BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Megson Sacked, Coyle Takes Over

meerkat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zulu makes some valid points but Rovers did have a better selection to chose from than Bolton did when we both parted with managers a little over twelve months ago.

Who were the contenders again?

All pretty shyte from memory.....

Who were the contenders again?

All pretty shyte from memory.....

Allardyce, Henk Ten Cate, Wolly with the Brolly Mclaren, Martin Jol's name was mentioned, Mancini was mentioned, Curbishly and O Leary were also in there. To be fair, there was some good contenders like Mancini and Jol, who would have been great had we the money needed to spend on players. Allardyce was chosen, because he worked under similar circumstances at Notlob.

Long odds on on Betfair now. 1.66 (4/7)

Is it true Nicko, Coyle is on his way ?

Owen is on his way to MK Dons as we speak.

I can't comment on anything else.

Apart from anything else it would give old Scotty the vapours if I did... :lol:

Owen is on his way to MK Dons as we speak.

I can't comment on anything else.

Apart from anything else it would give old Scotty the vapours if I did... :lol:

No surprise Bolton want him. It was Gartside who recommended him to the Burnley board.

Big surprise if he left. Massive gamble for him and not exactly a huge step up.

Allardyce, Henk Ten Cate, Wolly with the Brolly Mclaren, Martin Jol's name was mentioned, Mancini was mentioned, Curbishly and O Leary were also in there. To be fair, there was some good contenders like Mancini and Jol, who would have been great had we the money needed to spend on players. Allardyce was chosen, because he worked under similar circumstances at Notlob.

You were never going to get Mancini or Jol, despite what you may think. It ended up that Allardyce was pretty much your only decent option. Allardyce delivered for you, by the way. You were nailed on for relegation prior to him arriving and you did not go down. You are a better side now than you were then too. Allardyce achieved this within a limited budget - and your budget is not going to increase any time soon.

My point is that, were Allardyce to leave you now for whatever reason, your list of replacements would be virtually identical to ours. I accept that you may not consider Coyle, due to his Burnley connections. we have an attraction to him, and for him, due to the successful time he had at Bolton as a player - and he does like the club and its supporters. (Not sure that that will swing it though!)

Mancini was interviewed by Rovers who picked Big Sam instead.

It's a funny old game.

Do you think Mancini would have been successful at Blackburn, Nicko? (Or Bolton, Wigan or Burnley for that matter). I don't. All four of those clubs have similar budgetary issues and you have to go with the right guy. I believe that Rovers made the right choice in Allardyce, given the circumstances.

You were never going to get Mancini or Jol, despite what you may think. It ended up that Allardyce was pretty much your only decent option. Allardyce delivered for you, by the way. You were nailed on for relegation prior to him arriving and you did not go down. You are a better side now than you were then too. Allardyce achieved this within a limited budget - and your budget is not going to increase any time soon.

My point is that, were Allardyce to leave you now for whatever reason, your list of replacements would be virtually identical to ours. I accept that you may not consider Coyle, due to his Burnley connections. we have an attraction to him, and for him, due to the successful time he had at Bolton as a player - and he does like the club and its supporters. (Not sure that that will swing it though!)

As far as i can remember, Mancini was interviewed but Allardyce was chosen because of a limited budget.

Do you think Mancini would have been successful at Blackburn, Nicko? (Or Bolton, Wigan or Burnley for that matter). I don't. All four of those clubs have similar budgetary issues and you have to go with the right guy. I believe that Rovers made the right choice in Allardyce, given the circumstances.

He was successful with Fiorentina and financially crippled Lazio.

There is a lot of truth in that. He would not have known the Premier League's drop zone this time last year and that would have been fatal.

Like him or dislike him, Big Sam knew that task and turned it round.

So - for that reason alone - he was the right choice.

No, but let us know how Peter Reid turns out.

Way to go on that one yet, I suspect. I'm not saying it won't happen. Having said that, being a close personal friend of Sam may not endear him to Gartside, if the stories are true.

Why exactly are Sam and Gartside at odds? It looks as if Sam did a good job at Bolton, so why would Gartside be upset with him?

Well it's all "allegedly" and may be taken with a pinch of salt. Stories abound that the final parting was anything but amicable and it got very personal. Families close prior to his departure and major fallings out at the end - so they say.

• Backroom

Suprised Coyle is still even bing mentioned would be daft of him to consider it. He stands a good cahnce of keeping the dingles up thus making him a much more appealing prospect for others in the future. Doubt he'll be interested.

Suprised Coyle is still even bing mentioned would be daft of him to consider it. He stands a good cahnce of keeping the dingles up thus making him a much more appealing prospect for others in the future. Doubt he'll be interested.

He'll be interested. If Burnley allow Bolton (armed with a compensation cheque) to talk to him he will take the job - nowt more certain. If they don't, it won't happen.

But make no mistake, with Allardyce you win first and entertain second. I've got no problems at all with that.

Appreciate I'm a day late but I don't full agree with that bit.

Allardyce goes for a clean sheet first, a goal second, a draw third, and a win fourth.

Entertainment isn't on his list at all.

Thing about that...you have to win.

I think everyone on here would take 60 boring points from a season, but if you're going the football by numbers route then you need the league position to back it up. If we're just going to finish 10-15th then quite frankly the ends don't justify the means.

Thing about that...you have to win.

I think everyone on here would take 60 boring points from a season, but if you're going the football by numbers route then you need the league position to back it up. If we're just going to finish 10-15th then quite frankly the ends don't justify the means.

Correct. I made this same point the other day, with reference to George Graham and Mourinho.

He'll be interested. If Burnley allow Bolton (armed with a compensation cheque) to talk to him he will take the job - nowt more certain. If they don't, it won't happen.

You sure? To be honest he seems comfortable at Burnley and has a long term plan. Bolton at the moment do not seem like much of a better bet unless you have considerable transfer funds which I think you don't?

If I was him I would fancy a wait until someone became available with decent financial capital behind them.

You sure? To be honest he seems comfortable at Burnley and has a long term plan. Bolton at the moment do not seem like much of a better bet unless you have considerable transfer funds which I think you don't?

If I was him I would fancy a wait until someone became available with decent financial capital behind them.

Maybe. Time will tell.

Coyle 2/5 on with bet 365 :D

Can't see him going, even though he's apparently not to happy that Kilby won't pay for Nugent.

If nothing else its giving a few of them lot sleepless nights :tu:

Archived