BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Of Wigan Away

cn174

Think the subdued crowd was more to do with the tedious affair we saw on the pitch - yet again Sam comes out with the worst baloney possible - we where not the better team and did not come anwhere near to winning it - chances my arse.

Short of what been said, I took my father in law on today so these are his comments and not mine although I do agree.

'supposed professionals who cannot even pass to each other, aren't they supposed to have an understanding?'

'so slow at getting forward and when we finally do get there lucky if one man is in the penalty box'

'all far too predictable, you can tell Allardyce's influence, negative unconfident approach that a draw will do witout trying to take the game'

As for me - not sure if any of he memebers on here went back to the Orwell after but the overwhelming feeling talking to the guys in there is Allardyce needs to go because at the moment there are definitely not 3 teams worse than us.

Paul - did you make it going that way to the ground ok?

The month of January 2010 provides an opportunity for Sam to improve HIS hand if he doesnt grasp it then those guys may well have a strong point.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of us on here had severe reservations about Ince but chose to keep their counsel in the hope that he would succeed and prove us wrong. Others bellyached, sulked and threatened to take their ball home. Some did that and when an inexperienced manager failed proclaimed themselves as some kind of football Nostradamus :rolleyes:

Please note....... The above post has been made only with the benefit of hindsight! :lol:

He was far from our worst performer though. His attitude is very good, he gives it his all.

No thats parts definitly true, he wants to play that you can see. I just don't get why he isn't playing where he knows how too. Personally I would have brought on Gamst for Chimbonda (did not impress yesterday) and moved Salgado back there, Hoillet across to try his pace aginst their left back and Gamst against Pineapple head since he had Hoillet in his pocket.

One thing from yeterday though Hoillet threaded some great balls past 2-3 wigan players, the ball for McCarthy's flick was great.

We are so inept going forward, devoid of idea's and creativity we do need additions to the team as its blatantly obvious we have no-one on staff who knows how to attack and create chances.

After a festive alcohol induced last 24hrs I thought that I would popon our members forum for some good cheer and must say that as my hangover has lessened I have realised there is some right crud spouted on here.

I almost forgot Rovers were playing/had played such was the attraction of a freebie drinks session where the lager was cold and clear, the food fantastic and the fetive cheer vey apparent.

Quite glad now (looking back) that I didnt take the game in (sorry Den and Baz for not getting back to you). Instead I wined and dined, took a peek at the old scoretext, saw Rovers had a 1-0 lead at half time with McCarthy scoring. I then noted later on that as I looked at the Italian Sky channel, it had Rovers winnin 1-0 and 3 points in the bag, 11th in the league and that was that. It was only this lunch time when I tried to regad the Sunday papers that I realised it had finished 1-1.

I wasnt surprised Nelsen was yet again outjumped for a goal against.

I wasnt surprised that Andrews took yet another slating for being so ineffective.

I wasnt surprised at Rovers producing more chances yet failing to hit the net more than once.

I am not srprised at some of the reactions from our members on this forum.

I have now watched the sky footie first and think that we should have taken all 3 points. Our place in the league is precarious. Should we lose tomorrow and the teams around us pick up points we can be back in the mire.

We do need a win, we do need a midfielder and we do need to stick together.

Stop your moaning, stop your griping and please please shut the hell up, my head still hurts :blush:

Guess he un-did all that good work when he made the same mistake for the seocnd game in a row. Nelsen's not what he was, if only we had a left back so Givet could take his place.

There's no way Nelsen should take blame for their goal, he was left to mark two players, please tell me who Givet and Samba were marking, you watch the highlights again and tell me what is Samba doing just before Scotland lays it onto N'Zogbia? Ok he doesn't take his eye off the ball but what is he doing? Chimbonda stalls and thinks it's ok to jump around in circles, Givet isn't marking anyone he's nowhere near Scharner, Samba is running back ball watching doing nothing, Nelsen can't defend all on his own, he needs the help of his team mates and they simply didn't do enough, it's a team effort, it's easy to blame Nelsen but try analysing it, the whole defence was all over the place, Chimbonda, Givet, Samba and Nelsen all in bad positions at least Nelsen was the closest to any Wigan player.

Pray tell where I blamed him for that goal???

I said he made the same mistake for the second game running, backing into a player looking for a foul when he should be trying to do the right thing jumping, getting in his way, blocking his vision, jumping backwards into him will put him more off balance than walking into his waist. He's actually a pretty good jumper its definitely a strength given his height. Nelsen has been making lots of mistakes recently as have the vaste majority of our team and these stupid errors always result in the same thing, conceding goals.

Givet and Samba are the best pairing we have in that respect and I've said it since the beginning of the season and you will not change my mind. Nelsen is not the player he was and the only reasons he's not been dropped is our lack of a left back and that he wears the armband.

Players who make mistakes IE the same ones persistently should be dropped especially when they result in goals. IMO Chimbonda and him should sit out the next game and others given a chance to fulfil those roles otherwise they will keep making mistakes and build complacency in their game as they know they will always play regardless of how they perform.

Just so you know Samba is doing what every CB should do if their full back is under pressure, he's in line with the ball and marking the chap 1.5 metres from him on his left. Givet shouldn't be where he is, but he has the man in front of him covered, (they are all marking players they are not close as then you give the advantage to the attacker) Nelsen is the one who moves to make the ball, and just backs into Rodeaglla (SP) if he jumps then the wigan player cannot go over the top of him as he does, which he needs to do since he's a shrimp and it means he's got a clean header on the ball.

