BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Hull

Shabani

Two of Kalinic, Di Santo and McCarthy to start in attack, please. Preferably, the first two as highlighted in my first post. Roberts is perfect as a super-sub, despite what his ego suggests, and this is a great opportunity for the young lads to get amongst the goals.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some people are getting carried away with two decent performance on the bounce. It won't be easy at Hull, they've turned the corner form wise. Given the fact they'll busting a gut to make up for Bullard's abscence we'll have to be at our best to get a win. I#m not as pessismistic as Phil, I'll go for a draw.

Team

Robinson

Cimbonda

Samba

Nelsen

Givet

Emerton

Nzonzi

Grella

Dunn

DiSanto

McCarthy

The Turbulent year of Hull City AFC

December 2008 was to prove quite a pivotal month in the futures of both Hull and Rovers. Hull, conquerors of Arsenal, Spurs, West ham and Fulham suddenly went from challenging for Europe (Paul Duffen’s words, not mine) to HalfTimeGate all before Christmas. This was the month of Hull’s implosion and the subsequent dreadful run which followed.

We, of course, decided that Paul Ince was no longer fit to manage in the top flight about twenty minutes into the Wigan match (some knew this earlier, some still refuse to accept it......) and replaced him with Sam Allardyce, a man with the kind of old-school experience that would lead us away from trouble and to eventual safety

HULL’S YEAR

hullr.jpg

From December 2008 to December 2009 there’s not been much to cheer about for Phil Brown and the Tigers. Just 1 league win after beating Middlesbrough on the 6th December 2008 until the end of the season saw them limp across the finishing line in 17th position, surviving by 1 point. Star January signing Jimmy Bullard picked up an injury on debut and was ruled out for the rest of the season during this run.

This season has been just as bad for Hull and saw them pick up just two wins in the first three months. During this time chairman Phil Duffen left and was replaced by former chairman Adam Pearson. Rumours that Brown was to be sacked soon became common knowledge and he survived by the skin of his teeth. A mini revival saw them collect 2 wins and 2 draws in the space of 4 games that ensured Brown’s survival and moved the side into a healthier position. This was down almost entirely to the return of Bullard, scoring goals and providing them with a midfielder that would walk into many a PL side. Defeat at Villa and injury to Bullard has put them back down to 16th place and they eagerly await news on Bullard’s injury.....

------------

LAST YEAR’S FIXTURE

Hull City 1 Blackburn Rovers 2 – Goals - Warnock, Andrews. Sent off - MGP

Last year’s fixture was the game that lead Rovers charge out of the relegation places. A topsy turvy game featuring two fantastic performances from MOTM Stephen Warnock (no longer at the club) and Roque Santa Cruz (no longer at the club), with goals from Warnock and Keith Andrews (unfortunately still at the club). 2-0 up at half time and things were going great. Of course, this being Rovers, instead of killing the game off they decided to make a game of it. Robinson went off at half time injured, followed by MGP 25 minutes later(sent off). A goal by Hull lynchpin Ian Ashbee made it a frantic last 10 minutes but Rovers hung on for a priceless win.

hull2.jpg

I believe Rovers will win this one. Yes Hull have improved recently, but there again so have Rovers. It will be close, but a Rovers win should be the result.

The locals are shattered by the demise of Bullard and the Pearson/Jimmy effect for the Tigers is well and truly over. Phil will be out by the New Year and there is real pressure on them for this game - have you seen their next two fixtures (Arse A ManU H)? We have possibilities of another clean sheet and at least one goal in each half.

But i hope they stay up because it is good for the town, should remain easy points for us and, like Nellybc, it's a stroll to the ground for once.

As mentioned by others, I think Hull´s only threat is down the flanks through Hunt and Geovanni. If we keep those quiet, we will win. Therefore I think it´s dangerous to play the 4-3-1-2 that many on here would like to see. That formation would see us become vulnerable down the flanks. Standrard 4-4-2 for me.

Hunt will be their main threat, but I see them being fairly demoralised after losing Bullard. We have to win this one, it's one of those away games that we should be winning, especially considering our away record so far. Hull's form has to dip again sooner or later and I think it will be against us.

2-0 is my prediction, Kalinic or Di Santo to score.

I think some people are getting carried away with two decent performance on the bounce. It won't be easy at Hull, they've turned the corner form wise. Given the fact they'll busting a gut to make up for Bullard's abscence we'll have to be at our best to get a win. I#m not as pessismistic as Phil, I'll go for a draw.

Team

Agreed there form is good at home their last six, L W D W D W, we are getting better but as we showed against Fulham away we are still vulnerable, it's a different matter if we can start taking our home form away with us.

Even without Bullard they are no walkover at the KC, Brown will not want another lesson from the master.

