BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fans Behaviour

RIML

If someone is singing an offensive song, and another supporter in the same stand asks them to stop, and the said persons reaction is to ''sing it more just to p*ss them off'' then they are a complete tosser.

Well yeah they are tossers but aren't all men ;) I just don't think saying something to them will make them stop.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was one of the people who got on the train and mistakenly thought the fans on the other platform where bolton fans and like many others on the train started chanting w@anky wonderers. what i am defending is the point that was made by someone saying all chants should be kept inside the ground where i belive its a bit of banter between fans

Thats all you sang? Nothing else offensive etc? I'm not accusing you just trying to understand what the drama is all about.

It's really quite simple. Say (quietly but just loud enough): "Wow, how pathetic do you have to be? *laughter and pointing*" Works everytime I've come across it. And this to people who are older and considerably tougher than me. They LIKE provocation, but hate humiliation. Better yet, get some old people around you to say it, cos it's even more humiliating. Or simply report them to stewards! (The k**bheads, not the old people).

Thats all you sang? Nothing else offensive etc? I'm not accusing you just trying to understand what the drama is all about.

thats all i sang, but as roverite pointed out he was actually speaking about someone else.

why is this damn topic going in circles?

Lets face it, saying something could help the matter, where as saying nothing at all won't help one little bit :blink:

If you say nothing you are by default condoning what is going on. There is a world of difference between the kind of songs that just contain bad language, which I don't like but hear all around me most days, and racist chants which are illegal and in the worst possible taste. I work as you know with Muslims every day and there are good and bad (and more good than bad) just as there are good and bad Christians, atheists, Sikhs, Hindus and any other race colour or creed you care to mention, and there are always more good than bad. The only time I've ever actually heard anything racist at a Rovers game was away at Villa a few years ago but then I do sit in the family stand, travel by car to the ground and don't do pubs on matchdays, so i guess I live a sheltered existence. On that occasion my daughter, who was standing next to the individual concerned and told him to stop or she would have to inform a nearby steward and if necessary a poice officer. He stopped, whether because of the implied threat or because my daughter is 5 foot nothing tall and yet still manages to boss everyone around!

I have no problem with people singing and swearing at football matches, it’s the nature of the beast, and shouldn’t come as any surprise to anyone.

What I do have a problem with is the racist chanting that was rife on the way home from Bolton last season, and is the reason why we never went this season. We stood in a carriage with a 9yr old and an 8yr old in tow and had to listen to:

“We are the Rovers, we hate Pakis” from Horwich to Preston.

How do you explain to the kids that 30 or so lads, not that much older to be honest, are singing such a song for no reason whatsoever, most of them have probably never even met an Asian!

As most on here will know, I’m no choir boy and I don’t pretend to be, but that was disgusting, and before anyone asks, yes I did say something until I realised its just not worth it and I’d have ended getting locked up or given a kicking. I spent the rest of the journey trying to explain to my son that its not acceptable to sing such songs and hopefully he’ll not follow suit when he’s going to the football with his mates in the future.

Unfortunately I’m of the opinion that its very much a Blackburn thing is this, signing racists songs and using racists remarks when really you’re not racists at all, it’s the way some people are in the area. We have plenty of racists also, but I can guarantee that over half those lads on the train are not really racists, don’t hate Asian people, but join in and sing the songs and use the rhetoric.

I’m often surprised by just how many people use the word P***s when not in guarded situations. Everyone can’t be racist can they? But people do use the words and I’m firmly of the opinion its very much a Blackburn thing. I’ve spent plenty of time in the past 10yrs in Sheffield and can honestly say I’ve never heard anyone use racist language, ever! So that’s sort of what I base my opinion on, not very scientific but it’s a conclusion I’ve come to.

Rant over, can’t believe I’ve just wrote that, but its how I see things.

It is my understanding that some (and I do nt condone racism, I think it's vile) use the word 'P***' as a way of making the point that Asian people often refer to white folk as 'Brits' and get away with it. I can KIND of see their point, if I'm frank. If white people are racist for calling Pakistani people 'P***s', then surely the same can be said of the Asian people calling us 'Brits'? It's the same principle, really, isn't it?

