BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The 40 Greatest Ever Rovers Players

Roost

Surprised Dunn hasn't been mentioned. Probably doesn't qualify for the top

40 but worth a look in. Was instrumental in getting us promoted, has spent most of his career with us, is a local boy and finally is fulfilling his promise. If he's still playing like this in a years' time he ought to qualify.

Has an England cap, so he's got to be worth a look.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'ang on.

You make a judgement that Tugay was better than Clayton, but you know nothing about Clayton? How can that be? Tugay would have got into any team in our history - don't think so Rog. and Clayton right wing and Douglas left wing? No way Jose.

I know enough about Clayton, I'm not jumping into it without any knowledge, England captain and member of the 62 World Cup squad etc etc.

Please name a team that Tugay wouldnt have got in to?

I know enough about Clayton, I'm not jumping into it without any knowledge, England captain and member of the 62 World Cup squad etc etc.

Please name a team that Tugay wouldnt have got in to?

Rog - Tugay wasn't as good as Clayton. Anyone who saw them both would tell you that.

Sorry Rog, Ronnie was the best central midfielder the club has had in my time. Tugay was a joy to watch and probably the best passer of the ball to wear the blue and white , certainly in my time. But he lacked that ability to get up and down the pitch that Clayton had. You didn't get to captain England in those days without being a top, top player.

My best 11 versus the next best.

Friedel

Newton

England

Hendrey

Le Saux

Ferguson (Mike)

Clayton

Douglas

Duff

Shearer

Pickering

Versus

Flowers

Berg

Woods

Moran

Warnock

Ripley

Batty

Bohinen

Harrison

Sutton

McEvoy

Subs for both sides, in no particular order - Jim Arnold, Roger Jones,Santa Cruz,Kevin Gallagher,David Speedie, David Bentley,Roy Vernon,Stephane Henchoz,Scott Sellars,Paul Warhurst,David Dunn,Mike Newall,Mick McGrath,Barry Hole,Chris Samba,John Byrom, David Wagstaffe,Noel Brotherston,Stuart Metcalfe, Alan Hunter.

There's 42, sorry about any I've overlooked.

Sorry, I managed to leave Tugay out of the subs, make that 43.

You would take Bohinen over Tugay? And not include Bellamy in the 43?

Rog - Tugay wasn't as good as Clayton. Anyone who saw them both would tell you that.

I spoke to my grandad and his verdict was on the fence as they were two completely different players.

The rare footage I have seen of Clayton leads me to agree with his inclusion in the greatest ever team, well the clanger in the 60 cup final aside!!

I guess I'm one of the current generation who loves Tugay to bits and feel he deserves to be recognised as one of the best players the club has ever had.

The rare footage I have seen of Clayton leads me to agree with his inclusion in the greatest ever team, well the clanger in the 60 cup final aside!!

I guess I'm one of the current generation who loves Tugay to bits and feel he deserves to be recognised as one of the best players the club has ever had.

What clanger Rog?

Don't get me wrong Tugay was superb to watch. He was worth the entrance money alone, but he isn't/wasn't better than R.C.

What clanger Rog?

Don't get me wrong Tugay was superb to watch. He was worth the entrance money alone, but he isn't/wasn't better than R.C.

Pretty sure Ronnie didnt clear the ball for one of the goals.

I used to do the ground tours at Ewood and it was on the video thats shown before hand.

Pretty sure Ronnie didnt clear the ball for one of the goals.

I used to do the ground tours at Ewood and it was on the video thats shown before hand.

Ah, was this "VIDEO" the incident you mention? Was it Ronnie Clayton that gave away the third goal?

You used to take the ground tours? Along with RC?

You would take Bohinen over Tugay? And not include Bellamy in the 43?

Yeh I'd take Bohinen over Tugay in that team. From a tactical point of view I need a midfielder to get forward more often, if you had Tugay and Batty playing in the same team neither of them would cross the halfway line. That's not saying Bohinen was a better player , he just fits that role better.

Can't understand how I missed Bellamy out he was one of the top five forwards I've seen in a Rovers shirt.

1. Hendry

2 Alan Shearer

3 Henning Berg

4 Simon Garner

5 Jim Arnold

6 David Dunn

7 Scott Sellars

8 David Wagstaffe

9 Brad Friedal

10 Chris Sutton

11 Chris Samba

12 Graeme Le Saux

13 David Batty

14 Kevin Moran

15 Noel Brotherston

16 Glen Keeley

17 Ossie Ardiles

18 Tugay

19 Kevin Arnott

20 Steve Archibald

21 Mark Hughes

22 Damian Duff

23 David Bentley

24 John Lowey when he converted to midfield

25 Craig Bellamy

26 Roque Santa Cruz

27 Benni McCarthy

28 Brett Emerton

29 Kevin Stonehouse in midfield

30 Tim Sherwood

31 David May

32 David Mail

33 Derek Fazackerly

34 Mickey Speight

35 Gary Flitcroft (when he was playing out)

36 Terry Gennoe

37 Andy Cole

38 Lars Bohinen

39 Simon Barker

40 tony Parkes

41 Stuart Metcalfe

42 Tony Gale

43 anyone who has scored verses Burnley.

There have been mentioned some "average" (to say the least) players so far in this thread.

So I'm going to throw into the hat some average and some real good-uns :- John Filan, Roy Wegerley, Eamonn Rogers, Peter Dobing, Simon Barker and Fred Else.

Best XI

Arnold

Berg Moran Hendry Le Saux

Dunn Batty Tugay Sellers

SAS

David Yelldell

Patrick Valery - Darren Peacock - Marlon Broomes - Sebastian Pelzer

Jimmy Corbett - Keith Andrews - Oumar Konde - Javier De Pedro

Corrado Grabbi - Kaba Diawara

Check mate!

Ah, was this "VIDEO" the incident you mention? Was it Ronnie Clayton that gave away the third goal?

You used to take the ground tours? Along with RC?

Yeah thats the one, the third goal about 3:00 in the video

I never did took a tour with Ronnie but did go on one of his before I got the job.

Great seeing the FA Cup footage. Wolves looked like a good side!

Although the injury to Dave Whelan surely cost us the match.

David Yelldell

Patrick Valery - Darren Peacock - Marlon Broomes - Sebastian Pelzer

Jimmy Corbett - Keith Andrews - Oumar Konde - Javier De Pedro

Corrado Grabbi - Kaba Diawara

Check mate!

How could you leave out Ashley Ward ? Christian Dailly was worth a place in that team in my opinion. Quite a few Woy Boy signings in that team.

Top class landlord though!

What pub has got ?

How could you leave out Ashley Ward ? Christian Dailly was worth a place in that team in my opinion. Quite a few Woy Boy signings in that team.

At least Ward managed more than two goals for us. :lol:

Dailly was tragically overpriced, but I'd say Peacock & Broomes were far more inept at the back.

Archived