• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Very, very sobering.

Yes. I'm sorry I haven't worked out how to embed the video clip....but the link still works.

For those not familiar with the "Accrington Pals"; they were, probably, the most famous volunteer battalion raised at the beginning of WW1. So called because recruitment was initiated by the Mayor of Accrington but the volunteers came from Blackburn, Burnley and Chorley too.

I have posted this because it is the 100 year anniversary of the Battle of the Somme. The "Pals" were wiped out within 30 minutes on the first day of the battle. Of 720 men, 584 were dead, missing or wounded. Most of the lads in this clip I suppose!

Most of the population of East Lancashire lost someone close!

Yes. I'm sorry I haven't worked out how to embed the video clip....but the link still works.

For those not familiar with the "Accrington Pals"; they were, probably, the most famous volunteer battalion raised at the beginning of WW1. So called because recruitment was initiated by the Mayor of Accrington but the volunteers came from Blackburn, Burnley and Chorley too.

I have posted this because it is the 100 year anniversary of the Battle of the Somme. The "Pals" were wiped out within 30 minutes on the first day of the battle. Of 720 men, 584 were dead, missing or wounded. Most of the lads in this clip I suppose!

Most of the population of East Lancashire lost someone close!

tony - see the thread further down 'Somme 100 - The Accrington Pals'

Archived