It is my understanding that some (and I do nt condone racism, I think it's vile) use the word 'P***' as a way of making the point that Asian people often refer to white folk as 'Brits' and get away with it. I can KIND of see their point, if I'm frank. If white people are racist for calling Pakistani people 'P***s', then surely the same can be said of the Asian people calling us 'Brits'? It's the same principle, really, isn't it?

No... no it's not <_<

The term P**i is used dergatory; no one uses in the sense of shortening the word Pakistani. If anyone believes they, then that person is being incredibly naive.

The term P**i is used dergatory; no one uses in the sense of shortening the word Pakistani. If anyone believes they, then that person is being incredibly naive.

And the term Brit, said in a tone similar to that as 'P***' evidently is, isn't the same? (My point is that it HAPPENS and people shouldn't readily disregard that it can also be as hurtful as the term 'P***' if said in a certain way. I promise you I'm not defending racists because they are vile, disgusting creatures, but racism is a 2-way street and it's naive to think otherwise, surely? I will accept it doesnt happen QUITE so much from Asian people to white people, but it DOES.

Cheers mellison. I had an idea that you weren't a full shilling. You have just confirmed it. Your fellow students would be embarrassed to be associated with your strange notion of racism.

Do you really think an Asian person being called an fffing p**** is the same as you or I being called an fffing Brit? Brit is more or less a jovial term.I have never been called a Brit by an asian let alone in a derogatory sense. All the Asians I know refer to themselves as British.

Never been called a brit and to be honest I'm proud to be one. But I know that the Asian population in this area refer to white people as Gora's which I find offensive despite it being used commonly by them, most white people don't know what it means so it is isn't noticed.

Taken from wikipedia - Gora (racial epithet)

Gora (racial epithet)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Gora (or gaura), is a South Asian adjective for a yellow-skinned or light-brown person, whether Indian, Pakistani or from other regions. The word literally means "white" or "fair-skinned" in Indo-Aryan languages like Hindustani (Hindi-Urdu), Bengali and Punjabi.

Although the word distinctly means "yellowish", it is sometimes used informally to include any light-skinned person, whether light-brown, yellow or even white. In place names that date back to the colonial era - there are a number of graveyards in Pakistan such as the Gora Qabristan (the lighter-skinned graveyard) in Peshawar, [1] the Gora Kabrastan in Karachi,[2] as well as one in Chillianwala the site of a famous battle involving the British East India Company.[3]

According to the Natyasastra, an Indian text, the term refers to "yellowish-reddish".[4] Because of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's explicitly yellow skin, he was termed "Gauranga".[5]

[edit] Usage in Britain and among anglophones on the Subcontinent

The term gora is often used by British Asians and among English-speaking South Asians in the Subcontinent as an noun instead of an adjective to exclusively refer to white people, the feminine form being gori.[6] The plural term gore is also used to refer to white people of both genders. In this form it has taken on racial connotations so has acquired the status of a slur, though it is not inherently pejorative.

So yes they do have a racist name for white people but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

These songs on Sunday were over the top and It just highlights the way ethnic division is increasing within the Blackburn area.

The song is supposed to be

David Dunn is blue & white, blue & white, blue & white,

David Dunn is blue & white

He hates bast*rds....

These tools obviously made their own version up.

It's just that I've been called this many times in my life travelling through the Audley Range area with my Dad to his work. Just pointing out that it DOES happen and it quitely clearly (when used as such) is racist. Jovial, it bloody well isn't. Especially when spit follows and the like. I'll drop it though. Gora (as per 4ever&ever) is a new one to me though. What does it mean? Just so I know when to report it (i know i only need the word, but can you clarify it's definition?).

Bucky - As I say, I have been called a Brit in a derogatory manner, and when done so, it IS racism! I don't see how that makes me 'not a full shilling'. No need to start offending me. I am against racism entirely (indeed any form of ignorance) and I just feel there are other sides to racism than just 'P***' that ought to be discussed on here.

Clear-up time. I'm referring to times when 'Brit' is said in a derogatory manner. Not when it's used as any other word would be. Whereas 'P***' as has been pointed out, is ONLY derogatroy.

Mellison = Brit

I can't determine the tone in which you say this, so I don't mind. If it is said in a derogatory manner with some spit following the word out the mouth, THEN it is racism. This is what I mean. I am not saying the simple word 'Brit' is racist!

Archived