BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 2009/10

den

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised you weren't considered when they were picking the kick off time. Maybe they could reschedule the game a bit closer to your work? :lol:

Yeah that would be nice - thanks LW.

Its just 7pm is too early - why not a normal kick off like 7.45 or 8pm......they are hardly kids so therefore whats the rush.

ROVERS: Swann, Ramm, Morris, Lowe, Hanley, Pearson, Evans, Bowen, Hitchcock, Potts, Banton.

Subs: Morrissey, Urwin, Knowles, Ajagbe, Osawe.

LEYTON ORIENT: Giddens, Millwood, Nelson, Boakye, Mike, Babbs, Odubajo, Beautyman, Crowther, Argent, Manneh.

Subs: Bygrave, Benjamin, Richardson, O'Hara, Mabuyaku.

Yeah that would be nice - thanks LW.

Its just 7pm is too early - why not a normal kick off like 7.45 or 8pm......they are hardly kids so therefore whats the rush.

Easy for you to say not having children of your own. I think most weeknight matches should kick off at 7 or 7:30 at the latest.

Just got back from the game

We really didn't play well and it showed we hadn't played in a month. First half looked very much off the pace, second half was better but still nowhere near as good as we can play. Can't really be bothered to do a full report I'm sure others will report on it also. Good penalty by Banton after he was took down by the keeper after flicking the ball past him.

I thought our best player was Pearson, very good performance from one of the youngest in the squad tonight, only 16. Thought he looked very assured and positioned himself well and cleared most things with ease.

I do feel that Morris still isn't a left back but get a feeling he will continue to be used there, which is a shame as he looks much more comfortable going forward.

Just got back from the game

We really didn't play well and it showed we hadn't played in a month. First half looked very much off the pace, second half was better but still nowhere near as good as we can play. Can't really be bothered to do a full report I'm sure others will report on it also. Good penalty by Banton after he was took down by the keeper after flicking the ball past him.

I thought our best player was Pearson, very good performance from one of the youngest in the squad tonight, only 16. Thought he looked very assured and positioned himself well and cleared most things with ease.

I do feel that Morris still isn't a left back but get a feeling he will continue to be used there, which is a shame as he looks much more comfortable going forward.

Thought Pearson was poor as were many.

I just got back too, I am going to dissapoint many on here, it was like watching the first team, one up front, no final ball and we couldnt open up an inferior but well organised Orient side.

Plus points for me Jackson Ramm looks as though he has it, Banton looks as though he could com!! The two centre backs did well in the air but I did feel the standard was poor for this level of football and I dont think, Ramm and Banton apart there looks to be much there, though they are still quite young!

Both keepers were quite small and I would be amazed if either of them made it in this modern day game!! We had the smallest player on the park, bet he wasnt even 5 foot and we were bullied quite a bit, but heres my question to you all, I thought the system very much mirrored the first team, given that Sam will be gone before these lads mature, what is the point? These lads were not taught to use their vision and play the game as they see it, one up front, no final ball and inabiltiy to get round the back, sound familier, should we have the young lads playing this way or to develop their natural talent?

I just got back too, I am going to dissapoint many on here, it was like watching the first team, one up front, no final ball and we couldnt open up an inferior but well organised Orient side.

Plus points for me Jackson Ramm looks as though he has it, Banton looks as though he could com!! The two centre backs did well in the air but I did feel the standard was poor for this level of football and I dont think, Ramm and Banton apart there looks to be much there, though they are still quite young!

Both keepers were quite small and I would be amazed if either of them made it in this modern day game!! We had the smallest player on the park, bet he wasnt even 5 foot and we were bullied quite a bit, but heres my question to you all, I thought the system very much mirrored the first team, given that Sam will be gone before these lads mature, what is the point? These lads were not taught to use their vision and play the game as they see it, one up front, no final ball and inabiltiy to get round the back, sound familier, should we have the young lads playing this way or to develop their natural talent?

You can't blame Sam for this system. The Academy have been playing with a lone striker for a couple of seasons now - long before Sam arrived. However, I would totally agree with your assessment. Ramm has looked very good with the Reserves this season and Banton looks promising. Evans, although not at his best tonight, has also had some good moments this season.

