BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll Time - Rovers 12 Months Under Big Sam

Guest Kamy100

450 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the direction that the club is heading under the management of Sam Allardyce 12 months on?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure Either Way At The Moment

It's not just an issue of Sam's teams playing 'ugly football' (though God knows its depressing as hell watching Robbo/Samba/Nelsen punt the ball forward in the hope of winning a set piece, and that's our sole tactic!), it's also his waste of the resources available to him:

1. Stubbornly continuing to play one striker, even when its clearly not working and in effect takes that player out of the game.
  2. Weird substitutions which sometimes seem designed purely to remind the fans who's in charge.
  3. Bringing in players we don't need (Salgado) or offering them new contracts (Andrews) yet still complaining he has no funds to work with!
  4. A pretty cack-handed January transfer window, which has weakened the squad (unless Basturk proves to be more Tugay than Vogel).

Of course he's better than Ince - that was a nightmare appointment from day one - but in comparison to Hughes it's an almighty step backwards. And Sam is so infuriatingly stubborn & arrogant he never seems to learn from his mistakes, which just intensifies the frustration.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A pretty cack-handed January transfer window, which has weakened the squad (unless Basturk proves to be more Tugay than Vogel).

Actually, I think he did the squad a favor when he sold Van Heerden, Treacy and Benni. We saved money on wages (which is necessary if we don't want a repeat of what happened with the Warnock monies) and unloaded some players who weren't justifying their wages. A trend I expect to see continued this summer and next.

I am pretty happy, whilst I am not his biggest fan in playing style I think it will improve as the squad is rebuilt. I think that Sam can certainly get us into a position for European spots over the next two years but with a club like ours it should work in 5 year cycles.

We were lucky to have Hughes and we may get him back again one day but out of all the managers that would come to us and do a job to finish us mid table, as much as it pains me, I think Sam is the man.

It's not just an issue of Sam's teams playing 'ugly football' (though God knows its depressing as hell watching Robbo/Samba/Nelsen punt the ball forward in the hope of winning a set piece, and that's our sole tactic!), it's also his waste of the resources available to him:

1. Stubbornly continuing to play one striker, even when its clearly not working and in effect takes that player out of the game.
  2. Weird substitutions which sometimes seem designed purely to remind the fans who's in charge.
  3. Bringing in players we don't need (Salgado) or offering them new contracts (Andrews) yet still complaining he has no funds to work with!
  4. A pretty cack-handed January transfer window, which has weakened the squad (unless Basturk proves to be more Tugay than Vogel).

Of course he's better than Ince - that was a nightmare appointment from day one - but in comparison to Hughes it's an almighty step backwards. And Sam is so infuriatingly stubborn & arrogant he never seems to learn from his mistakes, which just intensifies the frustration.

1.) How many of our matches have we won with 2 up front? I'd bet the vast majority of our wins have come with 1 up front. I'm struggling to think of any time we've actually played with 2 men up front given that when McCarthy was in the lineup we actually played a 4-4-1-1.

2.) Weird substitutions like what? Most substitutions that he's made have actually worked. People were baffled at him bringing Roberts and Andrews on last game, but Roberts created a chance within minutes of coming on as opposed to Kalinic who was ineffectual for much of the game and Andrews was a big improvement on Emerton who was virtually invisible. Also, I'll point my finger towards the substitutions made at Portsmouth.

3.) Andrews was promised a new contract if he played well last season, which he did, so was rewarded with a new contract. Everyone would like to see him go, but we have no idea how much he is being paid and it could be very miniscule compared to the rest of the squad and thus an excellent option for us. Salgado was brought in on a free, we can't really complain that much when a player comes on a free, big wages or not. Honestly, I think he just hasn't been given enough of a chance because we already have Chimbonda and Jacobsen who have been in good form at right back.

4.) Refer to my post in the "Sam's Targets" thread in reference to the January transfer window. It's a good thing we didn't get too involved and neither did a lot of clubs.

