BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers V Tottenham Hotspur

There's a good chance i will be away from Thursday to Saturday morning so i thought it would be best to get my preview posted just in case i don't make it in time.

Anyway, onto the preview:

Blackburn Rovers vs Tottenham Hotspur - Saturday, 19 December 2009 - Ewood Park

Tottenham Hotspur travel to Ewood Park for the 104th meeting between the two sides and both teams will view this as a key game for different reasons. Spurs have faltered recently in their push to break into the top four and earn the place in next seasons Champions league. Rovers meanwhile are around the mid-table positions and will want to increase the gap between themselves and the bottom sides.

Recent Meetings between the two sides:

headtoheadtable.jpg

As you can see over the last five seasons league meetings between the two sides have been very close. Our home record in particular has been very decent (one loss in 5 seasons) against a Spurs side that has tended to struggle in recent times on its travels to the North West.

Some memories, key moments and talking points from some of those games:

4th April 2009- Rovers win 2-1

Rovers got off to a good start in the game, but Spurs took the lead with a Robbie Keane penalty (controversially it didn’t look like it was on the spot when he took it). At Half-time Sam makes a genius of a substitution, Roberts off Ooijer on and Samba is pushed up front. Samba causes havoc and sets up Benni for the equaliser, Palacios then gets sent off for two yellows cards in the space of two minutes. Rovers continue to batter Spurs, they get a corner which Spurs fail to clear and Ooijer puts it in the net for the win.

28th October 2007- Rovers win 2-1

Spurs take the lead with a Robbie Keane penalty in the second half, but Benni equalises 10 minutes later. Big Chris celebrates a new contract and a man of the match performance with a screamer of a goal to get the win for Rovers in extra time.

5th March 2006- Spurs win 3-2

I’m sure a lot of fans remember this game, the game where we were robbed of 3 points. Rovers were the better team but Spurs got two controversial goals against the run of play. Rovers managed to get back into the game with goals from Pongolle and Bellamy. Gray hits the bar in the 90th minute with a looping header but it wasn’t enough as Spurs held on for the controversial win.

Current Form:

Tottenham currently stand in 5th place and are just two points behind Aston Villa who are in 4th place. Rovers are currently in 12th place; just 5 points above the relegation positions, but at the same time are just 5 points off Liverpool who are 7th.

Rovers last 6 results:

Win against Pompey (Home)

Win against Bolton (Away)

Loss to Fulham (Away)

Draw against stoke (Home)

Draw against Liverpool (Home)

Draw against Hull (Away)

Rovers stats so far this season:

Rovers have played 16 games so far this season and there is a huge contrast between our Home and Away records.

Home:

Played- 8

Won- 4

Drawn- 3

Lost- 1

For- 11

Against- 7

Average goals scored - 1.4 goals.

Average conceded- 0.9 goals.

Away:

Played- 8

Won- 1

Drawn- 1

Lost- 6

For- 5

Against- 21

Average goals scored- 0.6 goals

Average conceded- 2.6 goals

Our leading goalscorer is Dunny with 5 goals and Roberts is our leading striker with 3 goals. Our defence and midfield have chipped in with the odd goal as well.

Spurs last 6 results:

Loss to Arsenal (Away)

Win against Sunderland (Home)

Win against Wigan (Home)

Draw against Villa (Away)

Draw against Everton (Away)

Loss to Wolves (Home)

Spurs stats so far this season:

Spurs have played 16 games this season, and like Rovers their home form is better than their away form.

Home:

Played- 8

Won- 5

Drawn- 2

Lost- 3

For- 21

Against- 8

Average goals scored- 2.6 goals

Average goals conceded – 1 goal.

Away:

Played- 8

Won- 3

Drawn- 3

Lost – 2

For- 14

Against- 14

Average goals scored- 1.8 goals

Average goals conceded – 1.8 goals.

Defoe is their leading goalscorer with 12 league goals, Keane has 6, Crouch 2 and Lennon has 3. Like Rovers their defenders and midfielders have chipped in with the odd goal.

