BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Two Tier League And Celtic And Rangers

Sorry if this topic has already got its own thread but what does everyone think of this whole two-tier league being brought up again as well as rangers and celtic being touted to join? Personally im sick of the whole thing rearing its ugly head up again. Especially rangers and celtic joining. Theyre not english and shouldnt be allowed to participate in the english league, they wouldnt bring much to the table anyway in my opinion apart from the obvious. They would struggle against the superior oppostion of the premier league compared to the spl as has been found out when they come up against decent opponents in europe.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this topic has already got its own thread but what does everyone think of this whole two-tier league being brought up again as well as rangers and celtic being touted to join? Personally im sick of the whole thing rearing its ugly head up again. Especially rangers and celtic joining. Theyre not english and shouldnt be allowed to participate in the english league, they wouldnt bring much to the table anyway in my opinion apart from the obvious. They would struggle against the superior oppostion of the premier league compared to the spl as has been found out when they come up against decent opponents in europe.

They would bring everything to the table and atmosphere wise would be a real bonus. Don't underestimate Celtic and Rangers against English opposition, Celtic in particular who have a very good record playing teams from England.

Rovers recently were reported to have a bigger turnover than Rangers, and presumably Celtic, purely due to TV money. Were the Old Firm allowed to join us, it would not take them long to catch up in a financial sense, with their share of TV revenue and soon be up there with the teams immediately behind the big four, ie. on a par with the likes of Villa, Spurs, Everton etc.

Their fans would undoubtedly cause problems though and cause chaos, especially at the bigger city clubs, although to be fair, certainly Celtic fans have a fine reputation in testimonial games. I think things would change if they were playing league games week in, week out.

They are not English, however, and I see no reason for their inclusion. Whilst I hold Celtic close to my heart, I also do not wish to see either club join the EPL because it is simply not fair for a wide number of reasons.

The Scotts hate the English why should we give them anything

That's the sort of sentence that, if you say it enough times, you'll start to believe it. I've been to Scotland on many an occasion and always found the folk very welcoming, either in places like Glasgow or farther afield in the Highlands and islands.

Undoubtedly there will be some issues against the English, mainly in the industrial heartland, but generally there isn't a problem.

That's the sort of sentence that, if you say it enough times, you'll start to believe it. I've been to Scotland on many an occasion and always found the folk very welcoming, either in places like Glasgow or farther afield in the Highlands and islands.

Undoubtedly there will be some issues against the English, mainly in the industrial heartland, but generally there isn't a problem.

I live in Elgin in Morayshire and I can ensure you that for the majority of Scots my statement is true

On the point that they're not English - Take it you don't like Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Newport County, Merthyr Tidfilm & Colwyn Bay playing in FA competitions whilst being affiliated to the Welsh FA?

The difference being that the clubs affiliated the other FA's now, started existence when there was no national league for them to join.

They retain membership of the English leagues for the time being.

Both are to be discouraged but Rangers rally around our Queen whilst Celtic hate her very image. It's clear cut.... if we let any in then it has to be the Gers and the Gers only! Let the fienien bstards wallow in the mire of their poverty and their hatred forever.

First off I don't think it should happen because it goes against the history of the game, maybe instead scrap the league cups and play a Home Nations cup which includes teams from all across the isles.

But to say they could not compete is simply untrue, the main reason they can't compete now is that the glasgow sides don't have the TV money that the Prem does. But if you add that money to the loads and loads of tickets they sell and the merch, they would go on a spending spree, and you wouldn't see many of the same players that they have in the SPL. Players would no longer jump at the chance to leave Celtic and Rangers to join Rovers and Burnley.

Both are to be discouraged but Rangers rally around our Queen whilst Celtic hate her very image. It's clear cut.... if we let any in then it has to be the Gers and the Gers only! Let the fienien bstards wallow in the mire of their poverty and their hatred forever.

First they are told they can't wave the flag because they are catholic, and then they are hated because they don't wave the flag...

I firmly believe if the 2 Glasgow clubs join the English league they should start at the bottom and work their way up.

Do we really want the Glasgow clubs bringing 40,000 to Stanley?

Sadly, I can see this happening somewhere down the line. If the Welsh teams can play in the English league, why can't the Scottish teams? However, I really do not want this to happen, simply because it would be to the detrement of Rovers. They have huge international followings and would easily find wealthy backers if they joined the EPL. They would inevitably end up being successful in time. That is two more big teams in our league system for us to compete with. No thanks!

• Backroom

Do we really want the Glasgow clubs bringing 40,000 to Stanley?

Nope I don't want them in England at all, but why should they get special privelidges if they do come down here?

If Bangor City joined the English league would they start in the Prem?

First they are told they can't wave the flag because they are catholic, and then they are hated because they don't wave the flag...

Who cares? They hate the us so if they had a decent bone in their bodies they'd stay away on principle. But like most things concerning religion and money grubbing triviality's like principles just don't figure.

There speaks the voice of the Rev Ian Thenodrog Paisley. :o

You sound more bigotted than all of them!

Must be the QEGS upbringing. :D

Sorry but I'm not really into turning the other cheek or offering the hand of friendship to an enemy. More like kick em when they are down or turning the knife. :tu:

What you need to consider is that if SKY decided to switch sponsorship from the English Prem to the Scottish Prem would Celtic and Rangers vote for English clubs to be admitted to share the spoils? Would they (Please don't use that word again). Always keep that in mind.

btw :blink: I didn't go to qegs CLB.

All of our leagues out here include both the north and the south, and we don't get along too well. It doesn't matter though because its against tradition of the game.

I do think some of the match ups would be interesting and exciting for fans, which is why I would scrap the League cups and put together a home nations leagues cup.

falkirk ...scary place. :rover:

Scottish teams have been talking about joining you down there for about 130 years but it won't be happening any time soon I hope. In fact they were a lot closer in the old days when the likes of Queens Park played in the FA cup.

It is a ridiculous idea and another example of the whole of the game nowadays being so obsessed by money that they will do anything to dump on the fans and try and get more money from overseas.

Celtic and Rangers are both very poor at the moment and neither are good enough to survive in the EPL but if they came down it would be a totally different situation and with their fanbase and a level playing field on TV money there is no reason why they couldn't be amongst the bigger teams in the league.

Many non old firm fans up here are keen to see the back of them.

Archived