BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Deal For Samba

Red cards aside, Samba's form in the last couple of months has shown he has a long way to go before he's the complete defender that some seem to think he is already. Its a position that above all others requires ultimate consistency. Until you have that, you are not a top level centreback.

Yes, he has gone massively off the boil recently. Depressing when this happens. Same thing happend to nelsen - from world class to very average in a couple of months at the end of 2007 - although this was probably linked to injury. Annoying.

Samba does look a bit peeved geenrally to be honest. None of the side really look like they are enjoying themselves which is a worry. You could see under Hughes that there was real team spirit which was so vital to our success.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, he has gone massively off the boil recently. Depressing when this happens. Same thing happend to nelsen - from world class to very average in a couple of months at the end of 2007 - although this was probably linked to injury. Annoying.

Samba does look a bit peeved geenrally to be honest. None of the side really look like they are enjoying themselves which is a worry. You could see under Hughes that there was real team spirit which was so vital to our success.

Not hitting your targets = failure = not enjoying you job.

I never saw the team enjoying themselves on the pitch when things weren't going to plan under any manager.

Not hitting your targets = failure = not enjoying you job.

I never saw the team enjoying themselves on the pitch when things weren't going to plan under any manager.

Not sure I agree with that. We have been doing average or poorly in the past but the team has looked together and up for the fight. End of last year would be a case in point. At the moment we look a bit all over he place. Probably down to so many players at the end of their contracts, increased player turnover, an unsettled side, Sam's position not really seeming totally secure and the players knowing the fans are having issues with the performances.

Not an ideal working environment.

• 1 month later...

I agree he's been immense recently, but he was literally inches from making one of those rash errors of judgement similar to those that cost us earlier in the season.

He's 26 and and needs to cut these out of his game over the next few years if he is to become a genuine top centre back.

Samba has raised his level with Jones. Maybe he thought he has to play better alongside young lad when Nelsen and Givet was out. We all have seen how magnificent Jones is and their partnership is very solid. It doesn´t mean we don´t Nelsen, it means we have healthy competition going on and don´t need summer buys there.

• Backroom

I agree he's been immense recently, but he was literally inches from making one of those rash errors of judgement similar to those that cost us earlier in the season.

He's 26 and and needs to cut these out of his game over the next few years if he is to become a genuine top centre back.

I agree with this. Against Chelsea he could have been sent off for a last man challenge, and against the dingles his challenge that got him booked was dangerously close to the inside of the penalty area. Still, he's an immense player and we're lucky to have him, no question about that. Even top centre-backs make mistakes, the trick is not to make game-changing mistakes.

Even top centre-backs make mistakes.

Exactly - like Vidic seems to against Torres every season!

As for the Captain bit - I think he has shown himself to be the leader on the pitch...also he went mental when the final whistle blew yesterday!

Following on from Hughesy's comment, I think Samba has improved massively over the last few weeks after being given the captains armband. He used to be a different player without Nelsen, but seems that the mentoring of Phil Jones and the responsibility has his mind settled on the game.

• 3 weeks later...

For now definitely, Nelsen's not on form this year.

Next season however I do want Samba and Givet together with a new left back coming in to replace Warnock. That way we can bed Jones in.

Agree 100%. No way would I get rid of Nelsen however, he's still a great centre-half and contributes a lot to the squad. Jones, being so young, is also likely to go through a spell of bad form, so we need good cover across the back.

Guest Kamy100

I have a horrible feeling that this Summer there are going to be a lot of clubs wanting to sign Samba. He will command a large transfer fee but it he is nigh on impossible to replace.

I have a horrible feeling that this Summer there are going to be a lot of clubs wanting to sign Samba. He will command a large transfer fee but it he is nigh on impossible to replace.

I'm not so convinced on this one.

We've seen very little in the way of press reports linking him to other teams. Now whilst he's been an absolute rock for us at times he does lack in some area's that you would have hoped he would be great at. His heading is not the best and he does fail to make his height and strength pay especially at set-pieces. Technically he's far from great and does make some rash choices on the pitch. I'm just not convinced one of the bigger teams would take him off our hands, especially not for the money we would want. Don't get me wrong I love the guy and think for us he's one of our best players but does he have enough about him to step up to say a top 4 club?

I can't see Sam letting him go for much less than 10 million as he's bound to want to get a replacement and one other quality player in should he go, and at that price I can see teams being put off. I think Samba will be around for some time yet and I'd love it if he is.

I would also love another 2-3 years of Samba time, My cousin met him at the everton game in the car park had his photo with them in his suit and also few signatures etc - top guy and boy is he big haha.

If he did go who could replace Samba?????? wow that wouldn't be an easy task filling in his boots haha. I know jones has been unreal but we would deffo need to replace him with class -

I think that last part's a slight exaggeration. Losing Samba won't have the same impact that losing someone like David Bentley had. And hopefully Jones' continued development will soften the blow.

I think that last part's a slight exaggeration. Losing Samba won't have the same impact that losing someone like David Bentley had.

Why? He is by far our best defender & still young - last week we conceded 3 goals at home for the 1st time under Sam - guess who wasnt playing!! He would be a massive loss.

Samba in defence with say Shay Given behind him & alongside a defender who is good against the Torres Type would be almost impossible to get past - people SERIOUSLY under-estimate his worth to our team & I dont know why it is........

OUT INJURED tomorrow too!

Why? He is by far our best defender & still young - last week we conceded 3 goals at home for the 1st time under Sam - guess who wasnt playing!! He would be a massive loss.

Why? Because players like David Bentley are harder to find (and keep) than players like Samba.

Let's also not forget it wasn't long ago Samba had a huge dip in form and in one instance cost us the Villa semi-final. Since being handed the captaincy, he's managed to rebuild his form.

Samba in defence with say Shay Given behind him & alongside a defender who is good against the Torres Type would be almost impossible to get past - people SERIOUSLY under-estimate his worth to our team & I dont know why it is........

That doesn't apply to me. I acknowledge Samba is a massive player for us and one that will take some replacing, but to say it will be practically impossible is wide of the mark.

Since being handed the captaincy, he's managed to rebuild his form.

but to say it will be practically impossible is wide of the mark.

I didnt say it would be impossible..

As for the 1st bit....more like "Since he hasnt need to babysit Nelsen & make up for his errors"

I didnt say it would be impossible..

You called me out when I questioned it.

As for the 1st bit....more like "Since he hasnt need to babysit Nelsen & make up for his errors"

You mean chopping down Agbonlahor and leaving us with ten men, and getting himself needlessly sent off again against Stoke was Nelsen's fault? Please, you can't blame him for everything.

Archived