BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Racist Chanting By "Rovers Supporters"

Personally I'm getting sick of the retards who think it is entertaining to use racist 'humour' in their chants as in the one about Owen Coyle. They had even added 'BNP' into them at Wigan yesterday.

When I turned round I saw that the bulk of the chanters had yet to start shaving. Time they grew up and used their brains. They certainly haven't studied the english language as their vocabulary is limited to a minute number of words of a foul nature. When they aren't being racist they are hurling expletives at Rovers players and they call themselves supporters?

If Rovers are to survive and thrive the crowd needs to include some of the Asian population. Alternatively we can languish in League 2 with small, all white crowds drawn from the 'white trash' class.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'm getting sick of the retards who think it is entertaining to use racist 'humour' in their chants as in the one about Owen Coyle. They had even added 'BNP' into them at Wigan yesterday.

When I turned round I saw that the bulk of the chanters had yet to start shaving. Time they grew up and used their brains. They certainly haven't studied the english language as their vocabulary is limited to a minute number of words of a foul nature. When they aren't being racist they are hurling expletives at Rovers players and they call themselves supporters?

If Rovers are to survive and thrive the crowd needs to include some of the Asian population. Alternatively we can languish in League 2 with small, all white crowds drawn from the 'white trash' class.

it seems the club are sending some of our stewards to away games with us and reporting anyone for such chants, with a lifetime ban for their efforts. not to mention a night in the cells. the only problem is they are targeting the wrong people and using them to make a example even though they are innocent.

on the other hand if you hear people singing such songs you could always tell a stewrd and they will inform the control room to keep a eye on them and again give them a lifetime ban

from the 'white trash' class.

It's interesting how the term "white trash" is deemed to be acceptable these days in our liberal happy-clappy society.

I don't watch Big Brother, but I gather from reading the reports a couple of years ago that when the late Jade Goody referred to the Asian actress Shilpa Shetty as "Shilpa Poppadom" there was a hysterical outcry in the liberal media and yet on the same programme when Jermaine Jackson referred to certain housemates as "white trash", people barely blinked an eyelid at the terminology used by Jackson.

A case of double standards if you ask me. If white people are on the receiving end of insults - "white honky" or "white trash" nobody seems to care. But people get hysterical and outraged at the word "Poppadom" if it's used about an Asian person.

With regard to the "racist chanting" at recent Rovers games, I suspect that if I were to take my elderly grandfather, now in his late 80s, to football matches, that he'd be more offended by the four-letter 'C' word used in the chant rather than the word 'Paki'. My grandfather's mobility isn't good now after a hip operation and so he doesn't travel to games at the moment. He comes from a previous generation where the four-letter 'C' word is regarded as offensive and it shouldn't be used in public where children and elderly people are present.

I hear that it could be interesting at Brum tonight: "clunk, click, in the nick, and a potential footy banning order to boot".

surely 'citizen's arrest' comes to mind?

Should there have been a citizen's arrest of Prince Harry when he referred to one of his fellow soldiers as a "Paki"? Should Prince Harry have been banged up in a police cell for what he said?

I don't watch the programme "Strictly Come Dancing", but I gather that one of the dancers on the show, Anton Du Beke, was caught on video saying the word "Paki". Should there have been a citizen's arrest of Mr Du Beke? Should he have been banged up in a police cell too?

When I was at secondary school I think I was one of the few people in my class who referred to Mr Patel's local sweet shop as "The Newsagents". Most of my classmates referred to it - without any particular malice - as "the Paki shop". Should all the pupils in my school who said the words "Paki shop" have been arrested and locked up? Did I do the wrong thing by not making a citizen's arrest of all the kids in my class who said the word "Paki"?

I regard the chant from Man United fans about Arsene Wenger being a paedophile (he is not a paedophile) as being an unpleasant and offensive chant. Should there be a citizen's arrest of the tens of thousands of people at Old Trafford who chant that Wenger is a paedophile?

About half the crowd at Old Trafford seem to get involved in that offensive chant, so that would be about 38,000 Man United fans at each match who would need to be arrested. Or is the word "Paki" far more offensive than wrongly chanting that somebody is a child abuser? Not only has that offensive song about Arsene Wenger been chanted at Old Trafford for years, it's also part of a collection of Manchester United chants selling on Amazon.com and Play.com.

