BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mick Mccarthy

ancient

I read somewhere that Wolves had got 9pts out of the last 12pts available.

How many Rovers fans would go for a 9pt haul over the festive period, if it meant playing a weakened side for one away game? :huh:

I`m not defending McCarthy, but in hindsight it`s looking like he got away with it. If anything, he should`ve pre-warned Wolves fans so they could`ve opted not to purchase tickets for the Man Ure game. They feel like they`ve been duped & rightly so.

That's really the only issue I have. Wolves fans should've been warned that this would happen, but they weren't. If Sam wanted to field a weaker side, but came out a few days before the match and declared this and giving his reasons then I would be ok with it. If I found out about it an hour before then I would be pretty angry.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's really the only issue I have. Wolves fans should've been warned that this would happen, but they weren't. If Sam wanted to field a weaker side, but came out a few days before the match and declared this and giving his reasons then I would be ok with it. If I found out about it an hour before then I would be pretty angry.

But he cannot say that can he? To do so would be against the rules! :rolleyes: As it currently stands he selected the team from players from within his first team squad and there can't be much officially wrong with that can there?

But he cannot say that can he? To do so would be against the rules! :rolleyes: As it currently stands he selected the team from players from within his first team squad and there can't be much officially wrong with that can there?

No, I don't think there is. A "weakened team" is pretty subjective, McCarthy could claim that his best players were physically not at peak level and would therefore have performed worse than the team he eventually announced, so he did field a full strength team.

I honestly see nothing wrong with it besides the fact that he deceived the fans by playing a team that would be perceived by fans as unambitious.

No, I don't think there is. A "weakened team" is pretty subjective, McCarthy could claim that his best players were physically not at peak level and would therefore have performed worse than the team he eventually announced, so he did field a full strength team.

I honestly see nothing wrong with it besides the fact that he deceived the fans by playing a team that would be perceived by fans as unambitious.

Spurs certainly see a hell of a lot wrong with them playing Wolves first team and the Mancs playing their reserves when both are after the same CL slot in all probability.

I know why he's done it.

Rovers fans wouldn't like it, as the Wolves fans who shelled out all that money don't like either.

You keep ducking the point, Den, so I'll just ask you a question: Do you really believe that Sam went into Arsenal and Liverpool away last season thinking he'd win at least a point from each of them, or do you think his selections were made to try and keep the goal differential down? What's the difference between that and what McCarthy has done?

You keep ducking the point, Den, so I'll just ask you a question: Do you really believe that Sam went into Arsenal and Liverpool away last season thinking he'd win at least a point from each of them, or do you think his selections were made to try and keep the goal differential down? What's the difference between that and what McCarthy has done?

I don't think Allardyce has yet chosen a team with the intention of writing off the result, American. If he did, he would lose my support. I assume he wouldn't lose your support? I assume you would be very understanding if he were to go that way?

Still, you completely miss my point. I'm not saying "oh, this has never happened before and Wolves are bang out of order". I've said before, I couldn't care less what's happened in the past. The fact is that now that the PL have asked Wolves for an explanation of their team selection, they have to make a decision whether to charge them or not. Hopefully, for the benefit of the game and the fans, they will charge them. Otherwise I fear this will become commonplace - where clubs "forfeit", or "don't compete" for want of better words, in Premier League matches.

I don't think Sam is an idiot. I think he goes into every game hoping for one or more points. On the other hand, he has something of a Frankenstein team, mostly Hughes, some Ince, some Sam. He'll need some time to get the component parts sorted. I think he's squared away the defense, has made a decent effort toward squaring away the striker issue (Kalinic will come good, eventually) and needs to address the midfield.

I'd rather have Sam than McCarthy, by a mile.

I think he puts out a team in a way that he thinks is most likely to be able to get something from the game. Whether we agree with how he goes about that is another matter, but that's how he will approach it. Even if it is eleven men behind the ball and hoping to nick something from a set piece, the intent is still to do what he thinks is best to get something from the game.

That's where the difference lies, McCarthy had given that one up before it had begun.

Archived