BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Of Wigan Away

cn174

Rovers have only visited Wigan four times in the league and it has been a rather mixed bag.

The Good

roversgood.jpg

Our first meeting on New Years Eve 2005 was brilliant. 5,000 Rovers fans made the trip to the JJB on the promise of free pies that never materialised. Rovers took the lead thanks to a thumping volley from a ridiculously acute angle by Pedersen (right now this would end up over the top of the stand!)

. If that goal wasn’t enough for Rovers, Steven Reid nearly broke the net on 53 minutes when he blasted the ball into the top corner causing the Rovers fans to go crazy! Reid Goal. Bellamy added a third boring goal after some bad defending allowed him to curl the ball in. The messageboard was joyful except for those worrying about Hughes going to Man U, Spurs sniffing around Pedersen and Vinjay generally causing aggro!

One year and one day later we were all back at the JJB again for another 3-0 victory leading Jordan to state that the Rovers title chase was still on :D. The game was a scrappy one but just before half time Rovers took the lead thanks to a nice own goal from Emile Heskey. Rovers doubled their lead as Pedersen headed the ball onto Matt Derbyshire to score his first Rovers goal. A Benni McCarthy penalty wrapped up the game giving the Rovers fans another excellent New Year. Not wanting to celebrate too much, West Sussex Rover decided to get into some argument about if he did or did not see highlights on Sky.

The Bad

roversbad.jpg

A crazy day at the JJB saw Latics beat Rovers for the first time. Wigan set off like a house on fire and scored three goals in the first 40 minutes. Roque Santa Cruz scored just before half time but it didn’t do much to lift the spirits of the Rovers fans. This was soon to change as Roque scored twice more early in the second half to claim his hat-trick sending the Rovers fans wild. But that was nowhere near the end of the story. Emerton got sent off, Bent scored Roque missed an absolute glorious header to make it 4-4 and Bent also got his hattrick late on in the game. Was an entertaining game with terrible defending for the neutral, but a very bad one for Rovers – how could we ever let Marcus Bent score a hat-trick?!

The Ugly

I won’t dwell on last season that much. We all know what happened. It was possibly one of the most spineless Rovers performances I’ve ever seen and thankfully that saw the end of Ince!

The Future

Rovers go into the game having not won in the league since the Bolton game scoring just one goal in the defeat to Birmingham. So not great form. We’ve swung from promising to absolute abysmal to ok to just can’t bloody score. Luckily Wigan are also extremely inconsistent so what will happen in this game is anybodies guess.

We did try to get Dave Whelan to do a Q&A but they’ve not replied. So instead I asked my mates Neil & Phil for their thoughts on the season so far.

So nearly half way through the season how do you think it is going?

Looks like its going to be a long season. We are inconsistent at best and are dropping silly points but picking up points against teams that should be beating us.

I think its going pretty well but we are very unpredictable. i think this comes down to the vast change in style which Martinez has wanted us to play, so when it works its great but there are times when I've felt we haven't got the players to make it work.

Having gone for a relatively inexperienced manager in the summer what are your thoughts on him so far?

So far he hasn’t shown a great deal of tactical knowledge. He only has one game plan and wont change from it. Needs to bring in some decent signings with experience. Will get us relegated this year but if we stick with him will come good.

The thing is Martinez was the fans choice, purely because hes a Latics legend so we were all extremely happy when he took over and I think once he gets a few more of 'his' players in we'll be fine

Would you swap him for Allardyce?

To be honest yes as pretty football doesn’t win games, take Tottenham for example.

Erm, No.

I have to ask...9-1?! What was your reaction to that?

Disappointing. Shows a team that has no pride in the shirt.

I felt abit humiliated, but think that Spurs could have done that to anyone on the day with the way they played and it just so happened that we were the unlucky team.

Anyone you'd like to sign in January?

James Beattie or bring back Emile Heskey. At least with a strong target man we might be able to have a different option and also give Hugo and N’Zogbia something to work with.

I'd love for Heskey to come back, which would hopefully see him back in the form before he was before he left for Villa and on the plane to South Africa

What are your thoughts on Rovers this season?

Typical Allardyce side - effective and workman like but missing a decent front man.

I think they are pretty solid, but lack that cutting edge up front so kind of the opposite to us at the moment.

Who do you think will finish highest - Wigan or Rovers?

Rovers

I would expect us both to finish around 14th and 15th but Im not sure in what order.

Which players should we be scared about in your team?

Hugo or N’Zogbia

Our main threat going forward comes from the wide positions with Hugo Rodallega and Charles N' Zogbia and theyve been coming up with most of the goals, and I suppose someone has to because Jason Scotland doesn't look like he ever will.

What weaknesses can we (try to!!) exploit?

Just let us play our passing game, wont be long before we lose the ball with our back four trying to play like Brazil.

I think that because of the new system we are trying to play, the best thing to do is to try and frustrate us which often sees us

Which players/formation can we expect to be playing against?

4-5-1 or is it 4-3-3 no one really knows

The formation will be 4-2-3-1 with probably Scotland up front, and N' Zogbia, Scharner and Rodallega just behind. Then theres usually Hendry Thomas and Mohammed Diame sat behind, but I think Diame will still be injured on Boxing Day so with the size of our squad who knows who will replace him?