Personally I'd like to see people refrain from making offensive chants about the Hillsborough and Munich tragedies, offensive chants from Arsenal supporters about Spurs fans and Jewish people dying in gas chambers and those from Man United fans chanting offensively about Arsene Wenger.

As a Blackburn Rovers fan I don't like the four-letter 'C' word in the chant about Owen Coyle. But I don't get as hysterical as some people do about the word "Paki", when it was a fairly commonly used word when I was a kid at school and indeed it's recently been used by a member of the Royal Family. People are different and what offends some people doesn't offend others.

Graeme Le Saux regularly had to put up with some unpleasant abuse from fans all over the country. To the tune of the Village People's "Go West", thousands of fans sang "Le Saux takes it up the a____"

Some players may have been able to brush that off as being harmless. Graeme said he was upset and offended by it. According to Le Saux's autobiography, he was also upset that he had to put up with abuse from a number of footballers on the pitch. Indeed two former Rovers players and one former Rovers manager were three of the biggest culprits on the pitch, according to Le Saux. (Robbie Fowler, Robbie Savage and Paul Ince.)

It was a surprise to me reading Le Saux's book that David Beckham was another one of the players abusing Le Saux and calling him a poof. That's Mr Beckham, who has made a huge amount of money by posing semi-naked in men's magazines and who has previously said that he likes being a "gay icon", a man in touch with his feminine side who previously enjoyed wearing a sarong and painting his fingernails bright pink.

Le Saux said he was shocked and upset when Beckham called him a poof. Should we arrest Beckham too for his 'offensive' word or is it only if people are offended by the word "Paki" rather than the word "Poof"? Who is it who decides if something is so offensive that they need to be arrested? Is it just after a "racist" word or can we also include offensive chants about people being paedophiles?

Personally I think we shouldn't get all hysterical and po-faced solely about the word "Paki" when there are numerous other chants and songs which certain other people might find offensive.

But in our liberal happy-clappy society there seems to be double standards. Nobody seems to bat an eyelid at "white trash" or "white honky", whereas the word "paki" is deemed by some people to be outrageous.

If people are outraged by the Owen Coyle chant perhaps they could write to Buckingham Palace, The Mall, London, SW1A 1AA.

And if they feel Blackburn Rovers fans need to be arrested, can they also ask for Prince Harry to be arrested too.

• Backroom

You can hide behind double standards all you like, it doesn't make the chant any more bearable or less offensive.

I'm hoping the club are on to this and mass bannings are due, we could do with purging some of the scum from our following.

Personally I think we shouldn't get all hysterical and po-faced solely about the word "Paki" when there are numerous other chants and songs which certain other people might find offensive.

But in our liberal happy-clappy society there seems to be double standards. Nobody seems to bat an eyelid at "white trash" or "white honky", whereas the word "paki" is deemed by some people to be outrageous.

AESF your argument is a real cracker

Paki, a word that nearly every asian person i have met finds as offensive and completely out of place can be equated to phrases such as white trash and white honkey, phrases that i and literally everyone i have met dont care about

Some people on this board just dont seem to engage their brains. the word Paki is extremely offensive to the Asian community, regardless of what you, someone who has never been called a Paki says. 'Paki isnt offensive to me, and my grandad who comes from a time when racism was accepted doesnt find it offensive either; therefore howcome 21st century asians find it offensive?'

Exactly and you forgot to mention 'Ginger minger'! How upsetting is that to some of us who constitute part of the smallest human minority? At least mutants like us can join the X Men!

http://www.brighthub.com/science/genetics/articles/4704.aspx

But should I care if people take the ###### and make snidey jokes or use the colour of my complexion in an attempt to hurt or insult? Do I hell. Not a bit and thats why I simply cannot understand any insult being caused by the single word Paki. It's simply an abbreviation for the name of a commonwealth country or for a person from that country it's ONLY ACCOMPANYING UNPLEASANT ADJECTIVES AND/OR CONTEXT THAT CAN CAUSE ANY INSULT.

