BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Hull

Shabani

The Turbulent year of Hull City AFC

December 2008 was to prove quite a pivotal month in the futures of both Hull and Rovers. Hull, conquerors of Arsenal, Spurs, West ham and Fulham suddenly went from challenging for Europe (Paul Duffen’s words, not mine) to HalfTimeGate all before Christmas. This was the month of Hull’s implosion and the subsequent dreadful run which followed.

We, of course, decided that Paul Ince was no longer fit to manage in the top flight about twenty minutes into the Wigan match (some knew this earlier, some still refuse to accept it......) and replaced him with Sam Allardyce, a man with the kind of old-school experience that would lead us away from trouble and to eventual safety

HULL’S YEAR

hullr.jpg

From December 2008 to December 2009 there’s not been much to cheer about for Phil Brown and the Tigers. Just 1 league win after beating Middlesbrough on the 6th December 2008 until the end of the season saw them limp across the finishing line in 17th position, surviving by 1 point. Star January signing Jimmy Bullard picked up an injury on debut and was ruled out for the rest of the season during this run.

This season has been just as bad for Hull and saw them pick up just two wins in the first three months. During this time chairman Phil Duffen left and was replaced by former chairman Adam Pearson. Rumours that Brown was to be sacked soon became common knowledge and he survived by the skin of his teeth. A mini revival saw them collect 2 wins and 2 draws in the space of 4 games that ensured Brown’s survival and moved the side into a healthier position. This was down almost entirely to the return of Bullard, scoring goals and providing them with a midfielder that would walk into many a PL side. Defeat at Villa and injury to Bullard has put them back down to 16th place and they eagerly await news on Bullard’s injury.....

------------

LAST YEAR’S FIXTURE

Hull City 1 Blackburn Rovers 2 – Goals - Warnock, Andrews. Sent off - MGP

Last year’s fixture was the game that lead Rovers charge out of the relegation places. A topsy turvy game featuring two fantastic performances from MOTM Stephen Warnock (no longer at the club) and Roque Santa Cruz (no longer at the club), with goals from Warnock and Keith Andrews (unfortunately still at the club). 2-0 up at half time and things were going great. Of course, this being Rovers, instead of killing the game off they decided to make a game of it. Robinson went off at half time injured, followed by MGP 25 minutes later(sent off). A goal by Hull lynchpin Ian Ashbee made it a frantic last 10 minutes but Rovers hung on for a priceless win.

hull2.jpg

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am contemplating a day out on the train, me and my iPod travelling northeastwards to Hull via mankchester whilst sampling a few lagers away from the wife and kids and dog.

I think this game is pivotal again in Rovers season especially with big club around the corner next week.

The Bullard factor can work for Rovers in the fact that he wont be playing but it could also work agaisnt us as it might galvanise the Tigers.

I still think Rovers will take the points as we continue to improve both defensively and in attack.

Please Sam, No Andrews and its a 3 point haul.

Cracking preview.

I'd make one change though.

We, of course, decided that Paul Ince was no longer NEVER fit to manage in the top flight about twenty minutes into the Wigan match (some knew this earlier, some still refuse to accept it......) and replaced him with Sam Allardyce, a man with the kind of old-school experience that would lead us away from trouble and to eventual safety

Looking forward to this one, Bullard out, serious money issues and staff leaving, Happy days. Could be our first win on the road!!!

We need to avoid complacency, but this is certainly 3pts ripe for the picking.

Depending on Dunn's fitness, I'd like to see:

Robinson

Salgado - Samba - Nelsen - Chimbonda

Emerton - Grella - Nzonzi - Dunn*

Di Santo - Kalinic

* Free-role from the left.

Subs: Brown, Givet, Diouf, Pedersen, Hoilett, McCarthy, Roberts.

• Backroom

Quite confident over this one. Hull are a poor team who have had their hopes pinned on Bullard staying fit. However, I believe it was Everton they beat without him (not entirely sure, but I think that's right) so we have to be careful and stay focused.

Another performance like Chelsea/Liverpool and it'll be comfortable. 2-0 Rovers.

Interesting game are Rovers finally looking like a team with a purpose after the last two games?

Just hope we can put the ball in the net rather than keep missing and that Robbo stops them at the other end, i'm sure Brown will have seen Robbos weaknesses and will tell his team to shoot on sight from outside the box.

Ball in the net please Rovers.

Didnt think id say this - but id start Roberts upfront for this game (Rather than Di Santo) - alongside Benni.

