BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Happened To Our Youth?

Amo

Following on from a point I made about Keith Andrews:

Surely there's someone in the reserves/youth team who'd be a marked improvement on our Keith!?

You have to wonder about the state of our youth academy when we have no one knocking on the door to usurp our deadwood. When was the last time we produced another Duff, Dunn... heck, even a Damien Johnson would be nice! Surely instead of wasting time with passengers like Andrews or Pedersen, we could be giving some youngsters their big chance? I fail to see how they would do any worse, and we might just uncover a gem to nurture for the future (instead of Andrews, who'll we'll have to pay to join the Fizzy Pop League). Everton gave Jack Rodwell his big break and have a real gem on their hands. I accept we don't have the same standard in our ranks, but at the moment we're potless and wasting time and money on players with nothing to prove.

So I'm interested to know what people think about our Academy's future in general, and whether we should be blooding whatever prodigies we can find?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thinking that myself. Having said that when did Bolton, Wigan, Burnley , Blackpool or Preston last bring a really good home grown player through ?

They haven't, but they don't have one of the top academies in the country. The facilities that Rovers have far surpass anything those teams can think about.

Technically isnt David H youth team player for Rovers?

I think we have a few gems in the youth set up, Phil Jones certainly looks the part. I think the structure has been changed to allow more youth team players to enter the first team set up so will be interesting to see if any new players are blooded in the next season or two.

Unfortunately facilities do not train players.

Posted on Transfer thread but relevant!!

An option for midfield could be much closer to home, Alan Judge was tremendous for Plymouth yesterday, scored twice, one a decent penalty and the second a near post header against Reading, got a rating of 9, Man of the Match and accolades from Manager Paul Mariner!!

Now I know he is small but looks to have the tenacity and passing ability to improve our midfield!!! And he wouldnt cost us a penny!

Players are sent on loan to see if they can push on, he is playing regularly in a struggling team and playing well, maybe this is one who has 'pushed on' I dont watch Plymouth but the newspapers are giving him top reviews!

Maji, you are from the Plymouth area, you heard anything recently?

Unfortunately facilities do not train players.

The best players should or will have the ability and unrelenting desire to train themselves.

Players at this level arent stupid they themselves should know what they need to train on.

The last two games have highlighted lots of issues that need to be resolved, so right now i'd have thought it would be a great time to train at Rovers because theres so much to improve on and the talent is there.

The best players should or will have the ability and unrelenting desire to train themselves.

Players at this level arent stupid they themselves should know what they need to train on.

The last two games have highlighted lots of issues that need to be resolved, so right now i'd have thought it would be a great time to train at Rovers because theres so much to improve on and the talent is there.

Young players need the correct coaching to take them to the next level, I think Majiball is suggesting that the quality of coaching at the academy is not what it should be, yes we have the facilities but Hillsborough is a quality football stadium but where are they in the league??

Tugay for one would of been great for the accadamy.

Yeah he could have done tap up's and smoked fags with the kids all day long depending whether he was cracking jokes and smiling or whether his moody black dog had taken over his persona again. He'd have been dire! The only use to BRFC might be his Turkish connections.

When was the last time United, Liverpool or Chelsea developed a top player through their academy?

Can't think of any since Duff and Dunn were playing at the top of their games for us.

Darren Fletcher, Darron Gibson, Jonny Evans?

Three very useful players brought their ranks.

Better use of Rovers sparse cash to scrap the academy and use it for the first team squad. Can think of only 2 players who actually made it to regular first team football via the Academy - Tiny and Dunny. 2 Damiens & Beattie were prior to the academy system I think.

Don't we have this same thread every season?

At least under Sam were are seeing lots of promising young players coming in. N'Zonzi, Hoilett, Di Santo, Kalinic. The likes of Elrio may not work out but these are kind of players we are going to have to be scouting around. Young, far from the finished article and cheap. That said when they are strikers even those don't come cheap as seen by the likes of Di Santo and Kalinic.

Why not give Judge a go? Better than giving some of the more established players we have a start...

Posted on Transfer thread but relevant!!

An option for midfield could be much closer to home, Alan Judge was tremendous for Plymouth yesterday, scored twice, one a decent penalty and the second a near post header against Reading, got a rating of 9, Man of the Match and accolades from Manager Paul Mariner!!