I do like the look of the 3 in MF Grella, Emerton and N'Zonzi with one of Dunny or Benni behind the two strikers.

A cautious 1-1 from me depending on how we line up/tactics 4-5-1 if we go more like the above 1-2/3

COYB

The locals are shattered by the demise of Bullard and the Pearson/Jimmy effect for the Tigers is well and truly over. Phil will be out by the New Year and there is real pressure on them for this game - have you seen their next two fixtures (Arse A ManU H)? We have possibilities of another clean sheet and at least one goal in each half.

But i hope they stay up because it is good for the town, should remain easy points for us and, like Nellybc, it's a stroll to the ground for once.

Nobody is THAT fussed - the games whilst Bullard is out includes Man Utd twice, Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs other than that he'll miss this weekends game, a cup game against Wigan and an away match at Bolton. So that's 5 games he's missing were Hull City wouldn't be expected to get any points even with Bullard in the team. By the way, Hull is a city ;-)

I wouldn't say the Pearson effect is over - his name will most likely be sung at the weekend.

I think the game could go either way, it depends which teams turn up on the day - Hull City were dreadful against Villa, but in the last 20 mins of the game the team started playing like they have been again.

I can see Myhill replacing Duke in goal. I think people are wrong when they say the biggest threat is Hunt & Geovanni. Hunt, yes - Geovanni has been poor of late. If Fagan starts in a 4-4-2 alongside Altidore, it could be an interesting game - the two of them were forming a good partnership until Fagan got injured. Though Altidore had a poor game against Villa, so Jan the van man of Hessle Road might start in his place, which I think he might with Geo alongside him and Fagan on the right-wing, which if Brown does - Rovers will win, IMO.

I think those suggesting Roberts to start would be right to. Gardner and Zayatte both really struggled with Heskey's strength against Villa.

Some of you may remember I did a guide for day-trippers and for those staying over for a night out, I can post it again, with updated bits or if you want any info I can answer your questions. Hull probably has more FREE museums and galleries than any other city in the U.K. so you won't be short of things to do.

Hull City are using the game to promote Hull's bid to be a host city at the World Cup in 2018, and because Blackburn's nearest bid city is Manchester and is guarenteed to be a host, everyone in Kingston-Upon-Hull would appreciate it if everyone from Blackburn would opt in with their support, and back the bid too, please.

Those of you who're day-tripping too will hopfully enjoy your stay and may want to come back for a World Cup game?

We should go with our 3 midfielders of NZonzi, Grella & Emerton with maybe Pedersen on the left, Benni in the hole, and possibly Roberts up-top.

We need to go there and frustrate them for the 1st 20 minutes - dont concede a soft goal and try to score at the other end - we need to quieten the crowd and get them on the backs of their players....If we play this one correctly then I feel a decent away win is their for the taking.

Il go for a 2-0 to Rovers, Hull down to 10 men

No question it will be a tough game. Hull will not roll over for us at home. That being said, we are in a rich vein of form right now and for the first time in a long time I'm actually optimistic about a result.

The form book says Draw but I say Rover Win (just). Pretty good chance though that a loss for Hull could lose Brown his job, they won't be getting any more points before Christmas and that's chopping time traditionally - interesting dynamic then between Sam and apprentice.

Probably need a very solid midfield for this one so not too fussed if we go with only one up front but please Sam set up for the attack and keep them under pressure. Save the long balls for when their back four are up by the half way line and then go over the top with Franco and Junior, it'll kill them with worry.

Nobody is THAT fussed - the games whilst Bullard is out includes Man Utd twice, Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs other than that he'll miss this weekends game, a cup game against Wigan and an away match at Bolton. So that's 5 games he's missing were Hull City wouldn't be expected to get any points even with Bullard in the team. By the way, Hull is a city ;-)

I wouldn't say the Pearson effect is over - his name will most likely be sung at the weekend.

I think the game could go either way, it depends which teams turn up on the day - Hull City were dreadful against Villa, but in the last 20 mins of the game the team started playing like they have been again.

I can see Myhill replacing Duke in goal. I think people are wrong when they say the biggest threat is Hunt & Geovanni. Hunt, yes - Geovanni has been poor of late. If Fagan starts in a 4-4-2 alongside Altidore, it could be an interesting game - the two of them were forming a good partnership until Fagan got injured. Though Altidore had a poor game against Villa, so Jan the van man of Hessle Road might start in his place, which I think he might with Geo alongside him and Fagan on the right-wing, which if Brown does - Rovers will win, IMO.

I think those suggesting Roberts to start would be right to. Gardner and Zayatte both really struggled with Heskey's strength against Villa.

Some of you may remember I did a guide for day-trippers and for those staying over for a night out, I can post it again, with updated bits or if you want any info I can answer your questions. Hull probably has more FREE museums and galleries than any other city in the U.K. so you won't be short of things to do.