In the juvenile and ignorant song under discussion sung in the main by chavvy kids who won't even know what a shag is much less spell it correctly it's intention is to insult therefore it is offensive to a degree whereas 'paki shop' definitely isn't. People need to engage their brains before putting their keyboards in gear. Rem ANY ATTEMPTS to outlaw the use of the word Paki will simply result in an opposite reaction from the white ferral trash from the Blackburn slums. They will simply sing it all the more. As aesf says the worst bit is the 'c' word but then I suppose MOST young teens think it's funny to sing songs that contain swear words. Like smoking, farting loudly getting drunk and chucking up it's an English teen thing thats gone on for generations.

AESF your argument is a real cracker

Paki, a word that nearly every asian person i have met finds as offensive and completely out of place can be equated to phrases such as white trash and white honkey, phrases that i and literally everyone i have met dont care about

Some people on this board just dont seem to engage their brains. the word Paki is extremely offensive to the Asian community, regardless of what you, someone who has never been called a Paki says. 'Paki isnt offensive to me, and my grandad who comes from a time when racism was accepted doesnt find it offensive either; therefore howcome 21st century asians find it offensive?'

How many asians do you know shabani? 2.5 billion chinese and Indians and a smattering of Japanese, Mongolians etc will hardly care a jot about it.

Exactly and you forgot to mention 'Ginger minger'! How upsetting is that to some of us who constitute part of the smallest human minority? At least mutants like us can join the X Men!

http://www.brighthub.com/science/genetics/articles/4704.aspx

But should I care if people take the ###### and make snidey jokes or use the colour of my complexion in an attempt to hurt or insult? Do I hell. Not a bit and thats why I simply cannot understand any insult being caused by the single word Paki. It's simply an abbreviation for the name of a commonwealth country or for a person from that country it's ONLY ACCOMPANYING UNPLEASANT ADJECTIVES AND/OR CONTEXT THAT CAN CAUSE ANY INSULT.

In the juvenile and ignorant song under discussion sung in the main by chavvy kids who won't even know what a shag is much less spell it correctly it's intention is to insult therefore it is offensive to a degree whereas 'paki shop' definitely isn't. People need to engage their brains before putting their keyboards in gear. Rem ANY ATTEMPTS to outlaw the use of the word Paki will simply result in an opposite reaction from the white ferral trash from the Blackburn slums. They will simply sing it all the more. As aesf says the worst bit is the 'c' word but then I suppose MOST young teens think it's funny to sing songs that contain swear words. Like smoking, farting loudly getting drunk and chucking up it's an English teen thing thats gone on for generations.

The context is unpleasant thus making it offensive.

AESF- The "N" word was used commonly in the 1960's surely that means that we can use it today? We do live in a PC dominated world but as a "Pakistani" myself the word IS offensive when used in the above bold section and I for one cannot recall it being used in a positive sense (but I am 29 years old so cannot recall the old 'Paki' shop round the corner comments, which I see as inoffensive)

I think you're completely missing the point Shabani. The whole point is why it should be the case that 'literally everyone' you have met doesn't care about the phrase "white honkey".

Tell you what, pal, don't ever call me this as long as you hold dear such (hypocrytical) sensibilities.

The context is unpleasant thus making it offensive. I SAID THAT IN THE NEXT SENTENCE IMY.

AESF- The "N" word was used commonly in the 1960's surely that means that we can use it today? We do live in a PC dominated world but as a "Pakistani" myself the word IS offensive when used in the above bold section and I for one cannot recall it being used in a positive sense (but I am 29 years old so cannot recall the old 'Paki' shop round the corner comments, which I see as inoffensive)

RECALL? EVERYBODY I KNOW STILL REFERS TO THEM AS THAT. SAME WITH TAXI'S ETC. NO OFFENSE INTENDED IT'S JUST AN EASY AND CONVENIENT REFERENCE.

I agreed with your statement Gord, probably could have worded it better.

We all have different experiences, but in mine I have not heard the word said in a pleasant context.

The problem that we are seeing now imy (and this is from your point of view too) is that even the word 'pakistani' is now being used in lowered tones by people who are afraid of being overheard and unsure of possible reactions! People unsure and afraid to use even the full name of your homeland..... Is that what you really want? Your homeland to be wiped out of the English language? I don't believe so but that is the road that the PC are taking us down.

