BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2010

Iceman

I'd be surprised if they England did take Ledley King. He's a great defender, but the problems that he has with his knees makes it very difficult for him to play games a week apart, let alone three or four days apart. I imagine England's prefered partnership to be Terry and Ferdinand anyway and King would just be there for cover. But the situation may a rise when he has to play a couple of games in quick succession and if he's not up to it, then you have to bring in another centre back and then England would be left with no cover.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang on didn't he just do that for spurs this week?? He maybe Mcgrath markII but the games are about 6 days apart so he should be able to cope, I'd have him on the plane for sure. But then again I wouldn't take a 3rd keeper, so I could just as well be wrong. we'll have to wait and see the 30.

You got tickets Clare? :unsure:

Aye, had 5 lots of tickets. Given 1 set up already for a refund as I don't fancy my chances of getting to Bloemfontain. So long as I can get to Rustenburg for my 3rd game I will be happy - fingers crossed

If Hargreaves was fully fit he'd be one of my first names on the team sheet, not sure if it's a little late to prove his fitness though, maybe if he can play in the warm up games.

Dunny's had a terrific season but I don't think he's a like for like replacement for Barry, he couldn't really play the holding role for England, would still love to see him go somehow but I think it's highly unlikely.

Owen Hargreaves to get World Cup chance and not Dunn?!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/783206/ce/uk?cc=4716&ver=global

What logic is that?

If he was fully match fit I'd have hargreaves over Barry anyway but I doubt he is near full match sharpness. Perhaps Capello is applying the same logic to Dunn that someof us are to King. Early season Dunn I'd say maybe but post new contaract Dunny no way.

Early season Dunn I'd say maybe but post new contaract Dunny no way.

Was about to say something similar. Plus, there is the fact that they play much different roles.

"The Capello Index" sounds like a total sell-out by the England manager, who said "It's not just about the money." - No, but most of it is!

Also.... Hargreaves? Seriously? That completely contradicts his ethos about choosing players on form. He's played one minute in 19 months! Carrick, Parker, Huddlestone, should all be picked weeeeeeeell ahead of him.

Is there not a world cup thread anywhere? If so its about time on was made.

Lates news regarding the England squad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8673706.stm

Personally I wouldnt take him as I think there are at least 4 better English centre backs than him, unless fabio is planning to take 5 or more CB's.

My squad of 23/24 or however many it should be would be something like:

Robinson (no1)

Heart

James

G Johnson

M Richards

King

Dawson

Ferdinand

Terry

A Cole

S Warnock

Milner

Lennon

Gerrard

Lampard

Barry

Carrick

A Young

A Johnson

Rooney

Crouch

Defoe

Agbonlahor/Bent

EDIT: Doh! Just seen the one below! Dont know whether the mods want to move this or have a dedicated World cup squads/Games thread

The 'Capello index' what a PR disaster this is a complete embarrassment from the FA and Capello himself. :wstu:

Looks like with this kind of logic England have absolutely no chance of doing anything in the world cup.

Carragher in the England squad? :lol:

Now you know we've no chance.

Heard MaCateer on sky sports yesterday saying Carragher is a worldie. What a numpty, hes a big ageing lump of a footballer whose been good in the past, but sadly, not now.

Rumours of Paul Scholes in the England squad? I'd start him if he's in. Happy with Carragher too, we need experience in there and Ferdinand is constantly injured.

GKs:

James, Hart, Robinson

DFs:

G. Johnson, P. Neville, Terry, Carragher, Dawson, Upson, A. Cole

MFs:

Lennon, Walcott, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Parker, Milner, A. Johnson

FWs:

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Zamora, Heskey

Italy squad.No Cassano,bloody joke,Squad too old,no chance of defending the thing!.

Keepers : Buffon, De Sanctis, Marchetti, Sirigu

Defence : Bocchetti, Bonucci, Cannavaro F., Cassani, Chiellini, Criscito, Grosso, Maggio, Zambrotta

Midfield : Camoranesi, Candreva, Cossu, De Rossi, Gattuso, Marchisio, Montolivo, Palombo, Pepe, Pirlo

Strikers : Borriello, Di Natale, Gilardino, Iaquinta, Pazzini, G.Rossi, Quagliarella.

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green, Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Did Leadlegs King and Micheal Dawson play against Burnley, becuase if they did and they couldnt stop championship team Burnley then what chance is there they'll be able to stop the worlds best strikers.

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green, Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Not bad really. I'd cull; Dawson, Wright-Phillips, Warnock, Carrick (he stays if Barry stays injured), Huddlestone, Parker, Defoe.

Fair play to Darren Bent, I think he deserves a place. He was the best player on the park when Sunderland were at Ewood.

Still cannot beleive Carragher is in the squad. He quit England as he spat his dummmy out because he wasn't getting a regular game. A player like that should never wear an england shirt.I think it was around the time when Bentley pulled out the u21 championship and he got slated by the media, yet Carragher, wih no reason to retire from England at 28/29? got nothing.

Feel a bit sorry for Robinson though, in most of the recent games of us on TV a lot of people have been saying he has to go to the world cup, but i guess not.

Well done Capello, that's a good provisional squad he's named. Then again, that's the easy part: the more difficult decision comes when he has to cut it down to 23.

Ive got to say, I'm baffled that Young hasn't even made the 30. He's better than Walcott and SWP by a country mile and has performed considerably better than both over the last two seasons. I'd also have Robinson over Green.

Other than that though, it's pretty much spot on.

I'd get rid of King, Upson, Warnock, Huddlestone, Walcott, SWP, and Heskey for the 23 man squad.

I can't believe that a goalkeeper who was relegated (James) and another who was almost relegated (Green) have been deemed superior to Robinson who stood on his head for most of the year. The alternative to Green and James is Hart, who has never played for England. It shows how little attention any in-form player at Ewood will get these days.

Archived