His waste of resources available to him? Please. He has so little to use that if he was wasting it we'd be near Portsmouth level. It's silly talking about him wasting resources when none of us know what EXACTLY is available to him.

We have clearly played our best football under Allardyce when we have opened ourselves up a bit and played the ball more on the ground; our team is more suited to it and we get results that way. Despite this fact he generally favours playing the long ball tactic and a rigid 4-5-1 where we generally totally bypass the midfield. Many will counter this by saying that we don't have the necessary talent in midfield required to required to play a more controlled passing game, but I disagree and results support that belief.

As for it being good that we didn't get too involved? Only because our manager failed to come up with an interesting target. Had we looked abroad or even to the lower leagues we might have found a relatively inexpensive striker or midfielder worth taking a punt on, as it is the majority of supporters feel a sense of relief, not because there were no players available who could have improved the squad, but because we were looking to sign players who clearly wouldn't have (Beattie, Benjani, Dindane). Had we signed Moses or Moreno today I think the general feeling would have been a bit different. Funny how Wigan have managed to do that and yet we looked at the usual suspects?

Maybe Basturk will be a good move, Allardyce better hope so. If he isn't a success then Allardyce's transfer dealings for us look decidedly average at best, particularly if Benni knocks in a few goals for West Ham.

With regards to Andrews, I don't really have a problem with him. He's a squad man and does a decent job. My only problem is that Fulham were supposed to have been interested last summer and offered a decent amount and yet we didn't take it.

This summer will be huge for Allardyce and the future of this football club. If he doesn't get his scouts to produce a seriously impressive shortlist then we are in trouble. Let's not be waiting to see who other clubs move for. Let's not be waiting to see how much exactly how much we get for our players. Know your budget, know your targets and make a plan.

I think generally it did Cali. Sam was able to bring in some more creative players such as Okocha and Djorkaeff. This was well before the likes of Anelka turned up. Speed worked well with Nolan, Hierro, Campo. All good passers throughout the spine of the team. They were a pretty attacking side.

However they also had Davies to boot it up to and they used to be as rough can be. That part of them was there and it was why the likes of Arsene Wenger hated going to Bolton so much.

Allardyce signed a shedload of players. Some came off spectacularly while others were appalling.

Promotion, prem survival for 2 seasons and then 4 top ten finishes with a cup final and a couple of European qualifications. Bit of a golden period for Bolton but even there he had his fans and also a few who didn't like him or his style.

Sam, like Souness before him, really does attract passionate debate among his supporters and his detractors.

OK you've listed what you think are his weaknesses. Now what about telling us of his successes? Or are you one-dimensional?

The problem is this so-called "Premier" League we're playing in. Every manager, apart from the select rich few at the top, has simply one aim - not to be in the bottom three at the end of the season. If you said to every manager from Birmingham downwards - that's 13 of the 20 teams - you don't need to play any more games from now on and we'll guarantee you Premier League survival, they'd probably all take it. What a farce that is. Entertainment for the fans is the very last item on the agenda, just points, points, points irrespective of how you get them. We, the fans, have now also got to the stage where winning and drawing ugly is far far better than playing really good attractive attacking football and losing. So is it really Sam's fault if he plays 4-5-1, 8-1-1, builds a wall in between the posts at the Blackburn End, anything to keep us in the league ? At the end of the season if we finish above the bottom three he'll take that as a success, and who's to blame him ?

I live north of Inverness in Scotland, a 14 hour round trip to Ewood, have worked Saturday mornings for the last 25 years, and so sad to say I've been to very few Rovers games live, but judging by the reactions of most people on here I haven't missed much. I watch Ross County with just 2000 others in the Scottish First Division. Every home game we see young guys, who earn less than many of us here on this noticeboard, trying to play good attractive football - it's actually enjoyable and entertaining to watch. Seems to me "fun and enjoyment" are rare commodities in the Premier League these days. Pity.