Bullard out for 6-8 weeks is bad news for them. Hope we can take all 3 points.

21pts come Saturday 5pm would be a decent haul after 16 games and would give us a great boost ahead of Big Club during the week.

Quite confident over this one. Hull are a poor team who have had their hopes pinned on Bullard staying fit. However, I believe it was Everton they beat without him (not entirely sure, but I think that's right) so we have to be careful and stay focused.

Another performance like Chelsea/Liverpool and it'll be comfortable. 2-0 Rovers.

Agree although Everton have been playing badly, so perhaps wasn't as suprising as first thought. The other cautionary note is that I'm going and my away record has been less than impressive the last couple of seasons.

Will Dunn be back? We're not a 1 man team like Hull, but he does make a massive difference to our performances.

I'd go with 4-4-2, as Hull are there for the taking.

Team:

Robbo

Chimbonda Samba Nelsen Givet

Emerton N'Zonzi Grella Dunn (if fit)

Benni Di Santo

We will get chances in this game, as we've been playing well and Hull aren't all that defensively. The question is will we take them. For me because of this Benni has to start as he's most likely to finish the chances we get. I'd also like to see Holliett and Kalinic get runs out in this game as they won't get too many easier teams in the league. A tiring Hull would really struggle with Holliett's pace.

Looking forward to a great day out and hopefully 3 points.

Didnt think id say this - but id start Roberts upfront for this game (Rather than Di Santo) - alongside Benni.

Bullard out for 6-8 weeks is bad news for them. Hope we can take all 3 points.

21pts come Saturday 5pm would be a decent haul after 16 games and would give us a great boost ahead of Big Club during the week.

Roberts can stay where he belongs, on the bench.

They are in turmoil, on and off the pitch. They are also one of the weakest teams we will face all year so I'm keen to see Di Santo play, he's finally getting into some goal scoring positions and this is a great chance for him to add to his tally.

For me the youger players should be on the pitch for this one.

If Dunn is back, then him Kalinic and Di Santo should start with Roberts "super-sub" Roberts on the bench, Benni as well (2 games in a week, poor lad will be knackered).

Looking at how hull play I think it might be a good game to use 4312 as they won't look to pass it through midfield so lack of numbers is not really an issue. Plus it suits Dunn if he is back:-

--------Di Santo-----Kalinic

------------------Dunn

-------Grella--NZonzi---Emerton

Givet---Nelsen---Samba---Chimbonda

---------------Robinson

Subs:- Brown, Salgado, Diouf, Pedersen, McCarthy, Andrews/Roberts, Hoilett

A bit harsh to drop McCarthy but I think Dunn will cause them more problems and I do honestly feel it is better to only have one of the two of them because of issues it creates when we don't have the ball.

We need to use whatever pace we have against Hull, that's one of their back lines main weakness, so I'm hoping we have something similar to:

--------Di Santo-----Hoilett

------------------McCarthy

-------Grella--NZonzi---Emerton

Givet---Nelsen---Samba---Chimbonda

---------------Robinson

(assuming Dunn is out)

Tough decision really as Roberts physical presence would cause nuisance as aways, however Kalinic gives a good shout for a start too. Decisions decisions decisions!

Purely because I think Roberts strength will batter their poor defence - then maybe bring the Kalinic or Di Santo's on later.

Also he seems to do well with Benni and could provide us with a good scoreline.

We really need to sort our goal difference out as the middle of the table is very tight and our goal difference is poor.

I wouldn't be surpirsed to see this

Robbo

Chimbonda Nelson Samba Givet

Emerton Grella Nzonzi

benni(dunn if fit)

roberts Di santo

Hunt and geovanni could be on the flanks. About all we need to worry about. Different team without Bullard. Shame really, i was looking forward to seeing him on saturday. Also I am taking my friend to his first away game, a recently converted man u fan after he has been to ewood on very cheap tickets.

Cracking news all round

I wouldn't be surpirsed to see this

Robbo

Chimbonda Nelson Samba Givet

Emerton Grella Nzonzi

benni(dunn if fit)

roberts Di santo

Hunt and geovanni could be on the flanks. About all we need to worry about. Different team without Bullard. Shame really, i was looking forward to seeing him on saturday. Also I am taking my friend to his first away game, a recently converted man u fan after he has been to ewood on very cheap tickets.

Cracking news all round

Indeed, great news!The ONLY changes I'd make to that line-up is to swap Grella and N'Zonzi round and have Kalinic start ahead of Roberts. I'd like them both to play together for the full first half at least.

Archived