BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would firing him make sense? Not only did we have no reason to fire him, but he wouldn't turn up at another club the next day if we did.

I didnt say we fired Hughes. I just thought i heard somebody say we paid them when they left. Go back and read my initial post.

Noooooooooooooooooooo ... I am saying we have no evidence to the contrary, ie your assumption is completely unsupported.

I know it's just that people have been posting links that we're targetting players and Sam says he wants to bring 2 players in and if the board agreed to give Sam money for Salgado's wages, then I wouldn't be surprised if the board do have money to spend, but are waiting to see how results develop by the end of the year and if Sam is able to sell some players/free up wages to make it look more viable. I would still think that Sam would have to sell to buy, but I was making the assumption that if we were say in the top 10 by the end of the year, and we sold players then Sam would be allowed to not only spend the money he earned, but given some extra as well.

You're completely correct though, my assumption is completely unsupported! That's why I posed it as a question to the board, so someone like philipl could clarify.

I didnt say we fired Hughes. I just thought i heard somebody say we paid them when they left. Go back and read my initial post.

Well, I didn't say you said we fired Hughes! I'm just saying whoever DID say that was talking nonsense.

I remember watching England U21’s awhile back against Poland U21’s. There was a guy playing for Poland called Radoslaw Majewski – he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. He’s a creative midfielder and I remember quite a few people on here were very impressed by him too. I only realised the other day that he’s on loan at Nottingham Forest after losing his way a bit. They are trying to take him permanently for 1.5m and wondered whether he’d be worth us having a look at. I’d imagine spending a few months in the Championship would have toughened him up a bit and he’d be ideal competition/cover for when Dunn is injured. Not sure how he’d be suited to a 4-4-2, but certainly one to take a look at for the price.

Just done a quick search and he has actually been linked with us before in April 2008.

http://poland.worldcupblog.org/1/blackburn-offers-3me-for-radoslaw-majewski.html

Sounds like Forest have agreed a full transfer already though, should they wish to take up the option. I watched that game too and he was very good, although he did seem to lack pace from what I remember.

Quite similar to Villanueva in his strengths and weaknesses actually, I don't think he's overly suited to the PL style but I could be wrong.

I am not at my own PC so don't have my notes to hand but here are my guesses where money might come from for wages and transfer fees IF there is any:

- a bit left from the Warnock sale at the end of last window aided by loaning out Zura to make the over-run on wages this season less painful than it would otherwise be. The sale of Gallagher was also late in the summer window and took a suprisingly big wage off the payroll.

- Warnock's fee was undisclosed but it is a fair bet that a chunk of it was triggered by appearances. In which case a pot of money that could not be banked in August might be looking bankable now. On the same basis, there might (emphasise might) be some cash coming from Spurs from the contingent part of the Bentley deal.

- having pushed the bank borrowings down in the summer, there might now be scope for borrowing a bit more. Di Santo might be a more bankable proposition than any signing we've made over the past 18 months.

Do you think the Walker trust could be giving more money - maybe they could see Sam as a manager worth backing compared to Ince. The team are 'starting' to gell together, one or two good signings and it will be a fairly good, young squad.

Do you think the Walker trust could be giving more money - maybe they could see Sam as a manager worth backing compared to Ince. The team are 'starting' to gell together, one or two good signings and it will be a fairly good, young squad.

The board didn't back Hughes when we came very close to pushing onto the next level. I'd be very suprised if it were any different under Allardyce - especially as we've moved backwards since then and other teams have spent significant amounts without much reward.

I see that Jerome Rothen has been struggling to get into the team at Rangers where is on loan from PSG. Think it was a good think that we stayed clear of this chap.

To call him useless would be a disservice to Keith Andrews.

If we shifted out Benni for Heskey id think i would loose what little faith i had in the clubs good judgement.

Agreed. I like Heskey but 1) he is going to be on massive money 2) He has only got one maybe two years in the tank. We need someone who can last longer than that.

Unless Villa loan him I don't want it to happen.

In January I think we should stick with what we have (Strikers) and keep Di Santo

Its the midfield that needs a shake up.....Reid is out on loan.....Gamst & Dunn have only 7 months on thier contracts (and Gamst has apparently rejected a new one)........and Fulham want Andrews....Key decisions need to be made.

I'm curious to know if there's been any development in the Ibricic rumours? Mr Nixon have you heard anything????

He did well the other day, very well.

Personally I wouldn't say no to Reo-Coker but O'Neill will be asking a fortune and surely he's on good money. I doubt we could afford the whole package. What do people think though about getting his team mate Shorey in?

One player I've been watching is Fleck at Rangers I do wonder if they could be persuaded for a reasonable fee? or even Benni. I'd love to see him at Rovers.

Archived