Hull City are using the game to promote Hull's bid to be a host city at the World Cup in 2018, and because Blackburn's nearest bid city is Manchester and is guarenteed to be a host, everyone in Kingston-Upon-Hull would appreciate it if everyone from Blackburn would opt in with their support, and back the bid too, please.

Those of you who're day-tripping too will hopfully enjoy your stay and may want to come back for a World Cup game?

I'm sure the foreign fans would be overwhelmed to be playing in Hull... A 25,000 seater stadium in the middle of knowhere? Are you serious?

As for the game, I'm confident our lads will be on a high after the last few games and Sam will be going for all 3 points.

2-0 to the Rovers.

I'm sure the foreign fans would be overwhelmed to be playing in Hull... A 25,000 seater stadium in the middle of knowhere? Are you serious?

As for the game, I'm confident our lads will be on a high after the last few games and Sam will be going for all 3 points.

2-0 to the Rovers.

Hull City Council have already agreed to foot the bill for the extention to the KC - it'll be extended to 33,000 and taken up to 44,000 with temporary seating. Planning permission is already there and the foundations to put a second tier on the East Stand were put in place when the KC was built.

In the middle of nowhere? You've got to remember, these fans will be coming from all over the world - Hull is a gateway to Europe. The city has strong ties with Holland and quite good links with Belgium - both countries of which are connected to other countries. There are daily ferries to and from Rotterdam/Amsterdam and to and from Bruges. Humberside airport also has strong links to Amsterdam airport with regular flights. Plus, there is the M62 linking the city to the rest of England.

As well as football fans, these people are travellers and will want to experience things as a tourist in-between games. Tourism wise, I believe Hull has more to offer than somewhere like Leeds does. Other than it having the shops, bars, restaurants and hotels to accomodate people, it doesn't have as much to do - shops, bars, restaurants and hotels are material things which every other place has.

Hull City Council have already agreed to foot the bill for the extention to the KC - it'll be extended to 33,000 and taken up to 44,000 with temporary seating. Planning permission is already there and the foundations to put a second tier on the East Stand were put in place when the KC was built.

In the middle of nowhere? You've got to remember, these fans will be coming from all over the world - Hull is a gateway to Europe. The city has strong ties with Holland and quite good links with Belgium - both countries of which are connected to other countries. There are daily ferries to and from Rotterdam/Amsterdam and to and from Bruges. Humberside airport also has strong links to Amsterdam airport with regular flights. Plus, there is the M62 linking the city to the rest of England.

As well as football fans, these people are travellers and will want to experience things as a tourist in-between games. Tourism wise, I believe Hull has more to offer than somewhere like Leeds does. Other than it having the shops, bars, restaurants and hotels to accomodate people, it doesn't have as much to do - shops, bars, restaurants and hotels are material things which every other place has.

It's great new's that you have got plans for extending the stadium. I've always thought it's such a small stadium for such a large catchment area. I assume the board have been waiting for your Premier League status to be consolidated before any works began.

Hopefully 3 points at the KC on Saturday could be the start of Rovers possibly re-opening our gateway to Europe??? It's never going to be an easy game against Hull as you never know which of your players are going to turn up but I think Sam will be taking this one personally with his links with Phil Brown.

Hull 2-2 Rovers. Leaky defences on both sides. We have better quality throughout our ranks but I think their home advantage will edge them a draw. Emerton and Chimbonda for us. Can't recall half their team!

It's worth a punt on Emo, he'll be available at around 18/1 I'd have thought.

It's great new's that you have got plans for extending the stadium. I've always thought it's such a small stadium for such a large catchment area. I assume the board have been waiting for your Premier League status to be consolidated before any works began.

Hopefully 3 points at the KC on Saturday could be the start of Rovers possibly re-opening our gateway to Europe??? It's never going to be an easy game against Hull as you never know which of your players are going to turn up but I think Sam will be taking this one personally with his links with Phil Brown.

It's worth a punt on Emo, he'll be available at around 18/1 I'd have thought.

Yeah, the East Riding has 900,000 inhabitants, then there is the South Bank and there are Dutch supporters applying for tickets in batches over 100, but only able to get around 50 at the moment. I think a lot of it is due to local people supporting the 'Big 4' instead all these years because Hull City were always in the lower leagues, now the support is increasing all the time - probably why the board decided to wait - now the council are footing the bill, it doesn't matter.

The club have just bought 93 acres of land to build a brand new training ground though, which will accomodate one of the teams should Hull win it's bid to be a host city.

haha, I like the gateway to Europe tie-in there.