My point was and still is, that two players making the same mistake again in the second game in a row. Bench time IMO because at our level its not good enough. Blame the others all you want Nelsen could have stopped that goal on his own.

PS if you want to wave highlights in my face at least give me some that work!!!

Paul - did you make it going that way to the ground ok?

Decided against going that way and instead came in via the Coppull, Standish etc. Got onto Spencer Road /Beech Hill Drive at 2.10, didn't get into the car parks till after kick off thanks to the lights at bottom of Beech Hill - why is ther no priority on a match day? Going home we took my route out past the Heinz factory and there was no other traffic at all which was excellent as it limited the time for arguing in the car about the performance!!!! smile.gif

The links working fine.

I'd defo drop Chimbonda but Nelsen no way. Like I've said previously if that's your theory then Samba should be dropped because he almost scored an own goal against Hull AND Wigan, he's been very fortunate his mistakes haven't cost us. Obviously I wouldn't drop him nor would I drop Nelsen, but there is some lack of communication between Samba and Robbo we're just lucky it wasn't costly.

The links working fine.

I'd defo drop Chimbonda but Nelsen no way. Like I've said previously if that's your theory then Samba should be dropped because he almost scored an own goal against Hull AND Wigan, he's been very fortunate his mistakes haven't cost us. Obviously I wouldn't drop him nor would I drop Nelsen, but there is some lack of communication between Samba and Robbo we're just lucky it wasn't costly.

Its no theory, Mourinho is the one I got it from. Its served him well and I know he did it a lot a Chelsea and now at Inter as well.

Almost though is not the same as actually scoring one and whilst it was a mistake, I'd question Robbo for even moving where he did because what if it had been a wigan player on the end of it we had an exposed goal. Six of one half a dozen of the other for that one for me, but it did bring a smile to my face.

I'll use a certain Pedersen to illustrate my point, we persisted and persisted with him under all our last three managers because we had no-one to take his place now he's nowhere near what he was and never will be at Rovers. Wait till he moves on I'll wager his performanaces improve quite a bit. You'll notice he's still playing well for Norway so he's not lost it just lost it at Rovers as he's in his comfort zone, IMO. If you demand 100% from your players and they play at 80% and stay in the team pretty soon 80 will become their 100%.

Salgado for Chimbonda, Nelsen for Givet and give Olsson a shot at left back (did he play Sunderland away???).

When I open your link I get asked to pay money, I'm a jock we only use the free parts of the internet. ;)

Trouble is whilst we persist in playing three center backs Givet will always drift inside its natural for him. I don't think it will be the last time we see a goal like that.

The links working fine.

Friedel and Villa RB poor communication today and Friedel conceded another free kick

The website's footytube try google it, see if that works.

I wouldn't play Olsson he would be my last resort.

Malbrange (sp) plays on the right for them? He's not as quick as Olsson so he should have the legs to recover if he makes a mistake. I just don't see the point in us having a squad if we don't use it, Olsson needs games otherwise he will never be any good. I'm sure he played at Sunderland and he did alright.

If I was a squad player at Rovers and saw the 1st 11 making some of the errors they do and not getting dropped, then quite simply I'd leave because it means I'm not rated and they will never be dropped, regardless.

Malbrange (sp) plays on the right for them? He's not as quick as Olsson so he should have the legs to recover if he makes a mistake. I just don't see the point in us having a squad if we don't use it, Olsson needs games otherwise he will never be any good. I'm sure he played at Sunderland and he did alright.

If I was a squad player at Rovers and saw the 1st 11 making some of the errors they do and not getting dropped, then quite simply I'd leave because it means I'm not rated and they will never be dropped, regardless.

I saw him against Arsenal and like all the defenders that day they looked out of their depth, he had a brilliant game against Peterborough in the cup, I was impressed. A game Givet played in the centre too albeit with Jones but when Nelsen came on we didn't concede.

He has taken us from 19th and 5 points away from safety to 12th and a cup semi final while spending how much exactly? Minus zero...

It hasn't been wonderful it is true but be honest...a year ago when he took over wouldn't you have been more than happy with that?

12th = 3 points above the drop zone, not exactly awe inspiring. Or level on points with Burnley, ditto

Also, it is very generous to give him a minus zero on spending. He sold a player who wasn't at all involved last season, who neither he nor Ince really got the chance to use, it wasn't either of their signings and he didn't exactly have to pull off a managerial coup to get that one to go ahead.

Also, it is very generous to give him a minus zero on spending. He sold a player who wasn't at all involved last season, who neither he nor Ince really got the chance to use, it wasn't either of their signings and he didn't exactly have to pull off a managerial coup to get that one to go ahead.

How much of the profit on RSC was he allowed to spend eddie? I've really no idea but it sounds like you do.

Also, it is very generous to give him a minus zero on spending..

How is it "generous" exactly? It is a fact. No question of being "generous".

12th = 3 points above the drop zone, not exactly awe inspiring. Or level on points with Burnley, ditto

Who mentioned "awe inspiring"? In fact I even said "it hasn't been wonderful".

However, as we seemingly will not have anything to spend unless we sell our better players I would get used to it. Whether under Allardyce or whoever else.

Our best two centre backs are Samba and Givet without a doubt. The question is does Allardyce want to risk Olsson at left back, drop Nelsen (he would deffo have a case after his last two games) and put Givet in his best position, or does he persist with his error-prone captain? I'm sure 'The Expert' (lol) will get it right .... as usual. :blink:

Archived