BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

I saw that guy Senijad Ibricic playing earlier for Bosnia against Portugal. All I can say is sign him up! He was brilliant. He had great pace, worked back continuously, showed great levels of fitness, was a threat going forward, delivered some great balls into the box and could have scored with a thumping header against the bar. I hope that Sam and the scouts were watching as well.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that guy Senijad Ibricic playing earlier for Bosnia against Portugal. All I can say is sign him up! He was brilliant. He had great pace, worked back continuously, showed great levels of fitness, was a threat going forward, delivered some great balls into the box and could have scored with a thumping header against the bar. I hope that Sam and the scouts were watching as well.

Not sure if we where watching him but Celtic certainly where.

From a web site, player ratings.

Ibricic: 5 - He should have been marking Bruno Alves for the goal but failed to track him, allowing Portugal to score their only goal. :(

If Celtic is the only opposition for the Ibricic signature- no problem, we have got him if we want him and can pay. Unfortunately, I think a lot more powerful clubs are looking at him.

I agree, maybe Kalinic is the key though, if we can find some money, pretty pretty please (the trust) anyone.

I agree, maybe Kalinic is the key though, if we can find some money, pretty pretty please (the trust) anyone.

He could play a pivotal role for us should we move for the lad. I really hope we do, pace, creativity, work ethic and good all round play last night. I thought he had a good game, would make a welcome addition to the team.

Sam wants us to keep it tight and try to nick a goal in the second half. Therefore, we could do with a creative midfielder, someone with experience preferably, who can come on and change a game for the last 30 mins or so, if required.

I wish we still had Tugs!

Unfortunately, I think a lot more powerful clubs are looking at him.

Any word on who? I wouldn't be surprised if some big Bundesliga teams were interested. Bosnia's four big name players play there already, with Edin Džeko and Zvjezdan Misimović both at Wolfsburg and Sejad Salihović and Vedad Ibišević both at Hoffenheim.

Sounds more likely than 'nothing at all to spend'.

It just seems likely that the club didn't want to invest more than they needed to at the start of the season. So it makes sense to me that they will see what position the team is in by January and if we're in safe mid-table position, they may invest in new players and at the same time Sam will have had a chance to assess the players he has now and sell whoever is surplus to requirements.

I am not at my own PC so don't have my notes to hand but here are my guesses where money might come from for wages and transfer fees IF there is any:

- a bit left from the Warnock sale at the end of last window aided by loaning out Zura to make the over-run on wages this season less painful than it would otherwise be. The sale of Gallagher was also late in the summer window and took a suprisingly big wage off the payroll.

- Warnock's fee was undisclosed but it is a fair bet that a chunk of it was triggered by appearances. In which case a pot of money that could not be banked in August might be looking bankable now. On the same basis, there might (emphasise might) be some cash coming from Spurs from the contingent part of the Bentley deal.

- having pushed the bank borrowings down in the summer, there might now be scope for borrowing a bit more. Di Santo might be a more bankable proposition than any signing we've made over the past 18 months.

It just seems likely that the club didn't want to invest more than they needed to at the start of the season. So it makes sense to me that they will see what position the team is in by January and if we're in safe mid-table position, they may invest in new players and at the same time Sam will have had a chance to assess the players he has now and sell whoever is surplus to requirements.

How could you possibly know?

As far as we know, there's no more money coming in for transfers.

Mr Allardyce had to battle to get the board to splash out on Salgado. And he was a free transfer.

How could you possibly know?

As far as we know, there's no more money coming in for transfers.

Mr Allardyce had to battle to get the board to splash out on Salgado. And he was a free transfer.

I don't know and I didn't claim I know. You're the one claiming that you know we have no money for transfers, I was just making an assumption.

It was stated at the time that there where add ons in the Bentley deal, probably league and England appearance related, we can forget the latter, he has made 40 appearances in all comps to date, there was speculation some time ago that he was not getting a game as he was on 19 in the league, well that has passed, he has made 27.

Maybe there is an amount available, one thing is for sure, we have to find enough to freshen up the MF and a striker.

Just to throw a name in the hat, I was impressed with O'Hara last week and not just for his goal, he has a great engine, good on the ball and played some wonderful balls in behind our defense, on loan at Pompey until the end of the season, would put him out of the reckoning for this window and Pompey probably have first shout anyway. Just a thought.

I am not at my own PC so don't have my notes to hand but here are my guesses where money might come from for wages and transfer fees IF there is any:

- a bit left from the Warnock sale at the end of last window aided by loaning out Zura to make the over-run on wages this season less painful than it would otherwise be. The sale of Gallagher was also late in the summer window and took a suprisingly big wage off the payroll.

- Warnock's fee was undisclosed but it is a fair bet that a chunk of it was triggered by appearances. In which case a pot of money that could not be banked in August might be looking bankable now. On the same basis, there might (emphasise might) be some cash coming from Spurs from the contingent part of the Bentley deal.

- having pushed the bank borrowings down in the summer, there might now be scope for borrowing a bit more. Di Santo might be a more bankable proposition than any signing we've made over the past 18 months.

I hope international appearences were included too. If Cole gets injured we'll be in the money.

Archived