BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Liverpool

As there is no thread up and running yet, I thought i'd start this one...

So after the euphoria of Wednesday night what can we expect on Saturday?

For me, Kaninic has to start, alongside Di Santo with Benni sitting just behind them.

If we play like we did against Chelsea we have a very good chance.

COME ON YOU BLUES!

Rovers 2 Liverpool 1

Att 30,010

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope we have enough in the tank to compete after a pulsating 120 minute game last night whilst Liverpool have a clear week.

Id make 1 or 2 changes to freshen us up, but apart from that Id stick with a similar formation to the other night.

Maybe swap Di Santo for Roberts

Grella start instead of Gamst

I just hope we have enough in the tank to compete after a pulsating 120 minute game last night whilst Liverpool have a clear week.

They say you don't feel the burn when you're winning.

I actually think there's points in the bag here, but it all depends on how Sam sets his stall. Will the siege against Chelsea be a yardstick for the future? Or will it fall by the way side as we return to the dogmatic 4-4-1-1? We need to get at them, show no fear and take no prisoners. I don't think anyone minds a defeat, so long as we go down fighting. Try to shut up shop and squeeze out a point, and I think we all know what to expect.

Would this be an awfully ambitious line-up?

Robinson

Salgado - Nelsen - Samba - Chimbonda

Emerton - Nzonzi - Dunn

McCarthy

Di Santo - Kalinic

They say you don't feel the burn when you're winning.

I actually think there's points in the bag here, but it all depends on how Sam sets his stall. Will the siege against Chelsea be a yardstick for the future? Or will it fall by the way side as we return to the dogmatic 4-4-1-1? We need to get at them, show no fear and take no prisoners. I don't think anyone minds a defeat, so long as we go down fighting. Try to shut up shop and squeeze out a point, and I think we all know what to expect.

Would this be an awfully ambitious line-up?

Robinson

Salgado - Nelsen - Samba - Chimbonda

Emerton - Nzonzi - Dunn

McCarthy

Di Santo - Kalinic

I wouldn't put Dunn in a midfield three who are going to have to work their balls off to close down just to compete in midfield. He hasn't got the fitness. All for 4312/433 but I think you can only have one of Dunn or McCarthy accomdated. The rest need to have exceptional work rate and discipline to their positions.

So put Pedersen or Grella in where Dunn is and maybe start Dunn if he is fit enough ahead of McCarthy and I agree with you!

There's definitely going to be changes. I just don't see all the players playing after 120 mins against Chelsea.

Salgado is likely to be given a rest and replaced by Givet or Jacobsen. Roberts has to be taken off as well and Pedersen is likely to keep his place if we play with wingers.

If we play 4-4-2, I'd predict something like:

Chimbonda-Samba-Nelsen-Givet

Emerton-N'zonzi-Dunn-Pedersen

----Kalinic-Di Santo---------

I'd predict all of these will start:

Robinson

Chimbonda

Samba

Nelsen

Givet/Jacobsen

Emerton

N'zonzi

Pedersen

Kalinic/McCarthy

Di Santo

Dunn/Andrews

Only not sure about three of the choices, I'd expect either Dunn or Andrews to start if fit.

Not sure about the 4 3 1 2 formation.

Granted last night was brilliant but it was against a massively reduced Chelsea side. Saturday is against a full strength Liverpool side who are hugely under pressure to get a really great result at the moment. Two strikers upfront yes, but I feel as though we are going to have to keep a strong midfield. The sad fact is that no team is likely to give us the amount of space to play in Chelsea did last night.

Not sure about the 4 3 1 2 formation.

Granted last night was brilliant but it was against a massively reduced Chelsea side. Saturday is against a full strength Liverpool side who are hugely under pressure to get a really great result at the moment. Two strikers upfront yes, but I feel as though we are going to have to keep a strong midfield. The sad fact is that no team is likely to give us the amount of space to play in Chelsea did last night.

It's worked twice for us but it was against Portsmouth and Chelsea who field similar formations, which are quite narrow. So it's very useful in countering teams that play like that, but if we're playing against a team playing 4-4-2 and they are much wider then we'll get exposed quite easily on the flanks.

I simply hope we carry on were we left off against Chelsea. It will be criminal if Di Santo plays ahead of Kalinic who in one match has outscored the Chelsea work-experience lad for the whole season. Far better to pick players who belong to our club. Though not a great fan of McCarthy his contribution was significant on Wednesday so I'd like to see a 4-4-2 with Kalinic and McCarthy leading the attack. If we are to keep hold of Hoilett he needs to be involved over the next month, he may be young and in experienced but he knows where the goal is and has the confidence of youth.

Can we be a little realistic here? Wednesday's match was a CUP game ie no spoils shared, no replay, winner takes all. So both sides went for ir and it was great. That approach won't work against Liverpool in a Saturday League game. It wouldn't work even against lower sides like Stoke who flood the middle. 4-4-2 is a possibility but 4-3-3 with their mid-field against our's would hand them the game. Torres would have a field day.

I'm not sure where the preview is, no reply from the member doing it.

I'd be very suprised to see Kalinic in the starting 11, but I think bringing Benni into the dunn role behind Roberts and Di Santo is a must. Then have a confident Kalinic to bring on towards the end. I hope N Zonzi is fit as well.

Can we be a little realistic here? Wednesday's match was a CUP game ie no spoils shared, no replay, winner takes all. So both sides went for ir and it was great. That approach won't work against Liverpool in a Saturday League game. It wouldn't work even against lower sides like Stoke who flood the middle. 4-4-2 is a possibility but 4-3-3 with their mid-field against our's would hand them the game. Torres would have a field day.