Personally if somebody wants to describe me as British or Brit I couldn't care less..... and don't forget many other nationalities have plenty of insulting adjectives to add to that too. British is hardly the most popular nationality on the surface of the planet is it?

It's interesting how the term "white trash" is deemed to be acceptable these days in our liberal happy-clappy society.

I don't watch Big Brother, but I gather from reading the reports a couple of years ago that when the late Jade Goody referred to the Asian actress Shilpa Shetty as "Shilpa Poppadom" there was a hysterical outcry in the liberal media and yet on the same programme when Jermaine Jackson referred to certain housemates as "white trash", people barely blinked an eyelid at the terminology used by Jackson.

A case of double standards if you ask me. If white people are on the receiving end of insults - "white honky" or "white trash" nobody seems to care. But people get hysterical and outraged at the word "Poppadom" if it's used about an Asian person.

With regard to the "racist chanting" at recent Rovers games, I suspect that if I were to take my elderly grandfather, now in his late 80s, to football matches, that he'd be more offended by the four-letter 'C' word used in the chant rather than the word 'Paki'. My grandfather's mobility isn't good now after a hip operation and so he doesn't travel to games at the moment. He comes from a previous generation where the four-letter 'C' word is regarded as offensive and it shouldn't be used in public where children and elderly people are present.

Should there have been a citizen's arrest of Prince Harry when he referred to one of his fellow soldiers as a "Paki"? Should Prince Harry have been banged up in a police cell for what he said?

I don't watch the programme "Strictly Come Dancing", but I gather that one of the dancers on the show, Anton Du Beke, was caught on video saying the word "Paki". Should there have been a citizen's arrest of Mr Du Beke? Should he have been banged up in a police cell too?

When I was at secondary school I think I was one of the few people in my class who referred to Mr Patel's local sweet shop as "The Newsagents". Most of my classmates referred to it - without any particular malice - as "the Paki shop". Should all the pupils in my school who said the words "Paki shop" have been arrested and locked up? Did I do the wrong thing by not making a citizen's arrest of all the kids in my class who said the word "Paki"?

I regard the chant from Man United fans about Arsene Wenger being a paedophile (he is not a paedophile) as being an unpleasant and offensive chant. Should there be a citizen's arrest of the tens of thousands of people at Old Trafford who chant that Wenger is a paedophile?

About half the crowd at Old Trafford seem to get involved in that offensive chant, so that would be about 38,000 Man United fans at each match who would need to be arrested. Or is the word "Paki" far more offensive than wrongly chanting that somebody is a child abuser? Not only has that offensive song about Arsene Wenger been chanted at Old Trafford for years, it's also part of a collection of Manchester United chants selling on Amazon.com and Play.com.

Personally I'd like to see people refrain from making offensive chants about the Hillsborough and Munich tragedies, offensive chants from Arsenal supporters about Spurs fans and Jewish people dying in gas chambers and those from Man United fans chanting offensively about Arsene Wenger.

As a Blackburn Rovers fan I don't like the four-letter 'C' word in the chant about Owen Coyle. But I don't get as hysterical as some people do about the word "Paki", when it was a fairly commonly used word when I was a kid at school and indeed it's recently been used by a member of the Royal Family. People are different and what offends some people doesn't offend others.

Graeme Le Saux regularly had to put up with some unpleasant abuse from fans all over the country. To the tune of the Village People's "Go West", thousands of fans sang "Le Saux takes it up the a____"

Some players may have been able to brush that off as being harmless. Graeme said he was upset and offended by it. According to Le Saux's autobiography, he was also upset that he had to put up with abuse from a number of footballers on the pitch. Indeed two former Rovers players and one former Rovers manager were three of the biggest culprits on the pitch, according to Le Saux. (Robbie Fowler, Robbie Savage and Paul Ince.)

It was a surprise to me reading Le Saux's book that David Beckham was another one of the players abusing Le Saux and calling him a poof. That's Mr Beckham, who has made a huge amount of money by posing semi-naked in men's magazines and who has previously said that he likes being a "gay icon", a man in touch with his feminine side who previously enjoyed wearing a sarong and painting his fingernails bright pink.