Key Matchups:

(This preview was made a few days before the game so there is a chance that some of these players may or may not feature when it comes to match day).

matchupl.jpg

Samba v Defoe:

Samba has played a huge part in recent games against Spurs as an attacking threat and will be needed again to test that Spurs backline. At the same time Samba will also have to deal with the in form Defoe, Defoe currently is second in the goal scoring charts and made headlines with his 5 goals against Wigan recently. It will be an interesting battle to see who comes out on top.

N’Zonzi v Palacios:

The young Frenchman has been a revelation since joining from Amiens and there is a feeling amongst a large proportion of fans that he is going to be something special. It will be a big test for N’zonzi against Palacios and a real physical battle.

Givet v Lennon:

The man with the dodgy eyebrows has been in very decent form this season, it looks like his crossing has seen a big improvement though still at times it can be inconsistent. Givet is in for a tough time against the pace of Lennon, he will need some protection from whoever is in front of him if we are to nullify Lennon’s threat.

Prediction:

Looking at the records of both teams so far this season it looks like both sides have been struggling on their travels. Rovers have a truly awful away record, but at home with just one defeat, Ewood Park has been a real fortress this season. Spurs have been decent at home but haven’t managed to replicate their form when facing sides away.

Rovers in recent games have started to look really solid at the back but there are concerns about the number of goals we are scoring, especially by our forwards. Spurs recently have struggled to keep up the form they exhibited at the beginning of the season, two draws and a loss in their last three games has shown that their form has dipped.

Considering our home record, clean sheets, recent results between the two sides as well as Spurs’s away form and stats, I am going for a 1-0 Rovers win and Samba with the goal.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great preview. Im looking forward to this game, as my friend is somewhat of an idiotic Spurs fan. Im hoping we beat Brum tonight, so that we dont go into the Spurs game with any sort of pressure. I think if we beat Brum, we will be very confident of another good result. They a very soft team, and physically we should batter them. However, the pace in their team is scary. Im hoping we bring Jacobson in at right back, and move Chimbo to the left. I think Givet might be left behind against Lennon. Im confident, so 2-0 Rovers

I cant wait.....Works Christmas do on friday night at 5pm & Work with a Spurs fan........out all night in Bolton, then over to Blackburn, carry on driinking all night (is FJ's still 24hr?), onto the pubs as soon as they open near the ground and hopefully make it to the game still alive.........VERY DRUNK & 1-0 Rovers

I cant wait.....Works Christmas do on friday night at 5pm & Work with a Spurs fan........out all night in Bolton, then over to Blackburn, carry on driinking all night (is FJ's still 24hr?), onto the pubs as soon as they open near the ground and hopefully make it to the game still alive.........VERY DRUNK & 1-0 Rovers

:tu:

There's a good chance i will be away from Thursday to Saturday morning so i thought it would be best to get my preview posted just in case i don't make it in time.

Anyway, onto the preview:

Blackburn Rovers vs Tottenham Hotspur - Saturday, 19 December 2009 - Ewood Park

Tottenham Hotspur travel to Ewood Park for the 104th meeting between the two sides and both teams will view this as a key game for different reasons. Spurs have faltered recently in their push to break into the top four and earn the place in next seasons Champions league. Rovers meanwhile are around the mid-table positions and will want to increase the gap between themselves and the bottom sides.

Recent Meetings between the two sides:

headtoheadtable.jpg

As you can see over the last five seasons league meetings between the two sides have been very close. Our home record in particular has been very decent (one loss in 5 seasons) against a Spurs side that has tended to struggle in recent times on its travels to the North West.

Some memories, key moments and talking points from some of those games:

4th April 2009- Rovers win 2-1

Rovers got off to a good start in the game, but Spurs took the lead with a Robbie Keane penalty (controversially it didn’t look like it was on the spot when he took it). At Half-time Sam makes a genius of a substitution, Roberts off Ooijer on and Samba is pushed up front. Samba causes havoc and sets up Benni for the equaliser, Palacios then gets sent off for two yellows cards in the space of two minutes. Rovers continue to batter Spurs, they get a corner which Spurs fail to clear and Ooijer puts it in the net for the win.

