BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Happened To Our Youth?

Amo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to tempt fate, but as we're currently 2-0 up against Man U with about 20 mins left should we start getting a tad excited about this youth team - or are they just having a lucky run?

And they won 3-0! Guy sitting in front of me seemed to know a lot about the Utd team and said this was the worst lot they'd had through in a long time. He was also very cheesed off that 2 of the better Rovers players had previously been at Utd and been released by them. Lads played well tonight - much better than against Leyton Orient.

I know one of those lads is Potts not sure who the other one is though. To be honest not sure it is their worst side, that Pogba is the one they snatched from somewhere and they were almost in deep cr*p about it, they've signed a few others from other teams.

To call it a lucky run is probably unfair really Scotty, top of the league shows some good form.

I know one of those lads is Potts not sure who the other one is though. To be honest not sure it is their worst side, that Pogba is the one they snatched from somewhere and they were almost in deep cr*p about it, they've signed a few others from other teams.

To call it a lucky run is probably unfair really Scotty, top of the league shows some good form.

He didn't say they were the worst players - just that it was the worst group in terms of performance and meeting expectations I suppose. As he said Utd get the pick of youngsters and so should be able to put out a team to beat most other teams. did say Everton are very good atm

1959 although we reached a Final and got hammered by Arsenal about eight years ago.

I remember going to Goodison Park about 12 years ago for a second leg of a youth cup game. Was that a semi-final? I think we had the likes of Dunn, Duff, Hamilton and Everton had Cadamarteri, Jevons etc.

EDIT: No Duff, but Francis Jeffers and Richard Dunne played for Everton.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-solace-for-everton-in-youth-cup-glory-1160798.html

Dunn and Hamilton were the pick of that bunch. Hamilton looked destined for stardom, scored in every round of the cup that year.

Would I be correct in suggesting most of our academy lads are local, while Utd have assembled other teams youths and therefore DON'T have much of an academy, but merely a good youth side? Nowhere near? Halfway?

Quite a few of United's lads are local up till about the under 18's where they bring some foreign lads in.

Ours is a mix really- Phil Jones is a Preston lad. But we have brought a couple from UK clubs also, Banton-Arsenal, Evans-Man CIty, Potts-United. But as usual with our academy we have a few Irish lads, we also have a few Scots and even a lad from Austria!

When was the last time we won the league or the FA Youth Cup?

Ive heard Potts is the pick of the lot or am I mistaken?

Probably the two best lads are Banton and Potts, Banton is probably thr more likely to make it from the two as Potts is a bit small but he is a good player and hopefully his height won't be held against him

Probably the two best lads are Banton and Potts, Banton is probably thr more likely to make it from the two as Potts is a bit small but he is a good player and hopefully his height won't be held against him

Doubt it will. There have been some midget worldies. From Alan Ball to Maradona to Dickov ;)

1959 although we reached a Final and got hammered by Arsenal about eight years ago.

That youth team contained Mike England, Fred Pickering and Keith Newton all top players and internationals!!

Quite a few of United's lads are local up till about the under 18's where they bring some foreign lads in.

Ours is a mix really- Phil Jones is a Preston lad. But we have brought a couple from UK clubs also, Banton-Arsenal, Evans-Man CIty, Potts-United. But as usual with our academy we have a few Irish lads, we also have a few Scots and even a lad from Austria!

I have only seen him once, but at 16, Jackson Ramm looks excellent, so much time on the ball, strong for his age too and is playing reserve team football!

Archived