BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] To The Board And Fans Of Rovers.

In my humble opinion the time has come for a change. Having been to virtually every home game this season it is becoming increasingly evident that the team is short of ideas and the fault of this has to lie with the management. We are a club who is short of money and we have had to sell our best players over recent seasons to stay solvent, which, has of course, weakened our position. However this is in no way an excuse for the insipid fare served up week on week. All that we the fans ask is that the players we have at our disposal, who are capable of being a match for the vast majority of teams in the Premier League, try their hearts out every minute of every match. Today is a prime example: at times we were as good as Spurs who are an expensively (some £200m more than our squad) assembled team; for the most part we were flat and resorted to Big Sam's normal modus operandi, ye olde big hoof up to a target man.

Given that within (approximately) half an hour it is likely that a manager who had us playing *as a team*, trying hard, was shrewd in the transfer market, and brought us the sort of success which is the upper limit of what we can expect without a benefactor on the scale of Uncle Jack, now would be a good, albeit brave time, to thank Big Sam for doing the job he was employed to do (saving us from the Ince/Relegation farce) but let him know that it is time for the club to try and move forwards. Said moving forward is precisely what we don't look like doing under the current regime, and we have a (just) strong enough squad to be able to be relatively comfortable in a weak league this season. That said we are in now way assured of being outside of what will more than likely be a seven or eight team relegation battle come the end of the season if things don't change.

Though there cannot possibly any clarity as to the club's financial position it is clear the Premier League survival is a must, and we have to look toward cheap players who will be saleable at a profit. We need a manager with a reputation for playing *successful football* to attract these players who will either want to reignite a faltering career (eg Santa Cruz), or to showcase their skills in one of the most competitive leagues in the world- such as Samba and hopefully N'Zonzi. Unfortunately I do not believe Big Sam is that man. He is clearly an innovative coach when it comes to training but he is tactically lacking and is too wary of making a change to his system. Furthermore the fear is that we might lose our better footballing players because they don't fit Big Sam's mould- who would really rather see the ball drilled up towards an isolated Roberts than us playing through the midfield using the (admittedly frustratingly enigmatic) McCarthy and Dunny. We seem to have begun using our midfield as a first line of defence than an attacking option, it is too often bypassed.

It has been a pleasure all season to see Ewood as full as it has often been and credit to that must go to the board, however the growing sense of dissatisfaction is palpable. Our home record over the last 12 months is good, and this has done us many favours, but the football has not been. Though we have never been a club who plays the greatest of football, all we ask is that we try and give every team a game. I'd rather see us lose through a lack of quality than through a lack of effort.

The club and fans have every right to be hugely proud of our achievements over the last twenty years but to maintain the club's proud position and tradition we need a change of leadership, now. Modern football is a cut-throat game and it is time for Big Sam to be given a painting of a Spitfire and shuffled off to do what he does elsewhere.

Thank you all for taking time to read this, and I look forward to reading your opinions, as well as a change in the near future.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're in a cup semi-final, let's wait and see how we do in that before making conclusions.

and who would you rather have than BFS? I'm no big fan of his either, but if you can name me a good manager who cares about Rovers and would like to manage us, I'd like to hear it. Besides Souness.

• Backroom

There are a lot of things that need to change at the club, but right now the manager isn't one of them. Sacking Allardyce would be a huge risk that we I don't think we can afford to make financially.

The board simply cannot afford to sack Sam & co and start again. It will only happen when relegation looks imminent and the board protect the club's long-term future.

*If* the board were sensible they'll have put Big Sam on an annually renegotiable contract so he can be got rid of with relative ease, surely they will have learnt the lesson with I**e's five-year deal. However something inside me suggests that is just not the case.

As for being in a cup semi-final, i would love to see us get through to Wembley, it'd be a welcome filip. I still feel that any cup success would gloss over the problems rather than show a change in the clubs fortunes for the future.

Can we change? Yes. We. Can! Time for Barack Hughesy!

Lets see where we are at the end of this season.Calls for the sacking of Allardyce are the kneejerk reactions of non thinkers.

As for the financial running of the club there is NOTHING the fans can do.

I was not trying to suggest we can change the way the club is run financially, our position is a fact and I stated as much. However, it is my belief that a change in manager would bring about an upturn in fortunes both financially and metaphorically. As much as I would like to see that change happen sooner rather than later I appreciate that the board may feel they need more reason to instigate a change. However as fans we have a right to voice our opinions, and we are a part of the club. The club does exist as a business entity, that is an undeniable facet of modern football, however it also exists as an entity whose sole aim is to 'Garner' success on the pitch which will expedite our financial position.