28th October 2007- Rovers win 2-1

Spurs take the lead with a Robbie Keane penalty in the second half, but Benni equalises 10 minutes later. Big Chris celebrates a new contract and a man of the match performance with a screamer of a goal to get the win for Rovers in extra time.

5th March 2006- Spurs win 3-2

I’m sure a lot of fans remember this game, the game where we were robbed of 3 points. Rovers were the better team but Spurs got two controversial goals against the run of play. Rovers managed to get back into the game with goals from Pongolle and Bellamy. Gray hits the bar in the 90th minute with a looping header but it wasn’t enough as Spurs held on for the controversial win.

Current Form:

Tottenham currently stand in 5th place and are just two points behind Aston Villa who are in 4th place. Rovers are currently in 12th place; just 5 points above the relegation positions, but at the same time are just 5 points off Liverpool who are 7th.

Rovers last 6 results:

Win against Pompey (Home)

Win against Bolton (Away)

Loss to Fulham (Away)

Draw against stoke (Home)

Draw against Liverpool (Home)

Draw against Hull (Away)

Rovers stats so far this season:

Rovers have played 16 games so far this season and there is a huge contrast between our Home and Away records.

Home:

Played- 8

Won- 4

Drawn- 3

Lost- 1

For- 11

Against- 7

Average goals scored - 1.4 goals.

Average conceded- 0.9 goals.

Away:

Played- 8

Won- 1

Drawn- 1

Lost- 6

For- 5

Against- 21

Average goals scored- 0.6 goals

Average conceded- 2.6 goals

Our leading goalscorer is Dunny with 5 goals and Roberts is our leading striker with 3 goals. Our defence and midfield have chipped in with the odd goal as well.

Spurs last 6 results:

Loss to Arsenal (Away)

Win against Sunderland (Home)

Win against Wigan (Home)

Draw against Villa (Away)

Draw against Everton (Away)

Loss to Wolves (Home)

Spurs stats so far this season:

Spurs have played 16 games this season, and like Rovers their home form is better than their away form.

Home:

Played- 8

Won- 5

Drawn- 2

Lost- 3

For- 21

Against- 8

Average goals scored- 2.6 goals

Average goals conceded – 1 goal.

Away:

Played- 8

Won- 3

Drawn- 3

Lost – 2

For- 14

Against- 14

Average goals scored- 1.8 goals

Average goals conceded – 1.8 goals.

Defoe is their leading goalscorer with 12 league goals, Keane has 6, Crouch 2 and Lennon has 3. Like Rovers their defenders and midfielders have chipped in with the odd goal.

Key Matchups:

(This preview was made a few days before the game so there is a chance that some of these players may or may not feature when it comes to match day).

matchupl.jpg

Samba v Defoe:

Samba has played a huge part in recent games against Spurs as an attacking threat and will be needed again to test that Spurs backline. At the same time Samba will also have to deal with the in form Defoe, Defoe currently is second in the goal scoring charts and made headlines with his 5 goals against Wigan recently. It will be an interesting battle to see who comes out on top.

N’Zonzi v Palacios:

The young Frenchman has been a revelation since joining from Amiens and there is a feeling amongst a large proportion of fans that he is going to be something special. It will be a big test for N’zonzi against Palacios and a real physical battle.

Givet v Lennon:

The man with the dodgy eyebrows has been in very decent form this season, it looks like his crossing has seen a big improvement though still at times it can be inconsistent. Givet is in for a tough time against the pace of Lennon, he will need some protection from whoever is in front of him if we are to nullify Lennon’s threat.

Prediction:

Looking at the records of both teams so far this season it looks like both sides have been struggling on their travels. Rovers have a truly awful away record, but at home with just one defeat, Ewood Park has been a real fortress this season. Spurs have been decent at home but haven’t managed to replicate their form when facing sides away.

