BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Haye

Haye SHOULD win and Harrison SHOULD lose but you never know with the heavyweight division. We saw what Harrison did to Sprott just as Harrison's career was about to be over with that amazing KO finish. If Haye takes this too lightly then it could all be over with a single punch. If Haye takes this as serious as his fans want him to then Harrison could be down and out in the early rounds.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know - I love the sport but the first post on this thread is indicative of its problem - it's too bloody pretentious. Yes Audley will be outclassed, but its an interesting fight, especially in this country, so it's one that's worth making. Boxing fans always take themselves too seriously.

I know you're an MMA fan AR, so I wont need to point out the differences between the two.

I think I'm a little too young for boxing as it was never marketed or targeted at my demographic. No one ever taught me the intricacies and skill involved, and trying to watch it myself it just seems like 12 rounds of wait and see for a knockout punch that never comes. Some of the lighter weight fights I can watch but still don't take much pleasure from it. Overall it just seems so overwhelming for a new fan with all the titles, wight classes, organizations, promoters, etc. ALl that added up into me never getting into it, and I love all sorts of alternative sport.

I'm sure it didn't help coming from a family that didn't watch boxing and having no friends into it either. It'll be interesting to see how it maintains its popularity in the next 15 years.

Jean Pascal is fighting Bernard Hopkins...

Wow had no idea that had been made. Assumed he would be having a re-match with Dawson. Given how bad Hopkins and RJJ both looked when they fought each other, it's hard to see this being too competiive.

I think I'm a little too young for boxing as it was never marketed or targeted at my demographic. No one ever taught me the intricacies and skill involved, and trying to watch it myself it just seems like 12 rounds of wait and see for a knockout punch that never comes. Some of the lighter weight fights I can watch but still don't take much pleasure from it. Overall it just seems so overwhelming for a new fan with all the titles, wight classes, organizations, promoters, etc. ALl that added up into me never getting into it, and I love all sorts of alternative sport.

I'm sure it didn't help coming from a family that didn't watch boxing and having no friends into it either. It'll be interesting to see how it maintains its popularity in the next 15 years.

Agree with you 100%

Though there are only 4 'proper' belts- WBA, WBO, WBC, IBF there are belts with every other combination of letters you can think of.

Then there are far too many weight divisions- light middle, middle, super middle etc.

All the vested interests need to get together and try and streamline the sport, apart from the attraction of the odd super fight, it is rapidly losing status.

The fact Fraudley even has a shot at a major belt shows what a state the sport is in.

Exactly.

There are very few fights of interest out there,and the bit of quality that exists belongs to fighters that are well and truly into their 30`s,not just in Britain but in the states as well.

Fraudley should be nowhere near fighting for a belt,Although I suppose on the upside Haye can retire this Joker once and for all. :angry:

Its a sad indictment of the heavyweight division of recent years that Harrison isn't even the worst boxer to have fought for a World title - infact he probably wouldn't be the worst to win one. Remember Danny Williams fought Vitali, Harrison could hold his own against the likes of Ruiz, Rahman, Toney and Briggs.

Its a sad indictment of the heavyweight division of recent years that Harrison isn't even the worst boxer to have fought for a World title - infact he probably wouldn't be the worst to win one. Remember Danny Williams fought Vitali, Harrison could hold his own against the likes of Ruiz, Rahman, Toney and Briggs.

*shudders... :wacko:

I gained a lot of respect for Harrison when he fought Sprott. He fought with a damaged hand and that knockout punch was something special. It wasn't like the Audley I has seen before.

I'm looking forward to it.

Much in the same tone, I (like most) couldn’t give two ###### about Harrison, but he has done well to claw back his career and the fight with Sprott shown some good spirit.

On Haye, wow how dissappointing. The lad is only fighting for the money. Much the reason why he didn’t fight either Klitchko, Haye talks a good game, but he could have had either of them. If he wanted it THAT badly, money wouldn’t of been an issue. I honestly believe that Haye does fear the Klitchko's because the have the size and can box abit (unlike Valuev who is a giant but the boxing skill of a tramp).

On the fight, Haye will walk it if everything goes to plan, but Harrison does have a knockout left, and Haye's chin has been called into question throughout his career, one slip and it could be over. But if I were a betting man, Haye to KO Harrison in 4.

Just booked 9 tickets for this, can't wait.

Are you mad? It’s a complete farce!

I was warming to Haye until he decided to fight Fraudley, the guys just a joke and shouldn’t be in the same ring as Haye, but money talks I guess.

Bit disappointed with Haye, but for a few million I guess you’d fight anyone!

I think Haye is great to watch because he has so much power in his punches and he does have a lot of style in the ring but there is still a chance that Haye could land on his arse after a solid hit on the chin. This makes his fights exciting. Even against Harrison, a boxer who has been beaten by some poor fighters, there is still a chance that Harrison could shock everyone and KO Haye.

Although I like watching Haye, he does seem like a bit of a knob when it comes to disrespecting other opponents. Obviously a lot of it is due to trying to sell the fight and also to keep him in the media spotlight but in my opinion a great fighter will always get people's attention by wanting to fight against the best. Sadly in this case Haye has to try his best to sell the fight to the Americans because nobody will be interested in this fight apart from us Brits.

Guest bluerovers

Adam Booth was taking the p*ss when Audley suggested fighting Haye after he got that lucky punch agaisnt Sprott (talk about 'spirit' all you want from my memory Harrison was 9 seconds away from retirement as he hadn't won any of the later round either); but now it's a serious fight?

And them both going on Day Break (formely GMTV) was just embarrassing, they are supposed to be 'enemies' and yet they can share a sofa with Adrian Chiles and Frank Lampard's missus and have a laugh and a chat.

