SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 2009/10

den

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its down at Ewood, anyone gone?!

I had no idea the youth cup was being played Hughesy, or I would have gone. Always go to these games, but only saw the news on the official site 1 hour before K.O. [i'm sure it has been mentioned on there before, it's just that I hadn't read it].

Finished 3-0. Hope they are at home next round.

Thoroughly deserved win tonight for the boys.

As what seems to be like always we started off a bit slow but then took a firm control of the game.

With a few of the reserve team players dropping down a level (Lowe and Jones) I thought it would be interesting to see how the team did. Especially as Lowe had only made 1 appearance for the U18 this season and Jones hadn't at all.

With Morris playing in a slightly unfamiliar role of LB there were a few changes all round.

Blackpool started off the game with a break away and froced a few corners after a few deflected shots which could have caused Swann problems. Rovers then started to take control with plenty of possession in midfield but unable to find a way through a stern Blackpool defence which mainly consisted of 10 men behind the ball. Rovers had a few crosses going into the box but nothing could be made of them with crosses a bit to high or shots blocked by defence of keeper.

Just before half time Rovers got their reward, Evans got a cross in from the right, Banton took what looked to be too many touches but finally got half a yard and fired the ball in from 12 yds past an unprotected keeper.

Rovers came out in the second half and carried on pressing, Banton had a run through on goal which took him round the keeper before hitting the post from a tight angle. Shortly after that Rovers doubled their lead.

After Blackpool had a penalty shout at one end, Rovers broke and won a free kick on the left touchline 18 yds out, unhappy with the decision of both their right back smashed the ball right into Banton, only one conclusion everyone thought, even their manager, but the ref had other ideas and didn't even book him. From the free kick Osawe jumped with the keeper in what would normally be classed as a foul I thought and the ball broke 8 yds out for Hitchcock to smash home.

Rovers started to make more changes but got a deserved 3rd after Blackpool had gone down to 10 with no subs left. Bowen received the ball on the edge of the area from a short taken corner. He took a touch onto his right foot and blasted the ball, and it looked to go through the keeper's arms.

Rovers got a deserved victory in the end and although not playing well did what they had to.

Swann- 6 Not a great amount to do but did what he had to well on the whole, produced one good save from one of Blackpool's best chances.

Ramm 7- Looked good going forward as always but also did well defensively, would prefer to have seen him get tighter to his man at times but did well, had a good 25yd effort tipped over.

Morris 6- Unfamiliar left back position for the CM but he did OK but you can tell he's not comfortable all the time, very good going forward as you'd expect.

Hanley 7- Did well against their main striker and won numerous free kicks from him, had a header just wide in the 1st half, I'm still not his biggest fan though.

Jones 7- As you'd expect a comfortable performance by him, not worried really by them and even went on a few Samba mazy runs.

Bowen 8- Best game I've seen from him got into good positions and capped it with a good goal.

Potts 6- Not his best game, some good passing around the area but not everything came off for him

Lowe 7- Played the sitting midfielder role and passed the ball from one side of the pitch to the other.

Evans 7- Had the best of either of their full backs throughout but crosses just couldn't find their men.

Banton 9- Give this guy the ball and more often than not something good will happen, causes chaos to opposition even when double marked, took his goal well.

Hitchcock 7- Couldn't miss his goal and ran around putting pressure on as always, he lost it for a while in the 2nd half and got booked, 1st time I've seen this in his game, hopefully the last.

Osawe, Knowles and Morrissey all came on, not much time for the final 2 but Osawe looked good. What's the story with him Lee? Where's he emerged from?

Good to see a few reserve team players there as well as Olsson and Junior, also a few former reserve players were there.

Also Gary Parkinson is Blackpool's yth team manager, former Boro, Bolton, Dingle and PNE, never shut up whole game and had to be talked to by ref in the end.

The best player for me and i'd like parsonblue to give us his opinion on the lad who looked one of the most comfortable players on the ball was Jason Lowe this is the first time i've ever seen him.

Some really impressive passing of the ball from the lad, looked to play the ball with the outside of his foot made short, long passes,forward, sideways, willing to run with the ball and have a shot, being very mobile, definitely the pick for me.

Also thought the lad Potts was desperately unlucky to be subbed in the second half as he was probing in the second half.

The rest nothing special, even young Jones. Local Oakdale lad Louis Almond (number 9) Blackpools Dirk Kuiyt had a very quiet night.

Thoroughly deserved win tonight for the boys.

As what seems to be like always we started off a bit slow but then took a firm control of the game.

With a few of the reserve team players dropping down a level (Lowe and Jones) I thought it would be interesting to see how the team did. Especially as Lowe had only made 1 appearance for the U18 this season and Jones hadn't at all.

With Morris playing in a slightly unfamiliar role of LB there were a few changes all round.

Blackpool started off the game with a break away and froced a few corners after a few deflected shots which could have caused Swann problems. Rovers then started to take control with plenty of possession in midfield but unable to find a way through a stern Blackpool defence which mainly consisted of 10 men behind the ball. Rovers had a few crosses going into the box but nothing could be made of them with crosses a bit to high or shots blocked by defence of keeper.

Just before half time Rovers got their reward, Evans got a cross in from the right, Banton took what looked to be too many touches but finally got half a yard and fired the ball in from 12 yds past an unprotected keeper.

Rovers came out in the second half and carried on pressing, Banton had a run through on goal which took him round the keeper before hitting the post from a tight angle. Shortly after that Rovers doubled their lead.

After Blackpool had a penalty shout at one end, Rovers broke and won a free kick on the left touchline 18 yds out, unhappy with the decision of both their right back smashed the ball right into Banton, only one conclusion everyone thought, even their manager, but the ref had other ideas and didn't even book him. From the free kick Osawe jumped with the keeper in what would normally be classed as a foul I thought and the ball broke 8 yds out for Hitchcock to smash home.

Rovers started to make more changes but got a deserved 3rd after Blackpool had gone down to 10 with no subs left. Bowen received the ball on the edge of the area from a short taken corner. He took a touch onto his right foot and blasted the ball, and it looked to go through the keeper's arms.

Rovers got a deserved victory in the end and although not playing well did what they had to.

Swann- 6 Not a great amount to do but did what he had to well on the whole, produced one good save from one of Blackpool's best chances.

Ramm 7- Looked good going forward as always but also did well defensively, would prefer to have seen him get tighter to his man at times but did well, had a good 25yd effort tipped over.

Morris 6- Unfamiliar left back position for the CM but he did OK but you can tell he's not comfortable all the time, very good going forward as you'd expect.

Hanley 7- Did well against their main striker and won numerous free kicks from him, had a header just wide in the 1st half, I'm still not his biggest fan though.

Jones 7- As you'd expect a comfortable performance by him, not worried really by them and even went on a few Samba mazy runs.

Bowen 8- Best game I've seen from him got into good positions and capped it with a good goal.

Potts 6- Not his best game, some good passing around the area but not everything came off for him

Lowe 7- Played the sitting midfielder role and passed the ball from one side of the pitch to the other.

Evans 7- Had the best of either of their full backs throughout but crosses just couldn't find their men.

Banton 9- Give this guy the ball and more often than not something good will happen, causes chaos to opposition even when double marked, took his goal well.

Hitchcock 7- Couldn't miss his goal and ran around putting pressure on as always, he lost it for a while in the 2nd half and got booked, 1st time I've seen this in his game, hopefully the last.

Osawe, Knowles and Morrissey all came on, not much time for the final 2 but Osawe looked good. What's the story with him Lee? Where's he emerged from?

Good to see a few reserve team players there as well as Olsson and Junior, also a few former reserve players were there.

Also Gary Parkinson is Blackpool's yth team manager, former Boro, Bolton, Dingle and PNE, never shut up whole game and had to be talked to by ref in the end.

Wel done that man!

It must be said to put the game into context that Blackpool had a very weak team, one that was never strong enough to pose any kind of threat to Rovers on the evening.

If Blackpool have anyone there who'll make the grade then i'll be shocked.

The best player for me and i'd like parsonblue to give us his opinion on the lad who looked one of the most comfortable players on the ball was Jason Lowe this is the first time i've ever seen him.

Some really impressive passing of the ball from the lad, looked to play the ball with the outside of his foot made short, long passes,forward, sideways, willing to run with the ball and have a shot, being very mobile, definitely the pick for me.

I agree, his performance tonight was very good and more in keeping with the way in which he performed at Academy level in the past. However, his performances at Reserve level this season haven't been anywhere near that standard and he has struggled to make his mark.

Ramm continues to impress at right-back. He has really made an impression in the Reserves this season considering he is much younger than the rest of the second string. Last night he didn't get forward as much as he does in the Reserves but still looks a good prospect. The fact that he is a regular with the Reserves and seems to have bypassed the Academy, for which he was signed in the summer, suggests the club are fast tracking him.

Jason Banton again caught the eye with his pace down the wing. He has had a good season with the Academy and hopefully will get the opportunity to start one or two reserve games during the remainder of the season.

I thought last night was a comfortable win over a very poor Blackpool side. However, the lads can only beat what is put in front of them and last night they did it with ease despite not being at their best.

Banton went Arsenal-Spurs-Arsenal-Rovers all in about a year and a half I think.