Rovers in recent games have started to look really solid at the back but there are concerns about the number of goals we are scoring, especially by our forwards. Spurs recently have struggled to keep up the form they exhibited at the beginning of the season, two draws and a loss in their last three games has shown that their form has dipped.

Considering our home record, clean sheets, recent results between the two sides as well as Spurs’s away form and stats, I am going for a 1-0 Rovers win and Samba with the goal.

Good preview. Looking forward to this. My wife and I are coming up to blackburn for Christmas (12 days) and hope to be going to the Spurs / wigan away and the Sunderland home game.

• Backroom

If Rovers are anything like we were tonight then we are in for a pounding, Birmingham were decent but spurs are better, 3-0 I think.

Again I hope to be massively wrong but if Defoe and Lennon are on form we just simply can't cope with players like that.

• Backroom

Robbo

Jacobsen-Givet-Samba-Chimbonda

Emerton-N'Zonzi-Hoilett

Benni Mac

Di Santo-Kalinic

I'd start with this and hope for the best. I think overall this is probably our strongest currently available line-up (though if Emo's injury is serious I guess we have no choice but to put Diouf there). Whilst the Admiral did score tonight, he was undone a number of times by the pace of Birmingham's players. Givet isn't much faster but I still think he's a better option. When fit, Dunn would replace Benni Mac, and Grella may replace N'Zonzi depending on the youngster's form. Roberts could come on in the last twenty minutes when Di Santo (or Kalinic) is tiring. The only issue with the above line-up is it leaves our midfield a little stretched and could lead to us being overrun, as Benni Mac is unlikely to track back. In which case, the only other option really is to place Keef and N'Zonzi in the centre...

If Diouf, Pedersen and Roberts are all in the squad again Saturday I see our fantastic home form coming to an abrupt end.

Desperate must-win game for Spuds- the biggest of their season thus far.

We can win it if we are willing to take the game to them but I expect our tactics and selection will be wrong.

Spurs could give us a thorough thrashing if we defend like we did at Brum.

Rovers 1 Spurs 4

Robbo

Jacobsen-Givet-Samba-Chimbonda

Emerton-N'Zonzi-Hoilett

Benni Mac

Di Santo-Kalinic

I quite like that formation, except I'm be tempted to play Salgado instead of Jacobsen. I can't see Nelsen being dropped, but I'm fairly satisfied with any three of the centre-backs.

Benni & Hoilett simply have to start, otherwise I dread to think how we'll get out of the starting blocks. Tottenham are a side who throw caution to the wind, and unless we have at them we'll constantly be on the back foot against their pace.

I quite like that formation, except I'm be tempted to play Salgado instead of Jacobsen. I can't see Nelsen being dropped, but I'm fairly satisfied with any three of the centre-backs.

Benni & Hoilett simply have to start, otherwise I dread to think how we'll get out of the starting blocks. Tottenham are a side who throw caution to the wind, and unless we have at them we'll constantly be on the back foot against their pace.

I like it too, but Bert is injured....

I like it too, but Bert is injured....

We are more than a bit thin in midfield....

Don't think we can reasonably play 433 with Hoilet in the middle!

Key question is are Dunn or Grella going to be fit? If neither are I think we are going to really really struggle to get anywhere near Spurs.

Grella will be fit, Dunn probably too (although I fear that might be on the official site to mislead TH a little..)

Robinson

Givet - Nelsen - Samba - Chimbonda

N'Zonzi - Grella

Dunn/Hoilett - McCarthy/MGP

Kalinic - Di Santo

If the formation is like above, with Grella & Dunn at 100% fitness, I guess we have a chance...for a draw.

What's everyone's thoughts on who we should play against Lennon? In my preview i thought Givet because he is probably the most defensive minded left sided defender we have though he wasn't that great last night... Chimbonda i suppose could play there but he is very attacking, whether or not that will work against Lennon i'm not so sure. Olsson has a shocking performance against Lennon last time, Olsson has some decent pace but hasn't featured much recently.

Archived