I agree with your comment on the midfield, but we need to go out there and have a go. Liverpool are have problems and are beatable. They will not expect us to have a go at them and I think that's how we need to start from the off. If we pile the pressure on and get an early goal who know's what we might get out of the game. If we get beat we've not really lost anything against one of the 'big four'.

Aye let's sit back ...torres is too good to that too...that's realism.

For the second time this week I'll be following your result closely and hoping for a Rovers win, would love you to turn the bid dippers over on Saturday.

Growing up in the 80's I had a healthy respect for Liverpool but ever since that fat waiter took over I've really grown to dislike them.

I hope you give them a good going over.

If we play like we did on Wednesday night then I think we will give Liverpool a very tough game. Torres and Gerrard will both play but exactly how fit they are is another matter.

We cant afford to sit back and invite them onto us and at the same time we cant just go all out attack either. I would love to see us keep the same formation as Wed night with Dunn coming back for Benni, possibly Givet for Salgado (with Chimbonda at right back)and Di Santo for Roberts.

Rovers to draw 1-1

There are a few people saying we shouldn’t be as attacking on Saturday as it’s not a cup game. That’s rubbish. We should treat this as a cup game, any points from this is a bonus. I don’t want to watch our usual surrender against the big 4 with a defensive display. Lets go for it, same formation as Wednesday and tear into them. Liverpool are bound to score at some point – and if we play 4-5-1 we won’t even threaten their goal. If we go at them, it’ll get the fans going and we might have another entertaining game.

I'm far from being an expert on your players, form or tactics but what I would say is that I think its been proved this season that Liverpool's weakness is their defence. The amount of goals they are conceeding and the way the likes of Carragher have been playing I personally think teams are best going at Liverpool as they are struggling to cope with that approach.

If you sit back and try and play a tight game they are still capable of breaking sides down without Torres and Gerrard or with them only semi fit so I'd say go at them early and hard if you get ahead they may just crumble.

We have been excellent at home so far under Sam. 2 losses in 17 games (Villa last season, City this) - its Fortress Ewood again and if we put the effort in we did the other night then we will take something from this one.

The main players that HAVE to play for me are - Samba, Robbo, Chimbonda, NZonzi, Emerton, Kalinic & maybe Benni. The rest can be swapped around to freshen it up if needed.

Id play Grella as I think he would relish the battle in midfield, especially with the bulldog Mascherano (sp) in their!

Id also play Givet rather than Nelsen as his pace could catch us out otherwise!

I'm expecting changes on Saturday.

I can see Salgado back on the bench and Kali. I'd be delighted though if we take the same approach as we did against Chelsea, with Sam supposedly writing off games against the big 4, then why not just have a go. We have a one game week coming up so most who played on Wednesday should be fine for this game with the right prep-work.

Liverpool's fullbacks, especially the left back are weak area's and with three potentially up front they'd be forced to think twice about pushing forward. I'd also like to see Salgado getting at the likes of Aurelio and Insua provided he can cope with two very demanding games in 4 days. Midfield wouldn't change a thing, same three for me with Dunn hopefully in the hole, if not Benni.

We have nothing to lose our track record against them is awful, so hopefully we ditch the hope we can hang on attitude and "GET INTO 'EM".

Team for me.

--------------Robbo--------------

Salgado---Samba---Nelsen---Chimbonda

-----Emerton--N'zonzi--Pedersen----

--------------Dunn----------------

------Kalinic------Di Santo-------

Expected.

-------------Robbo----------------

Chimbonda--Samba--Nelsen---Givet

----------N'zonzi--Grella---------

Emerton--------Dunn----------Diouf

--------------Di Santo------------

If we let Liverpool control the game we're done for. I'm dead keen to see what happens with Sam back in the dug-out and calling the shots directly. As long as we try I'll be happy, but if we sit back again hoping for a clean sheet and a nicked on on the break, I'll not be. But I really can see Sam thinking about starting his normal way and then provided around 60 or so its still a stalemate, bringing on two more strikers and reverting to attack. Guess it depends on how hopeful you are we can make it to 60 with a clean sheet??

I honestly think that if we attack from the off, we stand a good chance of getting something from the game.

I agree with your comment on the midfield, but we need to go out there and have a go. Liverpool are have problems and are beatable. They will not expect us to have a go at them and I think that's how we need to start from the off. If we pile the pressure on and get an early goal who know's what we might get out of the game. If we get beat we've not really lost anything against one of the 'big four'.

i agree with this. We should attack from the start but we should put maximum pressure on their mid-field to prevent Torres (and Kuyt) getting the service they require. If anyone thinks we can do that with Wednesday's line-up, they are dreaming.4-4-2 is as far as we could go imo.,but the manager is paid to make these decisions not me. Please ignore Abbey, his respnose is not remotely what I was suggesting.

I think people are going a little OTT with three strikers thing. It was more a 4-4-2 diamond (with McCarthy at the tip) to match Chelsea's formation man-for-man. It caught them off guard in the first half, but when they changed things around in the second they got on top of it; fortunately the Kalou injury enabled us to regain the advantage.

It's not a formation to be used every week, if teams are expecting us to play it then it can be easily exploited. As Liverpool play 4-2-3-1 it wouldn't surprise me if we tried to match their five man midfield, although I personally would like us to stay with two strikers.

if we sit back and play a 4-4-1-1 we will get beaten, lets go for either a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 and lest give it a go liverpool back four its not want it once was and can be got at so lets get at it. :rolleyes:

Archived