BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final Match Preview

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pitifully low ticket sales so far. I know there are 6 days until the game but it looks like a home turnout even lower than the Chelsea game at the moment.

Jack would turn in his grave if he knew what a fickle, spoon fed bunch most Rovers fans are. The semi final of a major cup competition and this is how his investment is repaid. Embarrasing. In my days of going to places like Colchester, Carlisle, Leyton Orient, Bury, Rochdale and Bristol Rovers, I would have given my right arm to be in this position. It's a wonder John Williams and the Board don't call it a day. Unbelievable.

Its only £15 for a Semi-final ticket,two games away from Wembley!

cant get my head round these low sales to date.....home attendances have been on the increase too!

Nowt as strange as Rovers fans,will look shocking infront of an expectant Tv nation.

you cant get your head round people are fed up of watching that shocking example of football? you need your head checking then

you cant get your head round people are fed up of watching that shocking example of football? you need your head checking then

No YOU need your head checking - its the semi final of a cup, the next round after we knocked out Chelsea.....£15 for a Semi Final is peanuts and there are no excuses - unless of course they have some ironing or something to do!!

Jack would turn in his grave if he knew what a fickle, spoon fed bunch most Rovers fans are. The semi final of a major cup competition and this is how his investment is repaid. Embarrasing. In my days of going to places like Colchester, Carlisle, Leyton Orient, Bury, Rochdale and Bristol Rovers, I would have given my right arm to be in this position. It's a wonder John Williams and the Board don't call it a day. Unbelievable.

Got to agree CLB, the complacency of many fans is unreal, a small town club without a pot to p*** in yet we qualify for ANOTHER semi final!

If relegation happens and we follow the Reading, Charlton, Middlesbrough route we'll look back in disbelief that a lot of our fans couldn't be arsed with a cup semi final.

OR maybe it could have something to do with it being a weeknight and ALOT of people have work early the next day. and dont schools go back around then as well? (or just after should i say)

the ticket sales will pick up, we have only just had christmas ffs and new year is 25hrs and 55 min away.

I'm coming up from London for this.

Is there *any* chance of Dunn playing? :/ I'm hoping we can sneak a 1-0 and by the time the second leg comes around, we'll just cancel them out at their place.

I'd have to think so. With Dunn and Sam both at the stage they are in their careers, this is a huge chance for them to win some silverware.

OR maybe it could have something to do with it being a weeknight and ALOT of people have work early the next day. and dont schools go back around then as well? (or just after should i say)

the ticket sales will pick up, we have only just had christmas ffs and new year is 25hrs and 55 min away.

My 8 year old goes back to school that day, he's coming to the semi final. He might never get another chance. He also watched us beat Chelsea.

My 8 year old goes back to school that day, he's coming to the semi final. He might never get another chance. He also watched us beat Chelsea.

That's half of the problem StuWilky. Too many people expect semi finals to be coming up every other year nowadays cos we've been that well blessed with them this decade.

They don't appreciate that previously we had gone about 30 odd years without one. Prior to the league cup in 1993 was the previous semi appearance in 1960?

Too many people around Rovers now are spoon fed the good times and think that football should always be top half of the Premiership table and in cup semi's.

I can't believe people are choosing not to attend this for no other reason than our current form/style. Yes I know the football is poor at the moment and we do look a bad side. We also know that there is a chance that for one reason or another the future for Rovers may take a turn for the worse. Should that not make us cherish these two games against Villa more???

Doesn't matter if we were bottom of the league with two goals scored all season, a cup semi-final should away excite you as a fan of the club. It's not about expecting great football, it's about being a part of another great moment in the club's history, and for us qualifying for a cup final, be it the League cup, is just that. Very rarely are we going to be one of the last 4 teams in a competition. If we can't enjoy this, what's the point really?

Doesn't matter if we were bottom of the league with two goals scored all season, a cup semi-final should away excite you as a fan of the club. It's not about expecting great football, it's about being a part of another great moment in the club's history, and for us qualifying for a cup final, be it the League cup, is just that. Very rarely are we going to be one of the last 4 teams in a competition. If we can't enjoy this, what's the point really?

Tell me what there will be to enjoy on a freezing Tuesday night with our recent performances against a very good Villa team.

I will be there - just saying people are slowly but surely getting fed up of it, hence the boos practically every home game or are you exempt from them?

So who's going to be buying a ticket for the second leg before the first game?

The last time I did that, Sheff Wed put five past us in the first leg at home.

Must admit im not - im going to wait - but its for a genuine reason. 2 Season ticket holders & 2 extras, so I need to wait for general sale.

I bet alot dont buy purely based on the 1st game not being played yet and not knowing the result.

Il be at both no matter what, as its a Semi Final of a cup & we have a great chance to progress!

Tell me what there will be to enjoy on a freezing Tuesday night with our recent performances against a very good Villa team.

I will be there - just saying people are slowly but surely getting fed up of it, hence the boos practically every home game or are you exempt from them?

The £10 spent on the last round against Chelsea was probably the best value for money match you will see. All rovers fans should get to Ewood and cheer the team on to the final. There are no guarantees on what type of match it will be.

Regardless of current form/performances fans should be supporting the boys through what could be two great games at Ewood then at Villa Park. How exciting was it back in the 80's when we took Villa to an FA Cup replay at their place with an Andy Kennedy wonder goal setting the scene for a grewat night (although we lost). That is what cup football and dreams are made of. I thought we would get trounced by Chelsea but there was an element of a care free game with football doing the talking. That is what we have to beleive will be on display against Villa and will take us to Wembley. We are the underdogs for these games and I think that will be in Rovers favour. If it is not a near sell out it will be embarassing for us.

COYB

Talking to a lady last night, who had been down to the ticket office yesterday, with all her family to get tickets - and the T.O was closed. Lots of people milling around outside finding they couldn't get a ticket either.

Talking to a lady last night, who had been down to the ticket office yesterday, with all her family to get tickets - and the T.O was closed. Lots of people milling around outside finding they couldn't get a ticket either.

The website and programme does say that the ticket office closed at 12.30 yesterday.

Interesting that we've not sold that many tickets. If it was a normal league match or an earlier round of the cup, I could totally understand it. The football hasn't been great of late, we haven't won in ages, midweek games are generally harder to get to, and it falls right after Christmas. Oh, and on paper we're against a better team.

BUT

This is our best shot of a trophy in years. After all it's Villa not Brazil. I cannot think of any Rovers fan who isn't excited at the prospect at seeing us lift a trophy, who isn't excited about a trip to wembly, who didn't think that winning the league, getting promoted, winning the league cup weren't flipping fantastic, who didn't enjoy the magical european nights at ewood. Heck, it's what being a football fan is all about, it's what we want to see.

(Granted we're there through the bad too, but to an extent that's just waiting for the good times; be it a win, a good run in the cup or league, or a trophy. )

And the more I look on the permier league and the way football is going at present, the more and more I am convinced that there'll be less good times for rovers. Money talks. You only need to look at the cost of a trophy for portsmouth to realise how much of an inbalance there is. I've a sinking feeling that as time goes on our chances of trophys will become increasingly remote.

With this in mind I'll be there on Tuesday. I'd kick myself if I missed out. The trip back to Carlisle won't be fun (hoping a win makes it easier) being in work the next morning will be harder then usual, but this could be the last time I cheer on the blues to a final. I'd be gutted if I missed out on the good times.

I didn't go to the Chelsea game (I'm one of the many season ticket holders who regretably didn't bother), but I'll be going the Villa game and will get tickets on the night. Perhaps many others will get them on the day too...

Archived