BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final Match Preview

Sam, we have good players and bad ones. To suceed my advice is pick the good ones. Forget tactics, pick the best 11 and then work out the formation.

NEVER EVER PICK

Selgado, Pedersen, Diouf, Roberts,

NEVER START WITH

Andrews, Grella, Reid, Ritgeors.

Graham got to disagree with you at this moment in time about never ever picking Salgado, Pedersen and Roberts only because of the quality in the rest of the squad.

Going into this game it seems Allardyce has put all his eggs into one basket, a big risk.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far from being a make-or-break game for Sam's reign at Rovers, he will need to get a big performance out of the lads. Villa be favourites over the two legs, but we need to compete and play to our strengths. I'm somewhat tempted to see us play 4-3-3 as we did against Chelsea and take the game to Villa. I also think Hoilett should be a start to counter the pace Villa will be throwing at us.

I think that the first leg will decide it all for us.

Win comprehensively and we have a chance. Draw or lose and its over for us.

With that in mind, Id consider risking it with a 4-3-3 as well, with Junior on one wing, Kalinic a definite starter and maybe Benni playing off the other wing. Id keep Dunn, Emerton (if fit) and Nzonzi in midfield. The defence picks itself.

If we decide to go 4-4-2, Id possibly go with the same 11 but re-arrange their positions.

• Backroom

I'd agree with Bobby, screw this 0-0 and scrape a goal stuff we need to attack them.

Similar line up as vs Chelsea but throw in Dunny and Di Santo somewhere

Our main tactic in this game should be to get Dunne sent off.

It's not difficult. We've done it plenty of times before.

If Friedel plays bombard the box with crosses 6 yards from goal.

If Warnock plays hit the ball down his goal side again and again until he either makes a mistake on his right foot or gives away a penalty.

We should know these things.

No matter how few tickets we sell for this one, Rovers fans will be hard-pressed to re-create the funereal-like 'atmosphere' the home fans managed at the morgue-like Villa Park yesterday.

No matter how few tickets we sell for this one, Rovers fans will be hard-pressed to re-create the funereal-like 'atmosphere' the home fans managed at the morgue-like Villa Park yesterday.

How excited were we supposed to get for a glorified training session?

No confidence whatsoever that we will beat Villa, especially over two legs. Villa have their flaws (highly dependant on the counter attack, often play long ball punts and rely on the pace of Agbonlawhore and the diver Young). Despite these flaws i just don't think we have the quality to really trouble them.

I can't afford to go and not sure i would go if i could afford it. Just plain sick and tired of no passion by the team and plenty of over paid prima donnas that offer nothing. This has to be one of the most impotent Rovers sides in years, completely toothless.

Posted this on the wrong thread...... :blush:

Must admit I'm considering not going on Tuesday, not because of money, not because of work, but because the football is just cr@p and far to many of the current crop of players are just not putting in the effort.

You pay your money to be entertained and if that isn’t happening you can adopt the position:

“Well at least they’re trying, even though we’re not good enough” but even this isn't happening....

Simply the dross served up so far this season, Burnley game apart, has been extremely poor on the whole, the worst I’ve seen in many years. I’m not sure I want to pay £50, rush home from work and get down to ewood to witness another lacklustre display from players who don’t give a toss, and a manager who just isn’t up to the job at the moment.

This is from someone who back in the 80's would have given a couple of limbs to reach a cup semi final.

No confidence whatsoever that we will beat Villa, especially over two legs. Villa have their flaws (highly dependant on the counter attack, often play long ball punts and rely on the pace of Agbonlawhore and the diver Young). Despite these flaws i just don't think we have the quality to really trouble them.

I can't afford to go and not sure i would go if i could afford it. Just plain sick and tired of no passion by the team and plenty of over paid prima donnas that offer nothing. This has to be one of the most impotent Rovers sides in years, completely toothless.

Not to point out the obvious but we did manage to beat them at Ewood earlier this season and put in an outstanding performance to boot.

We also beat Chelsea in the quarter final with an excellent performance also described by many "the best £10 ever spent at Ewood".

This is all part of the 'dross' we have been served up this season. Plenty of low points of course, but quite a few high points as well. It is a matter of which way you want to look at it.

Not to point out the obvious but we did manage to beat them at Ewood earlier this season and put in an outstanding performance to boot.

We also beat Chelsea in the quarter final with an excellent performance also described by many "the best £10 ever spent at Ewood".

This is all part of the 'dross' we have been served up this season. Plenty of low points of course, but quite a few high points as well. It is a matter of which way you want to look at it.

A few high points but by far the majority have been very low, you can probably count the high points on one hand. Its all open to opinion, what i see is a side with no passion, no creativity, no goals. Rovers may beat Villa, you can't rule it out, its far more likely going off current form and how poor we are that this tie will be finished in the first leg.

As looking forward to this game as I am, I just dont see goals being scored in this leg, certainly not in the Villa net unless Rovers can come up with some creativity.

For me, and its just my view, Rovers have to achieve a 2 goal cushion if they hope to progress to Wembley. In trying to win the game, say 2-0, Rovers will have to be up for it, take the limited amount of chances that come their way and then defend to the death. I just dont see Villa coming to Ewood to win, they are more likley to be defensive and will hope to win the game at Villa Park.

Its going to be tight, maybe the tightest of all the semi finals we have been involved in in the pat 15 years, and there have been some.

Rovers need a talisman in their side. I just dont see one at the moment. Maybe it can be McCarthy, Maybe it can be Kalinic, it might even be a player such as Andrews, I just dont know.

One thing is for sure. Should Rovers not turn up it will be a significant blow to the morale within the club. I do not want to see Villa overrun us but for me, they have far and away the better players to come to Ewood and take the result they crave rather than we have going to Villa in the second leg.

Archived