BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brett Emerton

Time he was moved to right-back? It's the best position for his athleticism. His midfield play has been sloppy and he loses the ball like a hot potato.

Yeah, his distribution isn't up to it for a midfielder. He gives the ball away far too easily. But he can run forever. I thought he's played his best football for us at RB.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing Emerton makes no difference. He doesn't contribute anything to the team.

With such a small squad as ours and considering his versatility it would potentially make a hell of a difference and your glib dismissiveness is disappointing and poorly thought out.

I like Emerton and think that he is a very good squad player for us who can play in a wide variety of positions. Playing on the wing is probably where he is at his weakest. I like to see him in the centre of midfield, as he as a great engine and can get around the field. The only problem with playing there is that his distribution can be very poor. He has looked good at right back too when he's been called upon to play there. His versatility is a great asset to us and he always gives 100%. With the injury problems we have at the moment, we could really do without him going to the Asia Cup.

IIRC didn't Emerton play wing-back at Feyenoord? He's never been great in midfield but his athleticism owes well to the right-back position.

Yeah he built his reputation (remember it seemed like a total coup when we signed him?) as a wing back and then...hasn't ever been in a Rovers team that plays with wing backs. May explain why he never quite lived up to the hype - he was never the out and out winger we tried to use him as in the early days and at Feyenoord was playing in the position that could best expolit his natural athleticism.

I also think the best spell he's had at Rovers has been as a full back.

In relation to right back, I can see why he does not play there regularly for us though - when playing there, defensively, he got caught out in that position and also in the air (which led to goals conceded).

Good stop gap option though.

This may sound like an outrageous statement but i'd like to see him trialed at striker if we have few options. He's a good finisher, can beat his man and has blistering pace. Just an idea, not sure if he has the instinct for it though

• Moderation Lead

I think our whole central midfield was rubbish for the game. However, Emo is an excellent squad player for us at the very least. I personally believe his best position is right back or a defensive midfielder. He can still do a job for us. Never gave less than 100% ever.

Indeed, but against Stoke and West Ham he was god awful, though admittedly very few players emerged from those games with any sort of credit. At any rate, he looked quite good at RB when switched there, he's not got the skills to pay the preverbial bills in centre mid.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived