BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 2009/10

den

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting story about the academy and two young lads, one off Oakdale, Louis Almond, and another in Jordan Bowen.

Both were in the academy together at the same time, under 12's. Speaking to one of Louis family members who is a big Rovers fan, he told me how many years ago under Bobby Downes how Rovers saw a big future in young Jordan with money being thrown at the lads family to stave off interest from Man united whilst Downes and co. released young Louis Almond from Rovers.

Today.......Jordan Bowen trawls around the football world looking for work, as hes unemployed, after being realeased by Rovers. Whilst young Louis Almond is employed to play professional football having secured a two year professional contract with Blackpool F.C..

That info that I put further up the page is wrong, Bowen is still with us and just because this Almond lad has signed a pro deal doesn't mean he will make it, guess it's just a thing of wait and see

That info that I put further up the page is wrong, Bowen is still with us and just because this Almond lad has signed a pro deal doesn't mean he will make it, guess it's just a thing of wait and see

Is Bowen still with us?

The Independent had listed him as being released.

I don't understand the point of the story. We sometimes get youth prospects wrong? Sometimes they don't develop as hoped? Some are late bloomers? Every club does that. Youth development is far from an exact science. It's hardly a case of Newcastle having to pay £15m to get Alan Shearer back.

Is Bowen still with us?

The Independent had listed him as being released.

Yeah he is, seen him in training pics somewhere but can't find it now, also I put it on the official boards and Lee said it was wrong.

Any decent strikers in the reserves or youth leagues? We need them By the looks of things.

Julio Santa Cruz of course :mellow: I'd say no one is ready yet to step up from the kids yet

Yeah he is, seen him in training pics somewhere but can't find it now, also I put it on the official boards and Lee said it was wrong.

Julio Santa Cruz of course :mellow: I'd say no one is ready yet to step up from the kids yet

Was the reserve goalkeeper at Preston the Greek lad we bought Initials AA.

No keepers, on the official profiles of the academy U18's either.

I wouldnt have put that up if the Bowen lad was still with us and Yes Louis might not make it.

Any decent strikers in the reserves or youth leagues? We need them By the looks of things.

None in the games i've seen which is an area of big weakness in Rovers system.

Was the reserve goalkeeper at Preston the Greek lad we bought Initials AA.

No keepers, on the official profiles of the academy U18's either.

He's not Greek Arestidou, English ;) but yes he was on our books, not sure how he's ended up at PNE sure he was at Shrewsbury last year.

Also check the U18's squad again, just because he isn't in keeper attire doesn't mean there isn't one, it's Matty Urwin

I wouldnt have put that up if the Bowen lad was still with us and Yes Louis might not make it.

Well he has definitely trained with the Academy this pre-season so you might want to tell him that :lol:

http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/AcademyProfiles/0,,10303~1335292,00.html ;)

He's not Greek Arestidou, English ;) but yes he was on our books, not sure how he's ended up at PNE sure he was at Shrewsbury last year.

Also check the U18's squad again, just because he isn't in keeper attire doesn't mean there isn't one, it's Matty Urwin

"Atestidou, English" just! I imagine, confusing it is, I checked when I saw him on the team sheet, Shrewsbury he was, wonder if they have him on trial.

Urwin, maybe they are undecided on his best position. ;)

"Atestidou, English" just! I imagine, confusing it is, I checked when I saw him on the team sheet, Shrewsbury he was, wonder if they have him on trial.

Urwin, maybe they are undecided on his best position. ;)

Yeah the greek keeper I think you're thinking of came last summer then went again very quickly, don't think he even played.

Urwin is decent from what I've seen to be honest.

His parents are both Greek, but he played for England at some level.

He was at Rovers from the age of about 13 I think.

• 2 weeks later...

If you read down that piece, a bid of £30,000 transfer fee to a player from Queen of the South has been rejected.

My guess is we are probably paying slightly above the PL average for a player of Flynn's age and experience- of course Flynn might have been looking for a pay day.

If you read down that piece, a bid of £30,000 transfer fee to a player from Queen of the South has been rejected.

My guess is we are probably paying slightly above the PL average for a player of Flynn's age and experience- of course Flynn might have been looking for a pay day.

30,000 is big money in the Scottish first division. :P

Whats average these days though?? I've seen 18 year olds driving 30,000+ pound cars at our two local academies? Whatever he's on has to be well over £1000 a week.

Dundee spent serious cash to get back into the SPL last year and with their fans worried about the wage bill I don't see a 1,000 being too much of an issue but if we're paying him 2 or more? Well seriously thats too much.

Rangers 3 Blackburn Rovers 2

Rangers youngsters came back from losing as goal in the opening seconds to grab a late winner against Blackburn Rovers at Murray Park this morning. Losing the ball straight from kick-off it ended when Robbie Cotton’s shot from the edge of the box was deflected past Wayne Drummond to give Blackburn the lead.

Rangers first effort on goal came on 18 minutes but Rhys McCabe’s effort from around 25 yards was an easy save for Matthew Urwin in the Blackburn goal. McCabe then came close just after the half-hour mark, cutting in from the left and shooting just wide.

With ten minutes of the half remaining Adam Hunter fired a free-kick from the edge of the box just wide. A minute later and Rangers were level, a good build up saw the ball sent out wide to Robbie Crawford, his cross was perfect and Kal Naismith headed home for eight yards.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Blackburn Rovers 1

The visitors had a great chance five minutes into the second half, a clearance from keeper Unwin sent Osayamen Osawe down the left, he went past Ewan McNeil and his cutback found Micah Evans who shot wide. Five minutes later Wayne Drummond had to make a good block after John O’Sullivan had played in Osawe.

Rangers then took the lead just after the hour mark, a Robbie Crawford corner from the right saw Kyle McAusland challenge in the air, the ball dropped and Christiano Kisuka met it on the volley to give the keeper no chance. Five minutes later and Kisuka broke down the right, his cross found the head of McAusland, but his header lacked power and substitute goalkeeper Chris Dillow saved comfortably.

With twenty minutes left Blackburn equalised, Robbie Cotton played a corner from the right low and short, substitute Jaiden Hall met it at the near post and to fire past Drummond. Rangers were back on the attack two minutes later and when Max Wright’s cross from the left broke to McAusland, keeper Dillow blocked his shot with his legs.

Willow again saved, this time a Kamil Wiktorski shot from the edge of the box. With six minutes remaining it was Rangers keeper Drummond in action, denying Osawe after a solo run took him past two defenders and clear inside the box.

That save was to prove crucial and Rangers grabbed what was to prove the winner a minute later. Michael Noble played the ball up to the edge of the box and a sublime back-heel from Max Wright set up Robbie Crawford breaking into the box, Dillow got down to block his first effort but was helpless as he calmly stroked home the rebound.

Blackburn had one more chance in the final minute when Osawe was through on the right, Drummond again did well to parry his effort and Naismith was on hand to clear the danger.

Full-Time:- Rangers 3 Blackburn Rovers 2

Blackburn Rovers:- Matthew Urwin (Chris Dillow 61mins); Peter Wylie, Tony O’Connor, Ryan Edwards, Alex Billington; Robbie Cotton, Hugo Fernandez Molnia (Will James 61mins), Andy Parry (Cameron Lindsay 61mins); John O’Sullivan, Osayamen Osawe, Micah Evans (Jaiden Hall 61mins).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived