BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Of Wigan Away

cn174

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we are AWAY therefore we LOSE. We are completely toothless and i cannot see wigan not scoring. Janurary cannot come quick enough right now as this is starting to make me feel the way i did this time last year and changes are needed, the same old faces underperforming week after week are making feel nervous about going to wigan of all places and that ain't right.

0-0 draw.

Its becoming increasingly difficult to get fired up for games when you have a side that's so inconsistent in team selection, formation and performances. I won't be going to the game nor will i be following what happens on the day, I'll be out doing something i enjoy far more at the moment than following Rovers. Hopefully when i get back and check the scoreline Rovers might sneak a win, but going off our inconsistent performances and shocking away form i'm expecting the usual rubbish.

^

We'll win 0-3

I thought that their pitch was 'perfectly playable'?

And that it was called off because of safety fears for people getting to the ground? Or was that just a cover up?

Correct - Im suprised the premier league allowed it - Councils have to clear paths & roads, why cant Wigan? There was very little snow there yesterday either!

Guest Kamy100

The pitch was fine, however the area in and around the ground was frozen over and was deemed a health and safety hazard, therefore the game was cancelled. The good news is that there is rain due on Friday and Saturday so hopefully the Rovers game will go ahead.

I thought that their pitch was 'perfectly playable'?

And that it was called off because of safety fears for people getting to the ground? Or was that just a cover up?

Correct, my bad. Frozen off was referring to areas around the stadium being unsafe.

The pitch was fine, however the area in and around the ground was frozen over and was deemed a health and safety hazard, therefore the game was cancelled. The good news is that there is rain due on Friday and Saturday so hopefully the Rovers game will go ahead.

Hurray for rain on Christmas day! :tu: ... :lol: ... :huh:

Haven't been to Wigan today, can't get out of the village, but judging by the amount of snow and ice here it will take one hell of a lot of rain to make any difference. On the other hand Wigan have several days to clear it whereas on Monday it was perhaps less expected?

The Wigan forecast for Friday is currently sun with a maximum of 4C and Saturday light showers with a max of 6C

For me the game hinges on our full backs. Their main threat comes from their wingers so I'd choose our best defensive full backs to ensure that these two don't create many chances. If we can nullify them I feel we have a good shout at winning this game.

In the past Wigan haven't really liked having a big striker playing against them, I seem to recall they had a hard time against Santa Cruz a couple of years back. Granted Di Santo isn't quite at that level yet, but the principle of having a hard working big man attacking their back line could still be very profitable to rovers.

A lot also depends on the fitness of key players. We really miss Dunn's creativity and Emerton's energy. Having them back would be a big boost.

I wonder whether a 4-2-3-1 approach might be best, as short of telling the 3 that they are there to attack, I've a feeling that the front man/men will end up very isolated. If we don't have the creativity or the energy to get men forward, perhaps the best way to ensure an attacking presence is to simply get the bodies up there! Tell the 3 that they are to get forward whenever possible and perhaps Di Santo won't be isolated for yet another game. Admittedly there's the chance that it'll revert to a 4-5-1 leaving Di Santo up front alone, but that's happening anyway with 4-4-2 and at least this system allows others more opportunities to get forward. Additionally I'd be very excited at seeing Junior without as many defensive responsibilities, perhaps give him the free role in the 3 if Dunn is still injured?

Regardless of formations and personnel though we really need a win. Wigan away is one of the more winnable games, and we need to stop the winless and goalless rot asap.

If we score a goal it will be a tremendous achievement.

I've also got a feeling that Keith may re-appear.

2-0 Wigan.

Me and you both..it's still too early for my ticker to see him, Roberts, EHD or MGP gracing the #11 though.

I reckon N'Zogbia will have a blinder against us so I will go with a 1-0 defeat. Again, like Brum the first goal is crucial. We will have forgotten what it's like to actually take a lead.

Got my tickets this morning.

Snow in Bolton has been all morning - however sleet tomorrow & Thursday, followed by rain on Friday & Saturday is what they are saying will happen....

Met Office Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

A few wintry showers around on Thursday but generally dry and sunny on Christmas Day. Boxing Day sees milder, breezy weather with showers spread from the west.

Updated: 0451 on Tue 22 Dec 2009

Met Office or BBC

I see from the club site that all 4,600 tickets have been sold and that away travel is also sold out.

I'm sure that away stand holds more - in the region of 5.2k - so let's hope that more tickets are released. i seem to recall we sold out the entire stand on new years eve a few years back, and the following was over 5k

Archived