To be honest, I don't even think Phil Brown knows who's gunna turn up - he has what has been branded a 'naughty step' with players on and off it all the time as well as operating more rotations than Rafa. The recent 4 game unbeaten run was almost the same team in each game. He'd be a decent manager if he wasn't soo erratic - but then again, we spectators always have a question over the manager don't we? the usual suspects of "why the hell did he make that sub? it's obvious he should have brought 'player.X' on instead!" :lol:

we spectators always have a question over the manager don't we? the usual suspects of "why the hell did he make that sub? it's obvious he should have brought 'player.X' on instead!" :lol:

Good to see other clubs have similar issues to us!!! I always know better than Big Sam, thats why I'm in the plumbing game and not a Premier League manager... :blink:

What's your prediction for Saturday then?

Four of us going via coach, had great time there last year.

We went by train the day before and went out round the city that night, great night out so many bars etc. Met up with cousin and ended up kipping on his birds sofa lol. Fantastic atmosphere and the ground is very impressive although the Anallby road route to the ground is a bit of a dump.

Can't wait

2-0 Rovers, Benni and Roberts/Samba

Come on you blues!

Good to see other clubs have similar issues to us!!! I always know better than Big Sam, thats why I'm in the plumbing game and not a Premier League manager... :blink:

What's your prediction for Saturday then?

As I said in my original post, it's hard to tell til the day of the game, as it depends on who plays, as well as who turns up mentally.

For example, if MGP plays for Rovers, I don't think he'll get much of a look in, as McShane has come into some good form lately. If he has Dunn running at him however, McShane's inability to run faster than an OAP scooter will see him make rash challenges. It depends if the usual Marney turns up in midfield or the one who put in a brilliant 'step-up to the Jimmy plate' style performance Vs Everton. Also depends which Olofinjana comes back from injury - he was rubbish, then played 2 or 3 really good games back-to-back and then got injured playing for Nigeria.

I think if Brown plays a 4-4-2 with Fagan and Altidore upfront, it'll be 2-2, maybe someone nicking it 3-2, but a decent game of football for both sets of fans (good attacking football with shakey defences at both ends). If Brown opts for 4-5-1/4-4-1-1, I see a scrappy, not so enjoyable game of football, with Rovers winning 2-0. I've got a feeling Brown will go with Geovanni in the hole though, meaning 4-5-1, with Jan the van man of Hessle Road as a lone striker, resulting in the team playing more hoof than the football of good passing quality which has been played lately - probably resulting in Rovers being 2-0 up by 60 mins and Brown realising he's got it wrong and trying to change it around by bringing Altidore on too late.

Four of us going via coach, had great time there last year.

We went by train the day before and went out round the city that night, great night out so many bars etc. Met up with cousin and ended up kipping on his birds sofa lol. Fantastic atmosphere and the ground is very impressive although the Anallby road route to the ground is a bit of a dump.

Can't wait

2-0 Rovers, Benni and Roberts/Samba

Come on you blues!

Was it Old Town you went round or Princes Ave area?

Yeah, everyone admits Anlaby Rd is a bit of a mess - it's been earmarked for regeneration along with West Park which is the park the KC is situated in. Anlaby Rd will, in the next few years be brand new housing, have quite a few grassed, public squares with art and sculptures lining the street.

Anyone coming through for a Saturday night out? I'm hoping to be out, but the missus is tryna make me go to a 'bring your own booze' Hawaiian party!

Anyone drinking on the day, I suggest you go down Princes Avenue, the Anlaby Rd and Walton Street pubs get rammed full and are a bit chavvy, though good for a good chin-wag with fellow footie fans. Prinny Ave is more cosmopolitan.

We should go with our 3 midfielders of NZonzi, Grella & Emerton with maybe Pedersen on the left, Benni in the hole, and possibly Roberts up-top.

We need to go there and frustrate them for the 1st 20 minutes - dont concede a soft goal and try to score at the other end - we need to quieten the crowd and get them on the backs of their players....If we play this one correctly then I feel a decent away win is their for the taking.

Il go for a 2-0 to Rovers, Hull down to 10 men

442, will do for me same team as Pool will do nicely with Benni having a rest and Kalinic coming in.

--------Robbo---------

Chim--Samba-Nelsen--Givet

Emo--Grella--N'zonzi--Diouf

------Kali--Di Santo----

I'd be going at them from the start without their usual support before a game they could quite feasibly be not in the right frame of mind, so strike from the off. An early goal/pressure and they'll either be galvanised or they will fold like cards, its worth the risk.

Saturday will be the end of our away day blues, provided we turn up.

2-0 to the Rovers.

It's off the beaten track rather than in the middle of nowhere. Hull's a pretty big city and the surrounding area is pretty nice too. It's not like people going to say Manchester are going to go out and visit Oldham, Rochdale and Bolton now is it?

Archived