals they have scored this season? You are not alone.

You got gubbed by Chelsea without your best defender and attacking player. Chelsea have run up 17 goals in four games, including a thumping of Atletico Madrid. Not the worst company.

You were in the game at Man U, even if it was a defensive philosophy throughout. You could have sneaked one and even got a point.

Those games have gone, the rest of the bottom half have still to feel that pain.

Move on.

Are you honestly saying there isn't a flagrant problem with our away form? Let's not forget that Everton whooped us 3-0 in another limp performance where we were devoid of ideas. It's a problem that needs to be addressed if we really want to maximize our points tally this season.

I fully agree with you Paul. Something has to be done to stop the huge inequality between the top few in the Premier League and the whole rest of English football.

I think you mean you agree with me Al. 90% of Pauls post is having a pop at Allardyce and BRFC in general with real issues of football finances and the structure of the Prem etc as an afterthought.

Are you honestly saying there isn't a flagrant problem with our away form? Let's not forget that Everton whooped us 3-0 in another limp performance where we were devoid of ideas. It's a problem that needs to be addressed if we really want to maximize our points tally this season.

A lot of teams are finding it hard away from home this season. It seems to be a trend.

I would agree that your away approach lacks adventure, but you have had a murderous run of games. So now is really not the time to judge.

The preferred system of 4-4-1-1 is hard to play against accomplished and attacking sides because the man in the hole gets bypassed by both sides, his own and the opposition. But in most of the more even games - even away - it is actually an attacking line-up.

I don't think Rovers have played what I would describe as their strongest side too often this season, so the results have been mixed. There are reasons for that, but this is why you have to assess over a season not after a rough ride.

If you get your best side on the park and keep it there [until Di Santo's future is sorted] this will be the low point of the season.

If you got tubbed on your own patch against Portsmouth that would be a problem. But you have passed most of your home tests so far.

Arsenal stuck 6 past Everton at Goodison, they also whalloped Pompey and Wigan by 4 goals and stuffed megabucks spurs by 3 yesterday. Chelsea have scored 17 goals in the last 4 matches. MU although not quite as prolific as the other two have stuck 5 past Wigan and 3 past Spurs this season. The gap caused by the CL and Sky is the widest it has ever been

So in that light whilst not exactly happy I've not really a problem with our away form in October. Did you expect us to get something from those clubs?

If you got tubbed on your own patch against Portsmouth that would be a problem. But you have passed most of your home tests so far.

The danger is relaxing. Pompey seem to be getting their act together.

A lot of teams are finding it hard away from home this season. It seems to be a trend.

I would agree that your away approach lacks adventure, but you have had a murderous run of games. So now is really not the time to judge.

The preferred system of 4-4-1-1 is hard to play against accomplished and attacking sides because the man in the hole gets bypassed by both sides, his own and the opposition. But in most of the more even games - even away - it is actually an attacking line-up.

I don't think Rovers have played what I would describe as their strongest side too often this season, so the results have been mixed. There are reasons for that, but this is why you have to assess over a season not after a rough ride.

If you get your best side on the park and keep it there [until Di Santo's future is sorted] this will be the low point of the season.

Nicko, everything you've posted on here has been spot on. Some of the comments, vitriol and downright spite spouted on here is nothing short of embarrasing. We lost 2 - 0 to the champions. We didn't lost 10 - 0 as Abbey predicted. Give Sam the chance to build HIS team. It takes years, literally, to do that and I imagine a number of the current squad wouldn't be Sam's first choice. For all you fans who must get hard-ons posting negative @#/? about Sam and the current squad, get over yourselves. Legitimate criticism is one thing, the stuff spouted on here is beyond justifiable and some of it is downright insane. I am, honestly, constantly embarrased to read the posts on here from supposedly intelligent people. The hatred, and it is downright hatred, shown towards a football man and our clubs manager for just being there is unreal. If you support the club, get behind the manager and the team even if you don't like him. That's what being a football supporter is about.

Support your club, don't boo an average player because he happens to be in the squad and you don't think he should be. So you think you have a say? When did that happen? The manager is paid to make those decisions, you might disagree and you might say he's useless but don't boo the player! When did football support become a talent show where you can vote your favourites on and the ones you don't like off? It's all about being the supporter through thick and thin, when you dislike the manager, the chairman whoever. You don't have to agree with what they do and sometimes standing up and shouting when something is REALLY wrong is the right thing to do but not because you're team hasn't won away yet... We will. Sam will get it right.

FFS IVAN AND IMY...DONT YOU KNOW SARCASM WHEN I PUT 10-0.

YEARS TO BUILD A TEAM? WE DONT HAVE YEARS!!

THE STANDERD OF FOOTBALL IS DIRE AND IF YOU CANT SEE IT THEN IT BUGGERS BELIEF.

ive been and still am a supporter thru thick and thin but the minimum i expect is for my team to at least try and win EVERY game we partake in (i know we wont ) but i expect we at least try.

I'd imagine that you are over 35 dillhallblue...... Am I right?

Ha Ha Ha ... No i'm not ... but not far off. I'm just a realist. At the beginning of the month we'd all have took beating the dingles and progressing in the cup, which we've done.

Maybe snatching the odd point out of the three toughies but it were never gonna happen. We now have a month of very winnable games ..... lets see where we are on the 1st Dec

FFS IVAN AND IMY...DONT YOU KNOW SARCASM WHEN I PUT 10-0.

YEARS TO BUILD A TEAM? WE DONT HAVE YEARS!!

THE STANDERD OF FOOTBALL IS DIRE AND IF YOU CANT SEE IT THEN IT BUGGERS BELIEF.

ive been and still am a supporter thru thick and thin but the minimum i expect is for my team to at least try and win EVERY game we partake in (i know we wont ) but i expect we at least try.

Sorry Abbey but it didn't come across as sarcasm. I never said you can't have an opinion but the shocking comments made about Sam and the players, Andrews in particular don't come from supporters.

Archived