BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A Letter From The Council

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably a bit of confusion here.

"How to be a taxi driver" is written in 18 languages so that anyone can apply.

How to pass the Driving Test and then become a taxi driver is in English.

So that the signs can be undertood.

What's the problem?

I was chatting to a taxi diver late one Fri neet. He hadn't a clue about Blackburn and I had to direct him all the way to my house, his English was absolutely awful too. Anyway I casually asked whereabouts on the Indian sub continenet he was from (Pakistan), if he had come over to marry (yes), how long he had been here and what part of Blackburn he was staying etc etc. Innocent questions but by the time I got home he seemed terrified and wouldn't take any money from me! 'eees OK, ees nutting' I told him that nobody works for nothing and gave him a fiver whereupon he shook my hand in what I can only describe as relief and repeatedly called me his friend. I told him I wasn't his freind and that I was just a punter wanting a lift home. If he was a. licenesd / qualified to drive a cab and b. supposed to be in this country then I'll show my backside on the town hall steps.

So..... Do the Town Hall still carry out spot checks on cabs late at night or did the spate of wildcat taxi strikes on Fri/Sat nights leaving loads of kids stuck in town deter them? Presumably as intended?

What's the problem?

I think the letter Cletus received was because he was a taxi driver, thus meaning that everyone who received that letter, could understand, speak and write english.

I`ve just recieved a letter from the council (Blackburn with Darwen) regarding the licensing laws surrounding my job (i`m a taxi driver)

Now before i get to the point in question i must tell you that to obtain a license from BwD council, you need to 'prove' to the council you can actually speak & read English via means of a simple 'knowledge test' & an interview with a member of the licensing authority.....not to mention taking your driving test again & filling in countless forms. Basically you get told "understanding the English language is essential to do this job"

....so, i recieve a letter this morning from BwD council. Guess how many languages this letter is written in? :huh: 1? 2? 3?

No.

The letter is written in 18 languages!!! :o

I find it absolutely laughable! :lol: For a letter to be written in 18 languages, when the subject matter requires you to read, write & understand English.

Has the world gone mad? :wacko:

Welcome to Blackburn, hope the 18 different languages adequately covers the 140 different nationalities that currently reside in the town

Some of the taxi's I've been in and the so-called indigenous drivers wouldn't pass the tests the OP talked about <_<

Still, I'm all for a multi-cultural society but let's be frank - 18 languages is just completely and totally stupid. Putting aside the rights and wrongs of this (and I think it's wrong for the record) if you really do need to cover alternative languages I'd be surprised if 90%+ of the target community couldn't be covered by 3 or 4 languages maximum. The rest would need to use Google translate I'm afraid. This is where our taxes get wasted.

The other alternative I would suggest is that the council get one single phrase translated into 18 or even 140 languages, and that phrase is this. "This letter is written in English. If you require a translation please send a cheque for £100 to the following address with the language you require written on the back"

Some of the taxi's I've been in and the so-called indigenous drivers wouldn't pass the tests the OP talked about <_<

Still, I'm all for a multi-cultural society but let's be frank - 18 languages is just completely and totally stupid. Putting aside the rights and wrongs of this (and I think it's wrong for the record) if you really do need to cover alternative languages I'd be surprised if 90%+ of the target community couldn't be covered by 3 or 4 languages maximum. The rest would need to use Google translate I'm afraid. This is where our taxes get wasted.

The other alternative I would suggest is that the council get one single phrase translated into 18 or even 140 languages, and that phrase is this. "This letter is written in English. If you require a translation please send a cheque for £100 to the following address with the language you require written on the back"

Just to play devil's advocate, how would they know if they need a translation?

Just to play devil's advocate, how would they know if they need a translation?

They used to teach English in Blackburn police station in the 50's and 60's. Any imported citizens who claimed not to understand any English when questioned were treated to a mock (they didn't know it was mock mind you ;) ) firing squad involving the station's Lee Enfield 303, an optional blindfold, a wall and a cigarette. Apparently communication in spoken English was established before one could say Allahu Akbar. ^_^

You didn't read it properly - I said that you only needed to have that one phrase translated in as many languages as you liked. The rest would be in English.

I think I read it fine:

If the only translated bit is effectively "This letter is written in English", then how do they know what it's about to order know they need to request a translation. I guess you are hoping they will send £100 to translate every letter sent by the council.

Anyway, I'm not saying I agree with the letter. For a taxi driver to prove he can understand English, I'd expect him to be able to read a simple letter in English!

What's the problem?

I didn`t say that Colin.

The letter i recieved was sent to people who are already taxi drivers, therefore they should be capable of understanding the English language as it`s an essential part of their job description when applying to become a taxi driver.

I didn`t say that Colin.

The letter i recieved was sent to people who are already taxi drivers, therefore they should be capable of understanding the English language as it`s an essential part of their job description when applying to become a taxi driver.

OK Cletus, point accepted. Apologies for misunderstanding.

I would also add in english.ANYONE DANGLING A BLACK READ AT THE REAR OF THE CAR IS GOING TO BE ARRESTED IMMEDIETLY AND CHARGED WITH RACICISM Deported would be better and a much fairer option abbey. If people are unhappy here we should do all in our powers to repatriate them. We should look upon it as a duty to help them find happiness.

A BEAR MINIMUM TO SPEAK BLOODY THE NATIVE TONGUE IN THE ANY SORT OF JOB ISNT MUCH TO ASK.IF IN BRITAIN SPEAK ENGLISH,IF IN FRANCE SPEAK FRENCH !!!!! ITS NOT MUCH TOO ASK .

errr pedants corner here, but if we're going to call for foriegn types to learn the lingo... its BARE minimum, not bear.

think you will find its more on the lines of Al-Qaeda supporters and a hatred of all things white.

So, that taxi driver who has "a hatred of all things white" stops to pick you (whitey) up. Then presumably refuses to take your custom.

Then you have a look at the back of the car & "refuse to get in cabs with it and i tell them too. "

How do you work out if it's you or the taxi driver who has got the principles not to drive you home? Is it a shared agreement?

How do you get home?

I've done a few 5 mile "beer goggles " in my time, but never because a mini cab driver has a bit of rope on the back of his car. All credit to you for walking those miles for the sake of a bit of rope.

So, that taxi driver who has "a hatred of all things white" stops to pick you (whitey) up. Then presumably refuses to take your custom.

Then you have a look at the back of the car & "refuse to get in cabs with it and i tell them too. "

How do you work out if it's you or the taxi driver who has got the principles not to drive you home? Is it a shared agreement?

How do you get home?

I've done a few 5 mile "beer goggles " in my time, but never because a mini cab driver has a bit of rope on the back of his car. All credit to you for walking those miles for the sake of a bit of rope.

Good very even handed and forgiving Colin. Hands across the ocean / turn the other cheek / to forgive is divine and all that .... so just as a matter of interest how would you get home if the taxi turned up decorated with swastikas on the doors with a little Crusader on the bonnet and with the driver dressed in an SS uniform?

Am I right to assume that you had not considered the other side of that particular coin or do your sensibilities and morals depend on simply whether it's raining or not? :rolleyes:

Archived