BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Deal For Samba

You're missing the point JAL. If and when a player signs a new improved contract it's generally with the player saying 'I'm delighted to be here', 'I never wanted to leave' etc. yet we get a response as if he's doing it under sufferance almost.

Let's not forget that Samba was a 10 minute sub up front for Hertha Berlin when Hughes signed him and there were hardly a number of clubs queueing up for his signature.

I suppose one thing we should thank him for is that he's given us the heads up that he'll be off soon, no need for a 'will he won't he' saga on here.

Understand your point LD, but extending your point, arent all footballer the same wether they be at Man U, Chelsea, Rovers or whoever.

When Samba signed for us, Bolton had also made a formal request to take him on.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Understand your point LD, but extending your point, arent all footballer the same wether they be at Man U, Chelsea, Rovers or whoever.

When Samba signed for us, Bolton had also made a formal request to take him on.

I probably agree with you JAL and I suppose I should be happy with the response as it cuts through the usual bullshit.

Mind you, there's an old fashioned part of me that still believes that the players I watch actually have some affinity for the club. Yeah, far fetched I know.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would bring this up, as his form has been rather erratic this season. I know he usually looks moody, but in recent times he has looked particularly frustrated - anyone else agree?

Probably another 'star' who's getting itchy feet.

His form has been poor and I'd gladly see him dropped. It'd put an end to Pedersen's long throw antics, at least.

Thought I would bring this up, as his form has been rather erratic this season. I know he usually looks moody, but in recent times he has looked particularly frustrated - anyone else agree?

He certainly does look out of sorts. We can only really speculate what the reasons behind this dip of form are. One thing i have noticed is he looks really frustrated, it also it looks like he is not doing the basics right and is trying to do too much. How many times have we seen him this season try to run into midfield with the ball and end up losing it, or getting out of position then having to run back and make a rash tackle? Has Chimbonda coming in unsettled the back-line? Are defenders having to move and cover for him when he sometimes forgets his defensive duties?

I guess we won't know why he is struggling, but its clear he is.

• Backroom

He's certainly not playing to his best. Getting sent off twice in such a short period - both arguably deserved as well - is quite worrying. If he continues to play like this interest in him will rapidly diminish.

He's playing like he always has really. He's technically not a fantastic defender; he's often out of position, will go in for stupid tackles and will drift away from his man. Having said that, his physical attributes mean that he can make up for a lot of his mistakes and is usually able to defend whatever comes his way when he is in the right place. He's a good defender for us, but I certainly can't see a top side coming in for him.

He's certainly not playing to his best. Getting sent off twice in such a short period - both arguably deserved as well - is quite worrying. If he continues to play like this interest in him will rapidly diminish.

I thought he was very unlucky at Stoke. Nothing in the first booking from either player, if that were regularly carded there wouldn't be a game completed. Second yellow was a tiny tug. He wouldn't have got a yellow if the ref hadn't given him the first one. Bennet is a total ***** by the way.

I thought he was very unlucky at Stoke. Nothing in the first booking from either player, if that were regularly carded there wouldn't be a game completed. Second yellow was a tiny tug. He wouldn't have got a yellow if the ref hadn't given him the first one. Bennet is a total ***** by the way.

I totally agree 47er. The first yellow was a farce and the second yellow was extremely petty. He was very unlucky to be sent off and if he was playing for a side like Man Utd or Arsenal the ref wouldn't have flinched at either card.

He's playing like he always has really. He's technically not a fantastic defender; he's often out of position, will go in for stupid tackles and will drift away from his man. Having said that, his physical attributes mean that he can make up for a lot of his mistakes and is usually able to defend whatever comes his way when he is in the right place. He's a good defender for us, but I certainly can't see a top side coming in for him.

Agreed. Good player but well overrated by some on here. Hughesy even mentioned him as being in the world class bracket FFS!

I totally agree 47er. The first yellow was a farce and the second yellow was extremely petty. He was very unlucky to be sent off and if he was playing for a side like Man Utd or Arsenal the ref wouldn't have flinched at either card.

Disagree. Yes the first was petty but he knew he was on a yellow and to pull someone back like that when walking a tightrope was always gonna risk a red. Steve Bennett was the ref wasn't he? Notoriously petty and Samba should've known that. He got his just desserts!

He's too hot and cold for me. He's had a few good games but he costs us too many goals. Remember first 5 mins v Man City first day of the season when he tried to do a Beckenbauer and got mugged by Ireland? Also, he's not as good in the air as people make out to be and just look at how many fouls he gives away when he comes up for corners. I like his charcater and he's a true Rover but definitely a liability at times!

Also, he's not as good in the air as people make out to be and just look at how many fouls he gives away when he comes up for corners. I like his charcater and he's a true Rover but definitely a liability at times!

For his height he has to be one of the worst at attacking headers in the league. He seems to think that because of his size he doesn't need to jump :rock:. A guy of his size and stature should easily be scoring 7 goals a season from set pieces.

I think he's the sort of player who's a little bit dodge mentally and who would excel in a better team.

Put him in one of the top four sides and he'd be terrific.

Put him in a top 4 side and he wouldn't be exposed as much as he'd be better protected, however it wouldn't take long before he got found out. Can you just imagine Samba in the champions league against top class forwards? No, I think not!

