BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rising Youth Unemployment

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The office jobs are equally as difficult as a tradesman job. Try doing a set of accounts and then tell me how difficult it really is.

Mind you, the younger ones are becoming more lazier by the day, and that could also have a knock on effect to the rising levels of unemployment.

Since when are Uni fees going up to £7K?

Personally speaking I'd much rather employ a person who is 40+ than a school / uni leaver. Todays education system and society is producing a work force not only academically poorer but with an awful attitude to work, careers and employment. Contributing massively to the export of manufacturing and labour from this country are Eu interference, our 'emplyer unfriendly' Employment laws and the rise to almost absolute power of the H&S Executive.

Disagree with you on that. I've always preferred a graduate, because with the 40 year old you get complaints about how it was done differently at their last job (basically, they aren't trying to find new ways, they are set in their old ways). With graduates, you can mold and train them to do the job the way you want them to. The ones we've hired are also good at finding innovative new ways to do things. We've done fantastic with the 10-15 people we've hired over the last 2-3 years. Maybe the Irish are smarter with better attitudes?

Disagree with you on that. I've always preferred a graduate, because with the 40 year old you get complaints about how it was done differently at their last job (basically, they aren't trying to find new ways, they are set in their old ways). With graduates, you can mold and train them to do the job the way you want them to. The ones we've hired are also good at finding innovative new ways to do things. We've done fantastic with the 10-15 people we've hired over the last 2-3 years. Maybe the Irish are smarter with better attitudes?

Quite possibly. It's prob down to national perspective. We in the UK like to think we are still one of the big players and need to show support diplomatically and finacially to the eu whilst the Irish know they have little international clout and wisely choose to keep their heads below the parapat, play the system and milk the eu cow for all it is worth. By what you suggest it's obviously a great motivator.

Of course the tax payer should pay a large percentage. The reason being is that education creates more money and future tax revenue. I'm not complaining because, as I said in my post, I was a student before the increase to 3k per year. The 7k I talked about is the figure I have seen banded about in the press. I don't know if it is true or not because it hasn't yet been decided.

Of course the tax payer should pay a large percentage. The reason being is that education creates more money and future tax revenue. I'm not complaining because, as I said in my post, I was a student before the increase to 3k per year. The 7k I talked about is the figure I have seen banded about in the press. I don't know if it is true or not because it hasn't yet been decided.

People who don't get degrees also go on to get jobs and pay their taxes, without a hand-up from the tax-payer.

If only the tax-payer had a bottoless purse, he'd be more than happy to pay up.

My fees were paid for me, I consider myself very lucky.

I graduate in 2011 and i am getting a little worried about the jobs situation. Im not some dosser at a crap uni doin film studies or pyschology, im studying for a degree in politics/economics at a top 10 uk university

I worked damn hard at college to get decent a-levels and i feel as though im wasting my time. the amount of people im going to be fighting against for a decent job will make it really tough when i do a graduate.

as i dont have rich parents who can get me loads of work experience/internships with their/friends companies im therefore scrabbling for the w/e intern places that are left once they've snaffled them all up purely because of their parenst rather than merit.

I do feel more sorry though for those at the lesser universities who were given almost no choice by the government. They'll graduate with degrees in media studies from polyteechnics that arent worth the paper they're written on.

I graduate in 2011 and i am getting a little worried about the jobs situation. Im not some dosser at a crap uni doin film studies or pyschology, im studying for a degree in politics/economics at a top 10 uk university

I worked damn hard at college to get decent a-levels and i feel as though im wasting my time. the amount of people im going to be fighting against for a decent job will make it really tough when i do a graduate.

as i dont have rich parents who can get me loads of work experience/internships with their/friends companies im therefore scrabbling for the w/e intern places that are left once they've snaffled them all up purely because of their parenst rather than merit.

I do feel more sorry though for those at the lesser universities who were given almost no choice by the government. They'll graduate with degrees in media studies from polyteechnics that arent worth the paper they're written on.

