SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Most Influential Signing For Rovers... Ever

In my 20 years watching rovers:

Mark Atkins

David Speedie

Jason Wilcox

Gary Flitcroft

fair play colin hendry but lets forget the two times he left us for what he believed to be better clubs!! at least my 4 were blue and white through and through and didn't leave until forced out !!

He's lost his way as of late, but Ryan Nelsen would have to go on the list, though not at the top.

Charlton had rejected him and he was on a free. Bet they wish they had signed him now!

Footballs full of that sort of comparison American. I wish we'd signed Zidane and Dugarry!

Sorry but how can you have a thread titled "Most Influential Signing For Rovers... Ever" and then say but you can't have Shearer and Tugay???

Kenny will never get my vote, because of his golfing decision after we won the league.

Rovers most influential signing ever (excluding the most influential signing ever Shearer), Jack Walker or John Williams.

The on I would have liked to have seen, is not zidane or dugarry but Baggio him and Shearer would have destroyed teams.

Not too sure why Sellars has been mentioned. Loved the guy but he did not really change the club or anything.

There was a notable spell when Rovers didn't play well at all if Scottie was not playing. He was very influential to the side at that time.

In terms of influence, Mike Newell deserves a mention.

Just to remind the Speedie lovers that during the promotion season, Newell broke his leg against Newcastle in February and the goals dried up after that.

Our attack went totally impotent(Speedie bagged just 2 goals in the following 12 games).

Fortunately, Newell made a faster recovery than expected and returned for the last 4 league games.

We scored as many goals in those last 4 as we did during the whole period that Newell was missing.

I'm convinced to this day, that without Newell's timely return, the Rovers would have missed promotion that season.

As for Tugay (shown as one of the exceptions) - a great player and cult hero without doubt but the most influential player, never in a million years.

There was a notable spell when Rovers didn't play well at all if Scottie was not playing. He was very influential to the side at that time.

I remember but I don't think that can really be compared to the instant influence that the likes of Cole and Stead had.

Mike Newell has not been mentioned. Before Dalglish "legitimised" Rovers it was Newell who was the marquee signing. Our first million pound player and we bought him from Everton who were still one of the big clubs at the time.

Dalglish came later by which time we were racing up the league.

Whoops - Just seen Whittle Blue has mentioned him before me!

Kenny will never get my vote, because of his golfing decision after we won the league.

I've highlighted the error of your judgement majiball.

BUT without UNCLE JACK we would be nowhere.

I know what you are saying chaddy but I don't think we signed Jack Walker.... he signed us! :)

Can't understand why nobody mentioned Keith Andrews. When he plays Rovers don't play well. How is that for influence?

Brilliant! You might have included Paul Ince on the same ticket. :lol:

Slight exaggeration there, we were only in the old Division 3 (Div 1 now) at the time.

A few years before that c1971 we looked in serious danger of slipping into the old Div 4. Ken Furphy brought in a hard as nails barsteward Scottish centre half called John McNamee. Wouldn't get through the warm up these days without being sent off but kept us up back then.

Others:

Graham Oates 3rd division Championship season 75

Andy Crawford (19 goals from a yard out 3rd div promotion season 79-80)

Steve Livingstone Tony Dobson and Bobby Mimms when Jack first took over

Gordon Cowans

Speedie

Obviously Dalglish and Shearer when we really hit the big time.

Latterly Cole and Stead.

I think the idea Rev is that you pick just 1. :D

btw No Killer Keeley in your list?

I only started watching Rovers from 92 onwards so I would say Ray Harford. It might seem harsh but i think he did to us what Souness did to Liverpool.

If Kenny had stayed as manager for a year longer or we had someone else, we might be a top 4 club now. After all, when Kenny left, we were champions of England and arguable one of the richest club in the world.

Archived