The change in leadership i'm advocating can be argued from footballing, idealogical, and financial viewpoints and I hope I have made these all clear. What is not so clear to me is what benefits Allardyce brings above our current position which is less than satisfactory. With the quality of players we have available to us we must not be settling for '17th and above is good enough'. We need to show ambition again and I don't feel that is demonstrated by the club's management. I remain thankful for what Big Sam has done but I believe a wise appointment would precipitate an upturn in the clubs fortunes and consolidate our footballing and financial position above the position we find ourselves in. Although we are not relegation certainties, or even battlers, currently I can see how we would become so quite easily in a league as competitive and close as this Premier League.

As for 'non-thinkers', I simply say, "whateverrrrr!" and blow a raspberry at you. So there! ;-)

*If* the board were sensible they'll have put Big Sam on an annually renegotiable contract so he can be got rid of with relative ease, surely they will have learnt the lesson with I**e's five-year deal. However something inside me suggests that is just not the case.

'Thanks for saving our bacon last season, Sam! Here's an annual clause in your contract in case we wanna give you the boot!' :)

Get real.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to compete in this league, and Sam's numero priority is to sustain our Premiership lives. Unless the team is plummeting out of here on a one-way ticket, the board won't be sacking him arbitrarily.

I certainly haven't noticed a growing, palpable sense of growing dissatisfaction from where I sit, slap bang in the middle of the Blackburn End. With a bit of better refereeing and a shade of luck we could have won today and we also played some nice stuff, showing exactly what we are capable of.

There are undoubtedly better footballing sides in the Premiership, but this either costs a lot of money to create, which we don't have, or is unsustainable, see West Brom (and this is something that I still think the Dingles will eventually find out to their peril, not that their football is anything like as good as they think it is).

Can understand why some fans may wish things were better, so do I, but there quite a few worse sides in the league than us with bigger budgets, and we have a semi final looming.

Disappointing, but undeserved result today so I find the timing of this comment very odd.

'Thanks for saving our bacon last season, Sam! Here's an annual clause in your contract in case we wanna give you the boot!' :)

Get real.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to compete in this league, and Sam's numero priority is to sustain our Premiership lives. Unless the team is plummeting out of here on a one-way ticket, the board won't be sacking him arbitrarily.

Precisely my point, Sam is capable and will sustain our Premiership lives, BUT, another manager could do that and more.

And with regard to contracts, I was only speculating. With the decidedly fluid nature of football managerment one would simply imagine that clubs would aim to protect themselves from a large financial loss should the need arise to bring about a regime change. But I bet they don't!

Precisely my point, Sam is capable and will sustain our Premiership lives, BUT, another manager could do that and more.

And with regard to contracts, I was only speculating. With the decidedly fluid nature of football managerment one would simply imagine that clubs would aim to protect themselves from a large financial loss should the need arise to bring about a regime change. But I bet they don't!

Who could do that and more?

Fact is the Premier League lansdscape has changed a lot even since the days of Hughes. Now Villa instead of challenging to be a top 6 club are challenging to be a top 4 club. Man City are flush with cash. Spurs were usually below us but now have quality running through their side and are doing well. Sunderland have a lot more cash than us these days too.

Sam isnt doing a great job but fact is in terms of our resources and our squad we're falling further and further behind.

For every one potential manager than could do a significantly better job than Sam, theres another five who'd do worse.

Get real.

Increasingly difficult? Same as it always has been. So what if City have come about? Newcastle and Leeds are gone. There will always be some big-spending wannabes.

As for the rolling contract...we had Hughes on one.

Sam said when he took the job, If I remember right, that he'd only be here a few years. If he stepped down in the Summer having guided us to a comfortable mid-table finish I think everyone would be happy - provided a replacement who could take us forward was available.

Sacking the manager mid-season when we're really not doing all that badly would be crazy. Our problem is goals, and

1. there's no money available to sign a goalscoring striker, and

2. what we've got isn't capable of turning it round under a "better" manager

Increasingly difficult? Same as it always has been. So what if City have come about? Newcastle and Leeds are gone. There will always be some big-spending wannabes.

As for the rolling contract...we had Hughes on one.

Of course it's increasingly difficult. You cannot compare Leeds and Newcastle with City. Neither of them were as out of reach as City are.