TBH- I think you are placing far too emphasis on your university ranking . I have a bachelors degree and an MA one from a top 20 uni and the other from a middle-ranking uni- both where academic, yet employers were not that interested in either ( this is going back 4 years before the economic depression).

What they where more interested in was me as an individual, how I presented myself, what my knowledge of there sector was, what skills I possessed. Etc. Now as an employer of staff myself ( on behalf of a local authority) we have tons of applicants who just graduated from your red-brick establishments- yet they have very little experience or transferable skills.

My advice would be to do so part-time office work- if possible. It never harmed me throughout my study and was looked upon favourably by prospective employers- as you are gaining understanding/skills & balancing workloads/priorities.

TBH- I think you are placing far too emphasis on your university ranking . I have a bachelors degree and an MA one from a top 20 uni and the other from a middle-ranking uni- both where academic, yet employers were not that interested in either ( this is going back 4 years before the economic depression).

What they where more interested in was me as an individual, how I presented myself, what my knowledge of there sector was, what skills I possessed. Etc. Now as an employer of staff myself ( on behalf of a local authority) we have tons of applicants who just graduated from your “red-brick” establishments- yet they have very little experience or transferable skills.

My advice would be to do so part-time office work- if possible. It never harmed me throughout my study and was looked upon favourably by prospective employers- as you are gaining understanding/skills & balancing workloads/priorities.

The problem is that many employers won't get to know you as an individual if your CV isn't up to snuff regarding "qualifications."

The problem is that many employers won't get to know you as an individual if your CV isn't up to snuff regarding "qualifications."

The problem is American, is that in the current UK economy- there are more graduates than jobs. Therefore, to get ahead of the rest you need a mixture of qualifications and experience/skills. As an employer I would not touch a graduate who at the age of 21/22 has never worked.

Talking from personal experience, employers; whilst not dismissive of He qualifications are far more interested in what skills and experience you posses.

The problem is American, is that in the current UK economy- there are more graduates than jobs. Therefore, to get ahead of the rest you need a mixture of qualifications and experience/skills. As an employer I would not touch a graduate who at the age of 21/22 has never worked.

Talking from personal experience, employers; whilst not dismissive of He qualifications are far more interested in what skills and experience you posses.

You need a combination of both. Employers also won't speak to candidates without a degree in a lot of cases.

I wrote to everyfirm in a 100 mile radius off my own back i had the commitment to get to where i wanted to be, i had the desire to achieve it and i knew what i wanted to do, I get looked down on now when im covered in ###### and drive a van and in hindsight thats my sucess because i pay my rent and bills and im happy.

I take my hat of to you young man, I only wish more people of your age showed such grit and determination. You get out life what you put in.

Agree with Al to a point - Iv worked with several 'iv got a degree' people who think just because they have a degree, its thier right to be in a better job and that they are important etc. Several of those iv worked with are in an office job, yet they have a degree in sports science or Child care or something else.

Experience is what counts...not a qualification.

If I was recruiting id much rather take on someone with 3-4 years experience, than someone with 0 experience but a degree.

Whats wrong with a degree in Sports Science?, its hardly as mickey mouse as you make out.

If anything I'd say its a mixture of both and with the right approach and attitude you can easily leave uni with the two.

A lot of graduates will being leaving uni with massive loans to pay off..Gone are the days when you could just doss about after being at uni..

Why though?

I've seen some simply diabolical attitudes displayed by students over the years I've been at Uni. A girl once having a go down the phone at uni to her dad because her allowance was a day late, WTF get a job you lazy sod.

I ran a business, volunteered in a job applicable to the career I wished to pursue and still gained first class degree's, paying my way in full with no hand outs. At the end of the day for me the biggest issue with most at Uni is attitude and it gets worse every year. Now I don't wish to tar all with that stigma but it certainly is the case that these days a lot of students just expect to get things and do not understand that you have to earn them and that means hard work, really hard work.

But thats just the society we've created IE the generation before.

Archived