Le Saux said he was shocked and upset when Beckham called him a poof. Should we arrest Beckham too for his 'offensive' word or is it only if people are offended by the word "Paki" rather than the word "Poof"? Who is it who decides if something is so offensive that they need to be arrested? Is it just after a "racist" word or can we also include offensive chants about people being paedophiles?

If people are outraged by the Owen Coyle chant perhaps they could write to Buckingham Palace, The Mall, London, SW1A 1AA.

And if they feel Blackburn Rovers fans need to be arrested, can they also ask for Prince Harry to be arrested too.

How different would this post have been if Owen Coyle sha***d "white trash" was in the chant?

Being an Asian myself, I hate it when this term is used towards me and especially in football chants. I was in the Wigan concourse before the game when I first heard the chant and looked over to the bunch of people chanting. Later on, I saw one of the lads in the queue at half time, and told him that the chant was inappropriate and would be less offensive to people if you changed the word "Paki" to "Inbred". His reply was "it's up to me mates init". :mellow:

How different would this post have been if Owen Coyle sha***d "white trash" was in the chant?

Being an Asian myself, I hate it when this term is used towards me and especially in football chants. I was in the Wigan concourse before the game when I first heard the chant and looked over to the bunch of people chanting. Later on, I saw one of the lads in the queue at half time, and told him that the chant was inappropriate and would be less offensive to people if you changed the word "Paki" to "Inbred". His reply was "it's up to me mates init". :mellow:

This last bit is bang on. 'Inbred' would be less offensive and would actually make the chant 'make sense' (due to what we call the Burnley Bar Stewards)

It does seem odd that everyone who's at the game should be united by one thing - Rovers - how can you feel any sort of common ground when that's being sung. They're insulting some of the people in our crowd.

It's cringe-makingly embarrassing. Definitely a mob mentality to it. Get the ring-leaders out and it'll go.

Alternatively blue n white to render the song totally PC so that no one can possibly be offended all they need to do is change the term to 'asian' I suppose? :rolleyes:

See how stupid and multi faceted the entire issue is? Better to chill and follow a policy of sticks and stones imo.

Being an Asian myself, I hate it when this term is used towards me and especially in football chants.

Well according to some people on here you should be no more offended than if you were called a Brit.

But the truth is very simple and people on here are well aware of it, even those who like to write a tabloid style essay on everything (although strangely lacking the usual large font "headline" this time). It is the context of the word and its use, and not the word itself, that is everything.

Surely we should be welcoming everyone who supports Rovers with open arms- even ginger mingers.

Probably.. But calling people "ginger-mingers" is probably as bad as calling someone a "Paki."

You are a very naughty boy.

The difference between calling someone a Brit, and I'd rather be called English or British, and another a Paki is the Brit is unlikely to have been subjected to any form of racism while the Paki is quite likely to have experienced racism in some form and all that goes with it.

Quote thenodrog: "RECALL? EVERYBODY I KNOW STILL REFERS TO THEM AS THAT. SAME WITH TAXI'S ETC. NO OFFENSE INTENDED IT'S JUST AN EASY AND CONVENIENT REFERENCE."

That's hardly a surprise.

The difference between calling someone a Brit, and I'd rather be called English or British, and another a Paki is the Brit is unlikely to have been subjected to any form of racism while the Paki is quite likely to have experienced racism in some form and all that goes with it.

Quote thenodrog: "RECALL? EVERYBODY I KNOW STILL REFERS TO THEM AS THAT. SAME WITH TAXI'S ETC. NO OFFENSE INTENDED IT'S JUST AN EASY AND CONVENIENT REFERENCE."

That's hardly a surprise.

Hardly a suprise..... meaning?

btw Paul just to prove it cuts both ways how about this? http://www.politicalislam.com/blog/kafir/

Just cos you haven't heard about it and other derogatory terms doesn't mean that they doesn't exist. How do you feel about "Owen Coyle shags kafirs"? Is that better for you? So c'mon... Do you believe in Allah or not?

Archived