Now I know he is small but looks to have the tenacity and passing ability to improve our midfield!!! And he wouldnt cost us a penny!

Players are sent on loan to see if they can push on, he is playing regularly in a struggling team and playing well, maybe this is one who has 'pushed on' I dont watch Plymouth but the newspapers are giving him top reviews!

Maji, you are from the Plymouth area, you heard anything recently?

Mariner is far more attack minded than Sturrock ever was and a better coach, hopefully he'll get far more out of him. I posted over the summer he was one we should have kept and I think he would have thought that way as well. He practically kept them up last year. They consider him ready for our league, as do I for our squad.

Judge playing in the hole behind 2 strikers appeals I think he's good enough to play there, evetually. If he'd spent the 6 months with us training (better players and coaching) as opposed to at Plymouth he might have been closer to the level we need him to be.

Yes every 8 year old knows exactly what it takes to become a premiership player don't they? What about aged 9? does even a 15 year old? I would say no.

The best way for players to learn is by solving the problems placed in front of them themselves, but you can only do this if placed in a situation thats allow this.

Guess these things just come and go in cycles.

If thats the case, please explain Brazils constant supply of world class players for as long as I can remember and further?

Hollands, as well being of far smaller population?

Portugal, Spain, France in the last 10 years and how even there kids of today look like another generation of world beaters.

Rovers have high hopes for 3 YOUTH products - Hoilett, Doran & Jones - All have played for the 1st team at some point.

They also believe Banton could make it too.

The club are looking at youth players to sign to improve our prospects.

Also worth remembering - they aint exactly youth team now, however we have a number of YOUNG players - NZonzi, Kalinic, Di Santo, Hoilett & to a degree Samba (25 is young for a defender)

How do you know that ? Just because you've been a great player it doesn't mean you will be a great coach. How many top coaches were great players ? You need the ability to pass on your ability and techniques.

But tugay had vision, if he could be trained and developed into a good coach then perhaps he could pass that on?

Yeah he could have done tap up's and smoked fags with the kids all day long depending whether he was cracking jokes and smiling or whether his moody black dog had taken over his persona again. He'd have been dire! The only use to BRFC might be his Turkish connections.

Yes thats exactly what he would do isn't it?

His smoking hardly prevented him playing far longer than most do these days, and I'd also wager given that he's highly professional. You could then presume he'd not smoke in front of them, couldn't you?

When was the last time United, Liverpool or Chelsea developed a top player through their academy?

Can't think of any since Duff and Dunn were playing at the top of their games for us.

West Ham are producing players for there first team though.

Liverpool just completely re-vamped there academy bringing spainish coaches. Chelsea have one or two but this is the do or die season for Arnesen, and I wonder if Ancelotti's I'll trust the kids isn't a ploy to oust him as he knows they are not good enough? Or perhaps he's not Arnesen's biggest fan?

If thats the case, please explain Brazils constant supply of world class players for as long as I can remember and further?

Portugal, Spain, France in the last 10 years and how even there kids of today look like another generation of world beaters.

Indeed but most of the top players from those countries are plying their trade elsewhere. Surely for a club like ours there's not enough revenue in simply developing players destined to ply their trade in Div 2/3 or wherever whilst hoping every 10 years to unearth a Duff or Dunny, it's much easier to grub around for the crumbs off the top table..... the Robinsons, Bentleys, RSC's, Givets, Warnocks and N'Zonzi's?

Hang on. The last WC Final was contested by two teams of 30 somethings. Brazils team goes through spells of being great and then very beatable.

Holland haven't won squat in a very long time and Spain, who are probably the best team in the world right now, have waited a century for a team to actually achieve its potential.

But tugay had vision, if he could be trained and developed into a good coach then perhaps he could pass that on?

Whilst so much of what you say I agree with, I believe vision cannot be taught, that is inbuilt, Vision is spontaneous, I dont think you could really show taht, you have it or you havent, however skills, passing etc can be coached and Tugay was a master at passing!!

On coaching, I wonder why no one ever got Dave Thomas to coach lads how to cross a ball? maybe a role here for Beckham when he finishes playing!!!

Archived