Also in response to ParsonBlue, Ramm hasn't really bypassed thr Academy, he plays for both teams. He's played 10 times for the Academy this year, every game I've been to but one he's played the full game. But as you say it's very good for him to be playign at Reserve team level when he's only 16 and doesn't turn 17 till May. For anyone who doesn't know we signed him from Cambridge during the Summer.

So Banton looks a good one then? Hardly suprising if he was an Arsenal Youth player......

Dont get carried away too soon, second half the lad was up against a very weak defender and for me his end product just wasnt there.

Didnt see him have an end product to his game, his goal, well, he was about ten yards out middle of the goal with all the time in the world, as the young Blackpool defence just froze, static eyes caught in the lights, watching what he did with it.

It was an easy goal that was crafted initially out of nothing by Micah Evans from the other wing.

I agree, his performance tonight was very good and more in keeping with the way in which he performed at Academy level in the past. However, his performances at Reserve level this season haven't been anywhere near that standard and he has struggled to make his mark.

Ramm continues to impress at right-back. He has really made an impression in the Reserves this season considering he is much younger than the rest of the second string. Last night he didn't get forward as much as he does in the Reserves but still looks a good prospect. The fact that he is a regular with the Reserves and seems to have bypassed the Academy, for which he was signed in the summer, suggests the club are fast tracking him.

Jason Banton again caught the eye with his pace down the wing. He has had a good season with the Academy and hopefully will get the opportunity to start one or two reserve games during the remainder of the season.

I thought last night was a comfortable win over a very poor Blackpool side. However, the lads can only beat what is put in front of them and last night they did it with ease despite not being at their best.

Cheers parsonblue, reagarding Lowe, I hope the club begin to put him under pressure by playing him at a higher level in order to see if he sinks or swims.

What did you think of young Micheal Potts? personally, I thought he was doing very well and was a tad unlucky to have been substituted.

Dont get carried away too soon, second half the lad was up against a very weak defender and for me his end product just wasnt there.

Didnt see him have an end product to his game, his goal, well, he was about ten yards out middle of the goal with all the time in the world, as the young Blackpool defence just froze, static eyes caught in the lights, watching what he did with it.

It was an easy goal that was crafted initially out of nothing by Micah Evans from the other wing.

To be fair to Banton he was being double marked last night, something that is happening quite often now. For anyone who doesn't know he plays the left of a front 3 but is right footed (think Ashley Young) but he can put in some good crosses with his left also and skins most defenders for pace every time. His goal was crafted by Evans, but how about his effort that hit the post?

Potts played ok last night but it wasn't his best game this year, he has played better, with taking him, Hitchcock and Evans off it felt like they were being saved for Saturday against Liverpool, who we lost to at home earlier in the season.

To be fair to Banton he was being double marked last night, something that is happening quite often now. For anyone who doesn't know he plays the left of a front 3 but is right footed (think Ashley Young) but he can put in some good crosses with his left also and skins most defenders for pace every time. His goal was crafted by Evans, but how about his effort that hit the post?

Potts played ok last night but it wasn't his best game this year, he has played better, with taking him, Hitchcock and Evans off it felt like they were being saved for Saturday against Liverpool, who we lost to at home earlier in the season.

Thats the first time i've seen these lads, thought the goalie wont do anything.

No of them made me jump out of my seat and think WOW, at the end of the day, these lads, if they are to play in the first team, must have international potential within them as so high is the standard of the first team nowadays.

I quite liked how the midfield three played, the two little lads (Bowen? and Potts) and Lowe, with Lowe sitting deeper and central whilst the other two pushed that little bit further forward Bowen more to the right and Potts more to the left , this in the second half.

This was a weak Blackpool side though, would love to see them play against a stronger team and see how they perform then.

On another note, Louis Almond Blackpools sole centre forward was Blackburn's best young player for his age group.

Scary to think that he was our best player at some point, I reckon the crop we have now are good, hopefully something will come out of a few of them, every time I've seen the academy this year they have lined up as they did last night and it works quite well. The left back last night (Morris) is usually one of the 3 and he is the one who mainly drives forward from midfield.

Academy drew 1-1 this morning away at Liverpool, means we should stay top of the league going in to Winter Break. According to their website they were the better side (but it does always say this on most websites).

Reading the report properly it seems we took the lead on 70 minutes before they equalised on 77. Tom Ince played for them as well, Paul's son.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd encourage all to go down if they can, this lot probably have the most potential than we've had in quite a while. They've lost just 2 games so far this season against some strong oppositions. We are currently top of the league and with over a month off that the lads have had they will hopefully be refreshed and reinvigorated.

Archived