Audley getting a title shot is funny enough but the realism of the manufacturerd beef is even more laughable.

• 1 year later...

The incident with Haye is nonsense. Both of them need to shut up and disappear because neither of them has the skills to back up their big mouths. Haye at least has some boxing ability, but Chisora is a nobody and the only reason I can see for him having been in a world title fight is Vitali Klitschko getting old and wanting to hand-pick opponents that he knows won't cause him too many problems.

The heavyweight division isn't great right now, but Vitali is 40 and has a few old injuries so he takes on a chancer like Chisora so he doesn't have to step in the ring with someone who might actually be dangerous like Helenius or Povetkin. Even in his current state Vitali barely looked troubled last night.

Chisora has been a disgrace in this episode. Slapping Vitali was a cheap shot, but the kind that you expect from a boxer who knows he's only got one shot and he needs to draw attention to himself and get his opponent agitated. Spitting water in Wladimir's face was way over the line, though. He's lucky Wladimir showed some restraint, because he could have easily found himself on the canvas before the fight started acting like that.

It won't be long before David Price and Tyson Fury are stepping into the ring in Hamburg or Munich, talking big and prompting pundits to predict the end of the Klitschkos' reign. Then they'll lose (probably on points because they are both big enough to make it a contest) and we'll go back to the drawing board and talk about how embarrassing the pre- and post-fight was. Price might not, but Fury will definitely open his big mouth and say something stupid if he gets a shot.

Cannot see Vitali fighting Price or Fury, certainly not while either is still undefeated.

Chisora was paid a pittance for last night and had lost two of his last three fights. So why did he get a shot? Because the Klitschko's like an easy ride. Wladimir is still close to his peak so he may take on a Price or Fury, but neither fit the mould for fighting Vitali, both too big for him to keep out of range and box on the back foot.

Chisora was a disgrace, as was Haye to an extent, but neither are as big a disgrace as Heavyweight boxing in general. The reason fighters have to go to such lengths is because the Klitschkos hand pick their fights and hold all the aces. They've completely destroyed the division and made it non-competitive.

Managed to catch the last 3 rounds on a channel I didn't realise I had 'Box Nation'. Presumed it was a pay extra rip off channel.

Chisoras disgusting antics have taken British boxing to a near all time low. I thought the Harrison - Haye joke (I watched live on an gas rig off Morecambe bay), had previously reached a low point in the embarressment league.

Chisora is beyond reasonable words. He should not be allowed to fight again. British boxing nearly hit an all time low, (that was achieved when British boxing fans pelted Marvin Hagler with bottles and cans after he beat Alan Minter).

The incident with Haye is nonsense. Both of them need to shut up and disappear because neither of them has the skills to back up their big mouths. Haye at least has some boxing ability, but Chisora is a nobody and the only reason I can see for him having been in a world title fight is Vitali Klitschko getting old and wanting to hand-pick opponents that he knows won't cause him too many problems.

The heavyweight division isn't great right now, but Vitali is 40 and has a few old injuries so he takes on a chancer like Chisora so he doesn't have to step in the ring with someone who might actually be dangerous like Helenius or Povetkin. Even in his current state Vitali barely looked troubled last night.

Chisora has been a disgrace in this episode. Slapping Vitali was a cheap shot, but the kind that you expect from a boxer who knows he's only got one shot and he needs to draw attention to himself and get his opponent agitated. Spitting water in Wladimir's face was way over the line, though. He's lucky Wladimir showed some restraint, because he could have easily found himself on the canvas before the fight started acting like that.

It won't be long before David Price and Tyson Fury are stepping into the ring in Hamburg or Munich, talking big and prompting pundits to predict the end of the Klitschkos' reign. Then they'll lose (probably on points because they are both big enough to make it a contest) and we'll go back to the drawing board and talk about how embarrassing the pre- and post-fight was. Price might not, but Fury will definitely open his big mouth and say something stupid if he gets a shot.

Vitali might not have looked 'troubled', but he didn't look dominating either. He's a paper champ.

Yeah, like I said, that's why he won't fight anyone who could be a threat. Hence Chisora getting his shot to begin with. Vitali is too old and has too many old injuries to get into a real war now.

T4E, I'm not sure about Price, but I think Vitali could take Fury. I like him, but there are too many holes in his technique. His best chance would be to wrestle Vitali and tire him out, but the refs and judges in Germany always seem to help the Klitschkos when they are in a tight spot.

It isn't all the Klitschkos' fault that the heavyweight division is dying. There haven't been any world class Americans for years, so it doesn't make the Vegas billings, which allows them to fight in their own backyard instead. There isn't a lot of competition and a lot of the guys who can box aren't big enough because they have been smaller guys stepping up to heavyweight. An upper weight limit would help, then the monsters can slug it out in a boring super-heavyweight division where there's 3 rounds of action before they're panting and holding constantly.

Plus the governing bodies have encouraged officials to all but outlaw any hint of a clinch, so being 6'7" just becomes an even bigger advantage because any time someone gets on the inside you just put one arm around their back and the ref breaks it up, then you can jab your way to yet another victory.

Agree that Vitali would beat Fury - but he wouldn't take the fight in the first place in my opinion.

Any time there's been two hugely dominant champions in a weight class there's been clamour for them to fight, which leads to atleast one exciting match up, often more. As the Klitschkos are brothers this can't happen and they can sit back with all the belts and pick and choose their opponents. Part of it is bad luck, in that they obviously won't fight and nor should they, but the way they constantly take on completely outmatched opponents is scandalous. The next guy Wladimir is fighting was knocked out by the last guy Wladimir beat when they were both cruiserweights! Why would anyone want to see that?

Archived