We have clearly played our best football under Allardyce when we have opened ourselves up a bit and played the ball more on the ground; our team is more suited to it and we get results that way. Despite this fact he generally favours playing the long ball tactic and a rigid 4-5-1 where we generally totally bypass the midfield. Many will counter this by saying that we don't have the necessary talent in midfield required to required to play a more controlled passing game, but I disagree and results support that belief.

I'm sure that most will agree that the single biggest criticism of our team by the supporters last season was the slow build up play. How many times have I read opinions that we need pace? :rolleyes:

There is no quicker way of moving a ball forward than by playing than a long pass. Fact

The slow build up has been rectified what we need now is 3/4 out of the 5 man midfield who can react quickly enough to cover ground quickly enough in support of a lone striker. That is the key. Intricate football played on the ground needs to be played in and around the opposition pen area... not in our half of the pitch! Remember that was Paul Ince's suicidal trademark.

Apart from the keeper every member of a team should be between one third and one half (at the extreme) of the pitch. Our midfield players straggle along too often ball watching when they should be either sprinting up to get in support of the CF or chasing back staying goal side of the ball. Dunny in particular gets dragged too far back on occasion for a support striker.

I'm sure that most will agree that the single biggest criticism of our team by the supporters last season was the slow build up play. How many times have I read opinions that we need pace? :rolleyes:

There is no quicker way of moving a ball forward than by playing than a long pass. Fact

Isn't a pass where one player kicks a ball and it travels to the head, chest or foot of another player where they can then control it?

Whereas what you might actually be thinking of is a punt?

Isn't a pass where one player kicks a ball and it travels to the head, chest or foot of another player where they can then control it?

Yes it is.

Our long ball, big hoof tactics remind me of playing Texas Holdem. Robinson's massive hoof is like going all in with a 7 and 9 of spades. The majority of the time, it will be easily matched and beaten.

:rover: why not :angry2::brfcsmilie:

'Cos you don't follow the Rovers... :blink:

It's not what we're used to, but we have been spoilt in recent years.

However, we are 10th in the league table of the best league in the world. Not bad for a small town.

Rather a smarmy tone to your answer. <_<

There is a %age of ale house passes I grant you. Just as there is with most teams. Dunne and Collins were using up their quota against us recently when they were under pressure, and rightly so. Corner flag balls, big boots or even Row Z is not exclusive to Nelsen, Samba and BRFC I can assure you.

Basically you and others are on a mud slinging campaign so there is not much point trying to discuss anything sensible with any of you is there? Truth is you and EiT would need a satnav to even find Ewood park whilst waggy can be found leaning on a bar in Rishton. I think BRFC could easily manage without the lot of you. Your brand of shallow sneering support is definitely expendable.

:rover: so who do i follow,you don't see me watching bumley or notlob like some on here :wacko::brfcsmilie:

We don't see you at Ewood, that's the point. You don't follow the club, just the results hoping for us to lose so Sam will lose his job. Every time there is a dodgy result or Rovers fail to take advantage of a team your on here with the same old 'I told you so, Lardarse out' comments. They're really boring now.

Are you going to Stoke on Saturday? Are you going to the Hull game on Wednesday? If more like you actually went to games the club would have more money in the coffers. So instead of blaming Sam for Rovers not competing ion the transfer market start at blaming yourself and others like you.

We were 13th under Kidd at around this time and didn't even come close to staying up. Let's see where we finish before hanging out the bunting and ordering the parade

Very precise. 3/2/99 we were 17th with 22 points, 2 points above the drop zone. So we were not in a similar position at all.

Today is 2/2/10 and we are in 10th position with 28 points, 8 points above the drop zone.

Nobody is hanging out bunting, we are just happy to be in the position we are in. Anybody would think we were rooted to the foot of the table and dead certs for relegation from some of these posts.

Archived