From watching a lot of the Academy games this season then I think the 4-5-1 does work for them the majority of the time. It does mean that Hitchcock doesn't get that many chances but he is good in the role and with the number of midfielders we have then it fits in well with that also.

It does seem like some players are being made to play in positions that they aren't quite comfortable with such as Morris at LB who is much better going forward, would love to know the ideas behind this as they do the same with Hall in the league games.

What concerns me is that both Banton and the number 7 did the same thing each time they got the ball, turn and run at the defence, now thats ok most of the time, but they should be coached to vary their game a little, early ball in, short pass and move, go for the by line etc, with the one trick pony effect a good full back will stop that all the time unless they were lightening quick and they didnt seem to have that kind of pace!!

Orient set themselves up with a game plan and but for a decent save from Rovers keeper, could have taken the lead and they would have shut up shop then and made it very difficult.

We should be miles ahead of Orient if we are looking to produce Premiership players and I was most disappointed with some of the lads first touch and pushing the ball too far in front of them.

They will have to be far better than this to compete with Man Utd, I make these points simply because, Wilshire and a few others(Arsenal) and two or three of the Man U lads have played first team football, they must be light years in front of us!!

We did draw against United earlier in the season at home. Do kind of agree that Banton and Evans could do to vary it a bit but there didn't seem to be much support up front last night which was unusual. They are both very quick though, especially Banton in most games now he gets double marked because they know what he can do.

We did draw against United earlier in the season at home. Do kind of agree that Banton and Evans could do to vary it a bit but there didn't seem to be much support up front last night which was unusual. They are both very quick though, especially Banton in most games now he gets double marked because they know what he can do.

Thanks for that, if Banton is getting double marked, then varying his game will help as he has already drawn one player out of position so if he plays a few early ones and short ones, the opposition will have to respond somehow, that could give him the freedom!!

He has some ability though and is a tall lad too, is he any good in the air? didnt see to much of that from his game!!

Evans always had Ramm available for a backward pass, if he had done that and Ramm had played a line ball, if as you say he is pretty quick, it would have played him in, not only that, it would have dragged the Centre back out of position!!

Interesting, I enjoyed watching the lads, is the Man U game home or away?

Disappointed too. Rovers always play the same way down all the teams.....so not happy we were booting the ball.

Touch was poor and at times it was under-11s stuff -pushing the ball ahead of themselves etc. Banton the only

prospect but some of them looked very young.Big teams with multi-national young uns will murder em.

It does seem like some players are being made to play in positions that they aren't quite comfortable with such as Morris at LB who is much better going forward, would love to know the ideas behind this as they do the same with Hall in the league games.

It's something that is part of a youngsters learning curve. It finds any flaws in their game, it also helps find a players best position. Playing young lads out of position has always been part of the overall plan - as far back as I can go anyway.

You know, we can look at systems, managers, coaching methods etc, etc. The bottom line is though, that these kids have to show exceptional technique to stand any chance of making the top grade as a player. If they don't have that they're really not going to make it. All the lads last night are good footballers but that isn't enough. IMO none of them from that team had the extra technique that's needed. It's a point we've discussed on here many times. My opinion is that you can't "make" a player. You can improve them no doubt, but the basics have to be there to start with.

Anyway, I thought Michael Potts did well, so did the lads at the back. I've seen plenty of good central defenders in the youth team over the years, but none of them ever come through. Probably because they can get through at this level, simply because they are physically bigger than most of the other lads. However, when they lose that advantage in later years, they're nowhere near as comfortable. This is a problem that Banton might have. At the moment he's quicker than anyone else, but when the time comes for him to show at a higher level, against older and just as pacy defenders, will he have the technique to go with his pace? I'm not sure about that.

Thanks for that, if Banton is getting double marked, then varying his game will help as he has already drawn one player out of position so if he plays a few early ones and short ones, the opposition will have to respond somehow, that could give him the freedom!!

He has some ability though and is a tall lad too, is he any good in the air? didnt see to much of that from his game!!

Evans always had Ramm available for a backward pass, if he had done that and Ramm had played a line ball, if as you say he is pretty quick, it would have played him in, not only that, it would have dragged the Centre back out of position!!

Interesting, I enjoyed watching the lads, is the Man U game home or away?

Man utd match is at home, date not been announced yet but it should be played probably next week as all ties are meant to be played by the 30th!

