BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ps3 Or Xbox 360

If you are mainly interested in sports and raqcing games you wont be let down by either system. 360 has forza 3 exclusive and ps3 has gran turismo exclusive plus there is a large array of racing titles available for both systems.

Take note that if you want to play online you have to pay for it on the 360 where as its free on the ps3. However, some would argue that the experience is superior on the 360 because of this.

I have a ps3 and and xbox and I prefer the ps3 due to the fact that it is free online has a blueray player and is very quiet, the fact that most games that come out now have some kind of online content i have to say that as well as being free online it actually has a wireless connectivity for free as the xbox you have to pay like £50.00 for the wireless connecter.

Also with my xbox i have had to return it to be fixed twice now in first year while my ps3 has been ok.

Have look at the games see what you like, in terms of games the xbox will have more but it all comes down to what you fancy, good luck choosing.

It's only £2.08 a month for XBox live if you buy a 12 month pass.

Having said that, I'm still buying a PS3 in the next week or so. I've played on both quite a lot and I think the extra features on the PS3 are worth paying extra for (notably Blu Ray).

Having said that, I was tempted by the £120 360 Arcade + 3 games deal. Very tempted.

I have been building and playing around with pcs for quite some time now and when my friends xbox got the red ring of death he asked me to take a look at it as I had a bit of hardware know how I looked into it a bit and opened it up i was amazed at what the problem was.

I dont know if the new xbox's have a revised heat extraction unit but the problem was the standard x clamp that fits the heatsink over the cpu just wasnt pressed tightly enough and you had no way of tightening this up to stop the xbox overheating, so you have to replace it with standard bolts which you can tighten up to the max, I did this fix to my mates xbox as he got the red ring of death roughly 16 months ago and still runs smooth to this day although he bought his son 1 last xmas and that overheated within 9 months and i have had to fix that too.

I cant comment on the PS3 as i havent opened one of them up yet but i know both consoles are prone to overheating, if you hammer games as much as most people do then do a bit of research into the red ring of death on the xbox or the yellow ring of death on the ps3.

Both are common faults which show bad design in how they were built and to what purpose, a guy playing a normal game may only play for a few hours and turn it off but when they make the games multiplayer like the pc, people tend to spend hours on end playing it hence the reason gaming pc's are covered in fans to stop the system from overheating.

Do a bit of research before you blow your dough onto something you may not be happy with in 2 months time.

The xbox ring of death is FAR more common.

Iv had my PS3 since the day it came out, and it gets played for hours at a time - No problems so far, touch wood!

Although conversly, I've had my xbox since Feb 2006 (wow is it really nearly 4 years since they came out!) and have not had a single overheat. Just to add balance.

I would say, if you want a console that is also a media player then get the PS3. The xbox is just far too noisy for anything other than gaming. But for gaming, the Arcade is a very cheap option.

Wonder how long its going to be before the next next gen come out?

Although conversly, I've had my xbox since Feb 2006 (wow is it really nearly 4 years since they came out!) and have not had a single overheat. Just to add balance.

I would say, if you want a console that is also a media player then get the PS3. The xbox is just far too noisy for anything other than gaming. But for gaming, the Arcade is a very cheap option.

Wonder how long its going to be before the next next gen come out?

2014 I've heard. I wonder if 3D can be worked in somewhere?

ps4 will be around 2016.

the ylod only really appears on the 60 gigmodle, but iv not heard anything on the slim. had my 60gb since launch and not had a single problem. i belive ylod is due to the solder menting, but sony say it can be multipule things

Cant see PS4 taking 6 years to come - more likely to be around 2012

There lot suggest 2011-12

Would make more sense for games to be downloadable - rather than on a disc.

Hopefully they can stick 3D in there too as the latest laptops are now starting to hit the shelves with the capability.

Cant see PS4 taking 6 years to come - more likely to be around 2012

There lot suggest 2011-12

Would make more sense for games to be downloadable - rather than on a disc.

Hopefully they can stick 3D in there too as the latest laptops are now starting to hit the shelves with the capability.

You do know that they are sticking 3D on the PS3 dont you?

Clearly not - whens that?

Click

The Blu-ray Disc Association, the entity that plans and manages the format, has announced that the specification for 3D Blu-ray content has been finalised which paves the way for 3D content to be released as from next year.

And the good news is that the Sony Playstation 3, by far the most popular Blu-ray player on the market (and incidentally a top-notch gaming console), will be compatible with the format.

3D Blu-ray disc players will be able to play traditional Blu-ray discs and current Blu-ray disc players will play 3D Blu-ray discs in 2D, all in glorious full HD, 1080p resolution complete with assorted 3D menus and subtitles (ed: arrrgghhh, hopefully no titles looking like Microsoft's Word 3D feature).

The new format uses the Multiview Video Coding (MVC), an addon to the ITU-T H.264 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) codec which extends its compatibility. More importantly perhaps, the 3D format can be used on any 3D screens regardless of technology.

There are a number of questions that remain though; apart from the PS3 will there be other 2D Blu-ray devices that are compatible with 3D and will one Blu-ray disc actually contain two versions of the same footage. Also will there be a back-catalogue of current movies available in 3D at launch?

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2009/12/17/sony-ps3-be-forward-compatible-3d-blu-ray-discs/#ixzz0bHAtoNQV

I am pretty sure they had Gran Turismo running in 3D at some convention earlier this year and it is widely rumoured that 3D gaming will be arriving on PS3 but weather or not a 3D ready tv would be needed I am not sure. 3D gaming is available on PC's I believe so it should be achievable.

I am pretty sure they had Gran Turismo running in 3D at some convention earlier this year and it is widely rumoured that 3D gaming will be arriving on PS3 but weather or not a 3D ready tv would be needed I am not sure. 3D gaming is available on PC's I believe so it should be achievable.

To confirm that yes you would need a 3D telly as well - one of the reasons I still dont have a HD TV

• 2 weeks later...

3D gaming has to be supported by the graphics card. The 3d blueray is just stating that the images will already be processed as a blur(3d when waering the glasses). Nvidia is the only company doing 3D graphics cards and they cost abit(probably not included in either PS3 or xbox 360)not to mention the need for a new tv/monitor.

Also Sony have said they will not be looking at a new console till at least 10 years after the origanal release date.

3D gaming has to be supported by the graphics card. The 3d blueray is just stating that the images will already be processed as a blur(3d when waering the glasses). Nvidia is the only company doing 3D graphics cards and they cost abit(probably not included in either PS3 or xbox 360)not to mention the need for a new tv/monitor.

Also Sony have said they will not be looking at a new console till at least 10 years after the origanal release date.

kind of right, they said the ps3 will be around for 10 years, but like the ps2 it will be phased out when the ps4 arrives, expect to see the ps4 in the next 6 years

kind of right, they said the ps3 will be around for 10 years, but like the ps2 it will be phased out when the ps4 arrives, expect to see the ps4 in the next 6 years

I think they will be looking at a new console in 6 to 9(as in designs and hardware) but release at about the 9th to 12th year as 3d TVs and other advantages in technology are not in the mass production as HD TVs are so most consoles will probably want to take advantages off this.

Also if you add into the equation the recession most of the console manufacturers will probably want to avoid a few years after.

And also a year for game makers to get used to new technology from the consoles

Cannot remember the article but was saying at least a decade minimum

Archived