BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Col

nicko

I don't recall ever reading anything more open and saddening than this, truly heartbreaking. Nobody should have to go through what that family did, my thoughts are with them all and I hope that somehow they can get through it and live a somewhat normal life.

Colin had the heart of a lion and just reading those words has just left me shocked. I want to say more, I feel I should after Colin has opened his heart to everyone but I just don't know what to say, I feel there's a lump at the back of my throat and if I tried to talk out loud I just wouldn't be able to.

I have absoloutley no idea what I would be able to say to him and his family if I was to ever meet them, this is all so tragic.

It really makes you think about life and the things that are really important, all of us spend far too much time worrying about the things in life which don't really mean anything when it's all over and not paying enough attention to the things that do.

RIP Denise and Best Wishes to the Hendry family, I hope 2010 and onwards is kinder to you than the past.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was speaking to a young lad in Majorca this year who played for Colin when he managed Clyde (he had to leave the job due to Denise being ill) he tells me he was a wonderful manager to young players, a mentor and helped in every possible way he could, just goes to show, a big man, big heart and still a really warm and friendly person!!

To all the Hendry Clan, I hope 2010 is a much happier year for you but you will never forget, it just gets a bit easier to deal with after time>

RIP Denise

The NHS should be bloody disgusted in themselves!

• 2 months later...
:rover: i had the great pleasure of meeting the hendry family during the french world cup,scotland and england had both been knocked out,and we were in johns bar in st tropez,when big col and his family called in.he told me then that he was going to rangers,some big fall out with roy hodgson,he was in the company of another rovers fan and family,did not stop me buying the legend a pint though :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

Big Col in financial difficulty - fundraiser???

Anyone willing to start a fundraiser for big col?? Maybe a load of collection buckets at ewood for a home game?! Maybe United at Home?!

Sorry but with the kind of money he would have been paid he and his family should be set up life. It's tragic what happened to his wife but I'm sure there's far more people in the crowd who's suffered just as much and not had anything like the financial income Colin has had.

• 4 weeks later...

"One was from online gaming company SpreadEx, which is pursuing Hendry

for £35,000"

Given two months to sort it all out...

As the above poster (koi) say's Big Col and his family should have been sorted for life...

If he is that much in the ###### he should sell his big four wheel drive I see him in (not too mention the personalised plate), perhaps downsize and flog the house in Lytham to get him and his family back on an even keel, Hell why not try getting some work on the radio or TV, Surely a man with such high footballing credientials as Colin would be in demand (if Gally is surely Colin would be).

Might appear a bit heartless the above but haven't they all suffered enough for God's sake...

Big Col in financial difficulty - fundraiser???

Anyone willing to start a fundraiser for big col?? Maybe a load of collection buckets at ewood for a home game?! Maybe United at Home?

By all means take your bucket along Hughesy. Ridiculous suggestion.

I have a deal of sympathy for any young family which loses a parent but that's no reason to have a whip round for a man who should be financially secure, perhaps not for life bt he should be well set up.

• Backroom

I think a lot of people feel the same, whats happened is awful but many people go through similar with worse resources and come out of it ok. Obviously everyone delas with these things differently though.

I hope he can get himself out of it but has been lucky to be in a career where he got paid more than most people for using his natural talents.

Of course I feel sorry for him and no doubt the loss of his wife has contributed to the gambling, but to have a fundraiser for him would be a joke. Can we have a fundraiser for me after I pick the wrong horse on Saturday?

I sometimes wonder about people, Colin was a great player for Rovers and was paid well, far more thean I ever earned,

Mr Maxwell missapporiated my pension fund and I lost the lot, I will retire with bugger all, well I have some savings but that will go!!

Perhaps its time for clubs and players to put more of their inflated salaries into a fund for later life as they seem incapable of looking after money correctly!

• 2 months later...

The facts have been reported in the press.

He blamed it on poor tax advice, gambling (he said less than reported in the media) and also looking after his wife.

He had enough money to set him up for life. All of this could have been avoided if he made better, more sensible choices. Obviously looking after his wife is understandable and rightly so but if you're lacking in funds, it's obvious you don't gamble. I also find it hard to believe he wasn't aware of how much tax he owed before it topped just over £1m tax. They're on my back if I owe £100.

Like I said before, I really like the guy and what he went through with his wife I cannot even imagine but after earning a footballers wage, getting 300k in compensation & being able to live in a mansion worth just shy of £2m, I really find it crazy that he's now bankrupt.

Archived