For his height he has to be one of the worst at attacking headers in the league. He seems to think that because of his size he doesn't need to jump :rock:. A guy of his size and stature should easily be scoring 7 goals a season from set pieces.

I don't think we signed him as a goal scorer... How many does Crouch get with his head bearing in mind he's a centre forward?

I don't think we signed him as a goal scorer... How many does Crouch get with his head bearing in mind he's a centre forward?

That's not the point though is it? Regarding Crouch he isn't bad in the air, but he's hardly got Samba's physique either.

For the amount of emphasis that we put on set pieces why does Samba not score more? We aim for his head every freaking time and it never works. He's scored 2 this season and if I remember correctly they were both with his feet.

As I say a man of his physical stature should be scoring and creating many more with his head particularly when about 90% of our attacks (set pieces) go through him.

Anyway, regarding his form he's certainly been a shadow of his former self of late.

Disagree. Yes the first was petty but he knew he was on a yellow and to pull someone back like that when walking a tightrope was always gonna risk a red. Steve Bennett was the ref wasn't he? Notoriously petty and Samba should've known that. He got his just desserts!

He's too hot and cold for me. He's had a few good games but he costs us too many goals. Remember first 5 mins v Man City first day of the season when he tried to do a Beckenbauer and got mugged by Ireland? Also, he's not as good in the air as people make out to be and just look at how many fouls he gives away when he comes up for corners. I like his charcater and he's a true Rover but definitely a liability at times!

He is a liability at times and he does blow hot and cold but in my opinion that's down to him being exposed so much. If he was capable of keeping control of the back line (Robbo's job) and playing to the best of his ability week in week out without the costly errors he makes from time to time he would not be on our books.

His display and frustration on Saturday was not helped by the lack lustre performance of Chimbonda. Chimbo had what could have been his worse game for us, that left us open and defensively frail.

I've seen many a poor decision by Samba, many a poor decision by a referee against Samba but more importantly I see what he has brought to our club since he signed for us and the excellent defensive, and attacking displays. He never shirks a tackle, maybe goes for some he shouldn't and he seems to get extremely frustrated when things are not going our way, that's what I want out of our squad members. To me that spells commitment. He may not have been quoted as saying he loves our club when he signed his contract extension, and he's not committed to us for the rest of his career, but I'd rather it was that way, he's got his contract signed and kept his head down, instead of doing a Bellamy or Santa Cruz.

Many teams in the Prem would pay big big money for a player of Samba's stature and ability, the difference is that if he got the quality of coaching as the likes of Man Utd, Cheslea or Arsenal he would be a far better player and would get a lot more credit for being at a fashionable club.

That's not the point though is it? Regarding Crouch he isn't bad in the air, but he's hardly got Samba's physique either.

For the amount of emphasis that we put on set pieces why does Samba not score more? We aim for his head every freaking time and it never works. He's scored 2 this season and if I remember correctly they were both with his feet.

As I say a man of his physical stature should be scoring and creating many more with his head particularly when about 90% of our attacks (set pieces) go through him.

Anyway, regarding his form he's certainly been a shadow of his former self of late.

Let's get the deliveries from set pieces right then worry about our central defender finishing them off.

Pedersen's lofting long throws are dreadful, most of his free kicks and corners are the same.

If you don't give the big lads the service they'll have nothing to get on the end of.

Well we might just have to get used to it (again) because Mr Di Santo aint doing the job is he?

:lol:

:rover: the 1st booking at stoke the ref warned both samba and the stoke defender that the next time they tugged/clashed in the box they would be booked,they did and they were booked.samba was lucky not to get sent off as he elbowed shawcross in the jaw at one of these corners,the guys a liability,wants away.toddle pip :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

It's not for a player to work out how the ref is going to perform, that's ridiculous. It's for the referees to be consistent from one game to another.

As has been said, the first booking was ridiculous. The second yellow was for the slightest of tugs - in their half, for goodness sake. No way would any player from the top clubs have been sent off for those two offences.

:rover: the 1st booking at stoke the ref warned both samba and the stoke defender that the next time they tugged/clashed in the box they would be booked,they did and they were booked.samba was lucky not to get sent off as he elbowed shawcross in the jaw at one of these corners,the guys a liability,wants away.toddle pip :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

You were obviously watching a different game, you really are bitter wagster.

You say he wants away? That explains him signing the new deal.

You were obviously watching a different game, you really are bitter wagster.

You say he wants away? That explains him signing the new deal.

:rover: did you watch it on tv?anyone who watched it would have seen him elbow shawcross,contracts mean sfa :angry2::brfcsmilie:

It's not for a player to work out how the ref is going to perform, that's ridiculous. It's for the referees to be consistent from one game to another.

As has been said, the first booking was ridiculous. The second yellow was for the slightest of tugs - in their half, for goodness sake. No way would any player from the top clubs have been sent off for those two offences.

Slightest of tuges yes, but blatant none the less = yellow card.

Red cards aside, Samba's form in the last couple of months has shown he has a long way to go before he's the complete defender that some seem to think he is already. Its a position that above all others requires ultimate consistency. Until you have that, you are not a top level centreback.

Archived