Banton hasn't really showed much in the air because he hasn't had to mainly with him playing on the wing most long balls are played to Hitchcock to flick on which he does well. That isn't to say they play the long ball game as most of their success so far has come from playing possession football.

Disappointed too. Rovers always play the same way down all the teams.....so not happy we were booting the ball.

Touch was poor and at times it was under-11s stuff -pushing the ball ahead of themselves etc. Banton the only

prospect but some of them looked very young.Big teams with multi-national young uns will murder em.

I would like to push you in the way of this link with your murder comment: http://www.premierleague.com/page/YouthCTable

It's something that is part of a youngsters learning curve. It finds any flaws in their game, it also helps find a players best position. Playing young lads out of position has always been part of the overall plan - as far back as I can go anyway.

You know, we can look at systems, managers, coaching methods etc, etc. The bottom line is though, that these kids have to show exceptional technique to stand any chance of making the top grade as a player. If they don't have that they're really not going to make it. All the lads last night are good footballers but that isn't enough. IMO none of them from that team had the extra technique that's needed. It's a point we've discussed on here many times. My opinion is that you can't "make" a player. You can improve them no doubt, but the basics have to be there to start with.

Anyway, I thought Michael Potts did well, so did the lads at the back. I've seen plenty of good central defenders in the youth team over the years, but none of them ever come through. Probably because they can get through at this level, simply because they are physically bigger than most of the other lads. However, when they lose that advantage in later years, they're nowhere near as comfortable. This is a problem that Banton might have. At the moment he's quicker than anyone else, but when the time comes for him to show at a higher level, against older and just as pacy defenders, will he have the technique to go with his pace? I'm not sure about that.

But surely it would be beneficial to play players in their natural position to help them progress as opposed to shoeing them into other positions, it can't make the players happy for one (Trust me ;)

In my opinion I was disappointed with Potts last night, no where near as good as he can be, I thought passing and touch and positioning at times last night wasn't great, had a better second half than 1st though. He is a much better player than what he showed last night. I think they have high hopes for Ramm showing from him playing for the reserves even though he's still only 16 I think.

I think Banton can adapt his game to how the match is going and with pace that he has and the quick burst of acceleration he can become good, reminds me of Ashley Young a bit, in right footer on the left wing role. He could just do with getting better balls in more often but then look at Gamst!

If anyone wants to watch them again get down to Brockhall this Saturday morning, we play Bolton!

Thought Cestor Mike the Orient centre half with the white boots, was every bit as good, if not better than any of our lads.

Cant see what one or two on here see in Jackson Ramm. The little, extremely ordinary, right back, with poor distribution, never a premiership player in a million years, in fact non of our lads look capable of stepping up to the premiership. Sad.

Did Hitchcock play for England ? if he did it must have been soley down to his dads influence. Look forward to seeing him play at amatuer level in a few years time.

People need to remember Ramm is 16 he's got 5 years probably till he will be expected to be in the first team consistently.

Hitchcock has played for England at youth level and to say it was because of his dad is ludicrous. I believe he prefers to play with a strike partner but he does the job of sole striker very well, always running and wins a lot of headers for a lad his size. I'm not going to say he will make it but to write off a 17 year old is a bit harsh in my opinion. I'm obviously not the only one seeing as he was given a pro contract here until 2012 earlier in the season.

People need to remember Ramm is 16 he's got 5 years probably till he will be expected to be in the first team consistently.

Hitchcock has played for England at youth level and to say it was because of his dad is ludicrous. I believe he prefers to play with a strike partner but he does the job of sole striker very well, always running and wins a lot of headers for a lad his size. I'm not going to say he will make it but to write off a 17 year old is a bit harsh in my opinion. I'm obviously not the only one seeing as he was given a pro contract here until 2012 earlier in the season.

Didnt know he was only 16, hopefully theres time for him to develop further not too impressed at the moment though.

Hitchcock smacks of nepotism big time hes not that good hollowsr.FOR THIS LAD TO HAVE PLAYED INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL SHOWS UP HOW POOR THE PROFESSIONAL JUDGMENT IS IN THIS COUNTRY.

The one young Rover who seemed to have something about him for me was, subbed first, Micah Evans. Whats your opinion on this lad hollowsr.

Archived