BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Most Influential Signing For Rovers... Ever

Just wanted to end the year on a positive note about Rovers , so was thinking about the signings that have had the biggest positive impact on the team / club / town during the time I've been a supporter. I thought it might be worth excluding the obvious candidates (Shearer, Tugay etc) and asking who you think was the most inspirational signing and why?

For me, Duncan McKenzie and Steve Archibald were players that created a big impact and who I was excited about when they signed - McKenzie was old school, fantastically gifted and soooo laid back. Archibald was the first player who'd been there done that got the T-shirt that I could relate to and I remember thinking just 'Wow!' when he was signed. The signing of both these players seemed to me at the time to be a kind of 'statement of intent' by Rovers, that we were looking to rise above our lowly stations and actually do something...

So that's my twopennorth - what's yours and why?

Kenny Dalglish without a doubt. He gave credibility to Jack Walker's money and ambition. His signing put a stop to the mickey taking mission of the sniggering bstards in the press and media following the Linekar incident and kick started the Walker years in double quick time.

I don't have as many years to recall from as a few of you guys but Jon Stead has to be up there for me. We were going down that year and without his goals would have done so, who knows where we would be had we been relegated. For me, that signing changed the course of our season and left me with some great memories of Rovers games. The wins away at Fulham and Borough were crucial and up there as some of my favourite all time Rovers games! He must have gone on to score 7 or 8 goals that season? The less said about the following season(s) for his career the better for those few months he was excellent.

From a different perspective i suppose you could argue the likes of Bentley and Santa Cruz; picking them up on the cheap and selling them for a fortune has bank rolled the club over the last few years (alongside the TV money.)

Kenny Dalglish without a doubt. He gave credibility to Jack Walker's money and ambition. His signing put a stop to the mickey taking mission of the sniggering bstards in the press and media following the Linekar incident and kick started the Walker years in double quick time.

BANG ON THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Backroom

First reply nailed it, bugger stole my answer though.

Andy Cole.

Forget about the price tag. Back in 2001 we were staring relegation in the face. Losing 1-0 at home to both Sunderland and Derby. The signing of Cole was the spark that suddenly changed our season. We really were going down until that point and then suddenly we ended up the top half. In the Carling Cup he scored in both semi finals as well as the winner in Cardiff.

Shame he never performed to those heights again in his career but if we hadn't had signed him and had kept relying on Grabbi would we have stayed up?

The likes of Duff, Dunn, Brad and Jansen - who SHOULD have gone to the World Cup at the end of that season - were excellent as well but it seemed to be the Cole signing that gave them all the fire in their bellies.

Correct, closely followed by Hawkins all those years ago, without who we may have gone out of the league

Shearer was not even mentioned?

The thread intentionally excludes the likes of Shearer and Toogs, if you'd care to read it...

Antway, what about King Col - Hendry: An inspirational player and catalyst of all things good in Blue and White if ever there was one. We could do with his like at the club now!

Bring back King Col!

In terms of Impact, definately John McNamee, Rovers were second bottom of the old division 3 in November, they signed McNamee from Celtic and hardley lost a game from then on, excellent Centre half at that level and Rovers would have been in the bottom tier for the first time and no way back, so it has to be him for me!!

Big John McNamee.

Great minds think alike, we typed at virtually the same time too!!

Howard Kendall as player and manager.

Turned us round from a headlong fall down the leagues and turned us into a team challenging for first division promotion.

Picking up Noel Brotherston and Scott Sellars from Spurs and Leeds respectively were awesome moves.

Howard Kendall as player and manager.

Turned us round from a headlong fall down the leagues and turned us into a team challenging for first division promotion.

Picking up Noel Brotherston and Scott Sellars from Spurs and Leeds respectively were awesome moves.

Scott Sellars ??? Surely Bobby Saxton signed him ?

Correct, closely followed by Hawkins all those years ago, without who we may have gone out of the league

Slight exaggeration there, we were only in the old Division 3 (Div 1 now) at the time.

A few years before that c1971 we looked in serious danger of slipping into the old Div 4. Ken Furphy brought in a hard as nails barsteward Scottish centre half called John McNamee. Wouldn't get through the warm up these days without being sent off but kept us up back then.

Others:

Graham Oates 3rd division Championship season 75

Andy Crawford (19 goals from a yard out 3rd div promotion season 79-80)

Steve Livingstone Tony Dobson and Bobby Mimms when Jack first took over

Gordon Cowans

Speedie

Obviously Dalglish and Shearer when we really hit the big time.

Latterly Cole and Stead.

Edit: Sorry missed the replies above. :blush:

Archived