Anyway, if we're comparing with the days of Hughes Newcastle and Leeds were spent forces so bringing them up is irrelevant. It's just wrong to say the Premiership landscape hasnt changed significantly since the start of this decade, and also noticeably since the days of 06-07 when Hughes was at his best.

I think that Sam has done a decent job so far, he doesnt play the kind of football I like to see and yes I do agree to some extent that the players can and would play a hell of a lot better if motivated right.

There does seem to be something wrong with our players expectations in some matches sometimes we seem to be happy with a low loss when obviously the fans are not, I wouldnt like to say where the problems lie but i hope they are sorted.

As for the calling of Sam to be moved on well i dont think that is needed, yes i do agree that we will be fighting for survival this season and many more with the way the league is looking but a new manager does not guarantee anything.

In my honest opinion I really dont think Sam will be the rovers manager for a long time remembering back to when he took the job his wife was well lets say less than pleased and now with the heart problem and Sam saying his attitude is going to have to change to learn to cope with things a bit better, I really think that the stress of the job just may well get the better of him and he may decide to step down for the good of his health, maybe for sams health reasons he is trying to have a laidback aproach to the game but unfortunately it seems to be rubbing off on the players.

Sam will not be replaced anytime soon for two very good reasons.

Firstly, the club officials believe he was the right appointment - a view I totally agreed with at the time and still do.

Secondly, sacking Ince brought the club to its knees in financial terms. There is no way we can afford to sack another manager - particularly one with still some two years or so still left on his contract.

Whoever, was manager of Blackburn Rovers would have the same problem that Sam is faced with - limited cash.

We cannot buy in January without selling first. The only players who would bring the type of money that we need to rebuild, in terms of numbers and quality, are Robinson and Samba. Fringe players, or indeed Benni and Pedersen, are not going to bring the type of fees that we need.

Whether we like it or not, success for Blackburn Rovers at the moment is all about survival. We have returned to what we have been for the majority of our history, a club that needs to sell to survive. It may well be that way for the next few years. Clearly, that has an impact on the quality of player that you can put onto the pitch. Nonetheless, the fact remains, since Sam arrived we have lost just three League matches at Ewood Park and are in a major Cup semi-final. If Sam keeps us afloat in the Premier League then those officials who appointed him and the majority of the fans will continue to support his management.

Sam will not be replaced anytime soon for two very good reasons.

Firstly, the club officials believe he was the right appointment - a view I totally agreed with at the time and still do.

Secondly, sacking Ince brought the club to its knees in financial terms. There is no way we can afford to sack another manager - particularly one with still some two years or so still left on his contract.

Whoever, was manager of Blackburn Rovers would have the same problem that Sam is faced with - limited cash.

We cannot buy in January without selling first. The only players who would bring the type of money that we need to rebuild, in terms of numbers and quality, are Robinson and Samba. Fringe players, or indeed Benni and Pedersen, are not going to bring the type of fees that we need.

Whether we like it or not, success for Blackburn Rovers at the moment is all about survival. We have returned to what we have been for the majority of our history, a club that needs to sell to survive. It may well be that way for the next few years. Clearly, that has an impact on the quality of player that you can put onto the pitch. Nonetheless, the fact remains, since Sam arrived we have lost just three League matches at Ewood Park and are in a major Cup semi-final. If Sam keeps us afloat in the Premier League then those officials who appointed him and the majority of the fans will continue to support his management.

Dont know who you are Parsonblue, but IF, Rovers can find a better goalie than Robinson, then do it for the future of the club asap.

Look at Stoke, Fulham and Birmingham's squads - there aren't many players from any of them that I would swap for of ours. Yet they are all doing better than us - significantly so in Brum's case. So if our players are on the whole superior, why are we not up and around Brum?

The problem is not the players, it's the system they are being asked to play, and the often baffling team and tactical selections being made by the manager.

I would get rid ASAP if it was up to me, because as a club we are going nowhere with BFS at the helm. From the murmurs of discontent from several people round me in the Bburn End I'm not alone in this view.

However, I'm pretty sure that it's as much a financial decision as a football one - could we afford to sack him?

Sacking Sam is not the answer. Giving him a few million, or allowing him to sell some players and keep the money, to invest in the midfield is the answer. Sam is perfectly competent and will keep us up. We've not had a great run the last couple of weeks, but the glimmerings of a strong squad are there to see and we've months to go. We'll be fine. :rover:

Archived