Are you worried about any of our players?

The legend that is Jason Roberts

Not really!

Score prediction?

0-0

I expect us to win possibly 2-0

What is more exciting - playing in the old 4th/3rd/2nd divisions or the Premiership?

The old 3rd division where the players weren’t the best but they played for the team and gave it their all.

I think the most exciting was the season we got promoted from the 1st Division because it seemed like we won every week, but the best is definitely seeing the team compete in the Premiership.

When are you going to sign Jason Roberts back?

Hopefully January to at least get rid of Scotland

Roberts was a great player for us, especially in the season we got promoted to the Premiership but I can't see him ever coming back.

Meat and potato, steak or cheese and onion...what is your recommendation?

Bring your own they are far too expensive at the ground, but if pushed, steak every time

The pies at Wigan are horrible so I'd bring sandwiches!

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great preview Claire.

I have two worries about this match - losing and the crowd. We need Wigan and Bolton to draw tonight, a win for either would be really bad news for the Rovers. If we can then beat the Latics it will put four points between us which is an awful lot more comfortable than being five behind should they beat Bolton and Rovers.

As for the crowd? Well I hope we take a big, good natured following. I've got eight tickets, four folk who rarely go plus four STs, hopefully the miserable bunch of racists and ignorant teenagers present at most away games won't be able to get to Wigan as public transport is shut down. I could do with out family and friends having to sit through the Owen Coyle song, and the rest of the garbage they sing, at anytime let alone Christmas.

Guest Kamy100

Superb Preview, well done.

Most people will probably not agree with what I am about to post. I think that we need to go with experienced players, we have lost 2 games in a row and the pressure is starting to build, therefore I would prefer to see Benni and Roberts up front against Wigan. They are a proven partnership and both very experienced players who should be able to handle the pressure. Despite the promise that Franco and Niko have shown, the simple fact is that they are not scoring goals, and Rovers simply have to get positive results against Wigan and Sunderland.

Most people will probably not agree with what I am about to post. I think that we need to go with experienced players, we have lost 2 games in a row and the pressure is starting to build, therefore I would prefer to see Benni and Roberts up front against Wigan. They are a proven partnership and both very experienced players who should be able to handle the pressure. Despite the promise that Franco and Niko have shown, the simple fact is that they are not scoring goals, and Rovers simply have to get positive results against Wigan and Sunderland.

I can go with that Kamy.

Agree Kamy, we seem to forget the Benni/Roberts partnership did us well (under Sam) last season.

Like the point I made on Di Santo, great that he looks promising, enjoying his time at the club etc, but he has missed some very good chances - he is not doing enough overall for me - how long are we going to wait? He is working hard but confidence is clearly low.

Roberts misses chances too as we know, but think he can cause the opposition more problems (I know he is public enemy number one with some people).

As for the crowd? Well I hope we take a big, good natured following.

4000 tickets been sold already, only another 600 left by all accounts.

Can't seem to bring myself to buy one though, Boxing Day tradition as well, things must be bad....

If you can't afford it, fair enough.

If you can, shame.

The negativity on this board is scary.

I support Blackburn Rovers, not Allardyce, not the (mostly) mercenary footballers.

Managers and players come and go, the club and its fans are permanent. That's why I'll be at Wigan, to support my football club, like me and my family always have. At times watching Rovers is hard work, but doesn't that make the good times even sweeter?

For me a penniless, small town club mid table in the toughest, highest profile league in the world plus ANOTHER cup semi final should be celebrated, but of course this isn't good enough for our spoilt fans.

For £200 I can put up with at times dull matches as s team is slowly being rebuilt, but unfortunately Rovers fans have become an irritational bunch. Totally complacent to the fact that we are in our longest run of top flight football since the 1930s.

Potentially bad news but Wigan's game tonight is postponed due to snow.

What's the outlook for Boxing Day?

I think their stadium is one of the seasonal strugglers when it comes to weather.

I think it's due to get a bit better so I reckon the game will be on.

Bad for us that their players will be fresher than ours though.

If you can't afford it, fair enough.

If you can, shame.

I can afford it, but the memories of Bolton and Stoke away last season are etched in my mind. Stoke was possibly the worst performance away from home I can remember, and that’s saying something.

I can afford it, but the memories of Bolton and Stoke away last season are etched in my mind. Stoke was possibly the worst performance away from home I can remember, and that’s saying something.

Come on Gav, you've watched far worse than this. Maybe you're just getting old eh? :)

0-0 draw.

Its becoming increasingly difficult to get fired up for games when you have a side that's so inconsistent in team selection, formation and performances. I won't be going to the game nor will i be following what happens on the day, I'll be out doing something i enjoy far more at the moment than following Rovers. Hopefully when i get back and check the scoreline Rovers might sneak a win, but going off our inconsistent performances and shocking away form i'm expecting the usual rubbish.

Superb Preview, well done.

That is pretty good logic. We are likely to have youth in the side anyway in the form of N'Zonzi and Hoilett so do we really want another two inexperienced players starting at this time? The pressure is on...

Archived