BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

• Backroom

We tend to play 1 upfront.....now between now and the end of the season we have Kalinic, Di Santo, Roberts & Hoilett who could all play there...and Samba if need be.

Can hardly see us being short of strikers between now and the summer...and if that happens then its just bad luck!

Not really, it's bad planning.

Whatever we think the fact is Sam tried to bring in another striker we shows he thinks we needed it just wasn't prepared well enough to land one.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really, it's bad planning.

Whatever we think the fact is Sam tried to bring in another striker we shows he thinks we needed it just wasn't prepared well enough to land one.

He wasn't ABLE to prepare though. What would have happened if his work permit was rejected and we'd brought someone in? We'd have been buggered in terms of wages. We could only buy when we got the money, which was saturday afternoon. The window closed on monday afternoon.

He wasn't ABLE to prepare though. What would have happened if his work permit was rejected and we'd brought someone in? We'd have been buggered in terms of wages. We could only buy when we got the money, which was saturday afternoon. The window closed on monday afternoon.

If I'm selling my car, but it needs to be inspected first, I'll still have a deal in place with the car dealer on its replacement. We should have been further along in discussions about possible targets than we were - just ready to formalise the offer, knowing it matched valuation.

If I'm selling my car, but it needs to be inspected first, I'll still have a deal in place with the car dealer on its replacement. We should have been further along in discussions about possible targets than we were - just ready to formalise the offer, knowing it matched valuation.

That would have meant bidding with money we didn't have. Then agent fees come into it too (they'll want paying even without a deal). I know it would only be 2mill, but a club of our size can't be fecking about with money like that. And again, look at who our targets were.

Perhaps I'm being naive. But I didnt like the targets and much prefer the money. If we needed Benni (or indeed a replacement) we'll find out shortly.

Strange are the ways of the market! Sebastian Eguren, the Uruguay central midfielder from Villareal we were supposedly after, failed a medical at Lazio and today, desperate to get games before the summers World Cup, signed on a short term loan to AIK in the Swedish league...

• Backroom

That would have meant bidding with money we didn't have. Then agent fees come into it too (they'll want paying even without a deal). I know it would only be 2mill, but a club of our size can't be fecking about with money like that. And again, look at who our targets were.

Perhaps I'm being naive. But I didnt like the targets and much prefer the money. If we needed Benni (or indeed a replacement) we'll find out shortly.

The point I was making is Sam obviously thought the squad needed another striker irrelevent of your or any of our opinions of his targets

The point I was making is Sam obviously thought the squad needed another striker irrelevent of your or any of our opinions of his targets

Well not necessarily. he might have seen it just like some of us. It would have been convenient to get another body in....I jest now. Straw-clutching. Good point and well made. :tu:

• Backroom

For the record, thanks to the last couple of wins if we can go and beat Bolton tomorrow the gamble looks like it has paid off and Sam will be proven right, especially if Basturk is a hit he could potentially offer us everything Benni did.

The summer will be very interesting and quite possibly once again depressing from a Rovers fans point of view.

For the record, thanks to the last couple of wins if we can go and beat Bolton tomorrow the gamble looks like it has paid off and Sam will be proven right, especially if Basturk is a hit he could potentially offer us everything Benni did.

The summer will be very interesting and quite possibly once again depressing from a Rovers fans point of view.

This is another point. Benni was a striker being played in the hole. Basturk is a natural in that position and was once one of the best in the world at it. If he's half as good as he was between 4 and 10 years ago, he will be better at it than Benni ever was.

Let's hope we are not sitting here crying out for someone of Benni's talent between now and mid-May then.

Funny how all our best talent of recent years have nowt in their heads. Thats Benny, Bentley and Bellamy all out of favour and in hot water with their clubs and wasting their God given talents recently. :rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for Nicko to tell us what has happened to his pal, "the mesiah" and particularly his eye for a signing i.e. Wilshere and Weiss who all the world were after apparently, but Owen Coyle won the races - both bench warmers today. If they cannot get selected for that lot, well............

What are the odds on OC taking two clubs down?

"missed chances" my arse!

I hope that Sam is keeping tabs on this guy. Marko Pantelic is a goal machine. He may be the wrong side of 30, but he would be a quality addition to our team.

If he's wrong side of 30 I doubt he'd be coming here. The manager likes to rejuvenate older players but already has a couple of those projects and for the rest of his squad he seems to be looking at younger players wherever possible.

Looks like we are busy buying promising youngsters for the future again....this time from Southport...

Zac Alley

I'm sure I'd read that we'd signed this lad earlier, but nonetheless, I'm happy with the continuing youth policy being brought in! Although I'm not happy reaching the stage where some pro-players are now younger than me! :angry2:

Edit - VERY bad typo

Archived