BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your John Williams

There are alot of very unhappy Rovers fans at the moment, weather it be the Style of Football, Signings or the latest run of results. We have our own opinions so i want to know what people on this board would do if they where John Williams now?? I personally think Stick with Sam he is the right man for the job, my only critisism is spending £6million on a striker when we really needed a creative midfielder. Most people on here seem to have all the answers and can see where SA is going wrong every game so what would you do?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stick with John and stick with Sam. Signing Kalinic seems to be very much in the long term interests of the club.

Having said that, Sam and John need to act. There is a lot of deadwood on the squad that needs to be moved out, pronto. Between the two of them, they can get hold of some decent youngish replacements which should hold the Rovers in good stead over the next few years.

On a strategic level, John and Sam just need to stay up and move some players out come the summer. 2010-2011 should be a much better year.

I would carry on drawing my extremely generous salary and pension until I retire in a few years time.

I have tried until I am blue in the face to get more money out of the Trustees and pointed out to them on numerous occasions that their investment will be worth far less if we are relegated.

What else can I do? Answers on a postcard please.

Yours Sincerely

J. Williams esq.

Should we still be in PL come the summer, which i have no doubt in my mind we will be, Sam needs to look at the squad and get rid of some players that arent pulling their weight. Defence is ok, Midfields terrible, Certain forwards couldnt hit a barn door never mind back of the net.

Dioufy has to go too - waster!!

Only problem is will we have enough money from the deadwood to bring in better players or players willing to earn their weekly cheque and earn the respect of fans not just for one season either

I would carry on drawing my extremely generous salary and pension until I retire in a few years time.

I have tried until I am blue in the face to get more money out of the Trustees and pointed out to them on numerous occasions that their investment will be worth far less if we are relegated.

What else can I do? Answers on a postcard please.

Yours Sincerely

J. Williams esq.

Quite a depressing attitude if that is what he feels like. No point in him being there if he's given up. (Although I might understand if that's how he felt).

If I was JW, I'd continue (for the forseeable future) to let Sam worry about the playing side and be thinking of schemes to bring in more revenue going forward.

And make sure I keep charging a Euromillions ticket to the club every week.

You're you're you're you're you're you're you're you're.

it's not that bloody hard is it?

You have the power, Ricky. Go on, you know you want to.

I would back Sam until the end of the season. To be honest if you look at it dispassionately a League cup semi and 13th in the league is probably slightly ahead of the targets set at the start of the season, even if the assessment is rendered a little deceptive by how tight the division is.

Financial considerations, and sensible chairmanship, means you can't really sack Allardyce until you are at least 3 point adrift in the relegation slots, so I wouldn't even be looking at that as a plausible option now.

Certainly no contract extension for the big man though, and my number one priority would be move the five or six of the deadwood players off the wage bill.

I would continue to make it known to Sam he had my full support and I would look to provide as large a transfer fund as possible without destabalising the finances of the club.This probably means we have to move deadwood first and then sell.

ps. To be honest this seems, from the small bits of info we can get, exactly what JW is doing....

• Backroom

The funny thing is the league is so tight this year that our league position at present could go either way. 13th sounds good but is only 3 points from the drop zone, conversely only a win away from the top half.

..... what people on this board would do if they where John Williams now??

To all the people on this board who type 'where' instead of 'were'(and there are many), here is the past tense of the verb to be:-

I was

You were

He/she/it was

We were

You were

They were

'Where' should be used in these situations.........

Where is my Rovers scarf?

Where did I put my season ticket?

Where can I buy a ticket for the next match?

'Were' should be used in these situations.........

What would people do if they were John Williams now?

We were sat in the Blackburn End.

You were a season ticket holder before me.

What about these.........?

They were where you left them!

Where were you last week?

Were we where we said we were?

....and these..........?

We're where we said we'd be.

Where we are is where we were last season.

Easy :o

After the much needed grammatical instruction, we still have a Chairman in need of advice.

John Williams has a problem in that he has a clearly under-performing manager who probably has far too big an ego to accept any advice and seems either oblivious to supporters' views or determined to take us all on. No doubt any comment about lack of entertainment value gets countered by Sam citing lack of funds and not having the ten additional experts he believes are needed to produce results. JW also has a manager who has seen his role sufficiently flexibly to have been getting involved with things he had no place to be getting into and is used to battling with grade 1 nasty pieces of work in the Chairman's seat which JW clearly is not.

My advice to JW would be to take a deep long breath well away from Ewood and write down the criteria defining the point enough is enough whilst giving some thorough thought to whom he would turn to if an incipient crisis turns into an actual crisis. The Board has to have some very clear measures in place to determine whether Sam is outstaying his welcome. With a much weaker squad, Rovers simply dare not wait until we are 5 points from safety like they did with Ince- a decision which undoubtedly cost the club several millions by being delayed by at least four games more than it should have been. The Man U second stream were beatable in the Carling Cup and the Rovers ended just below a clump of clubs instead of just ahead of them in the final table.

In the meantime he has no alternative to backing Sam day-to-day all he can.

To all the people on this board who type 'where' instead of 'were'(and there are many), here is the past tense of the verb to be:-

I was

You were

He/she/it was

We were

You were

They were

....and these..........?

We were sitting in the Blackburn End---not "sat"!

Anyway, if I were JW I'd get out my begging bowl and set off in the direction of the Ribble Valley. I would tell the Walkers that we had the best manager available but that we've been selling our best players for too long and we need to buy some quality. I would also look at the squad and get rid of loads of deadwood as soon as it was possible.

I was

You were

He/she/it was

We were

You were

They were

....and these..........?

Brilliant, CLB. Just brilliant :D

After the much needed grammatical instruction, we still have a Chairman in need of advice.

John Williams has a problem in that he has a clearly under-performing manager who probably has far too big an ego to accept any advice and seems either oblivious to supporters' views or determined to take us all on. No doubt any comment about lack of entertainment value gets countered by Sam citing lack of funds and not having the ten additional experts he believes are needed to produce results. JW also has a manager who has seen his role sufficiently flexibly to have been getting involved with things he had no place to be getting into and is used to battling with grade 1 nasty pieces of work in the Chairman's seat which JW clearly is not.

My advice to JW would be to take a deep long breath well away from Ewood and write down the criteria defining the point enough is enough whilst giving some thorough thought to whom he would turn to if an incipient crisis turns into an actual crisis. The Board has to have some very clear measures in place to determine whether Sam is outstaying his welcome. With a much weaker squad, Rovers simply dare not wait until we are 5 points from safety like they did with Ince- a decision which undoubtedly cost the club several millions by being delayed by at least four games more than it should have been. The Man U second stream were beatable in the Carling Cup and the Rovers ended just below a clump of clubs instead of just ahead of them in the final table.

In the meantime he has no alternative to backing Sam day-to-day all he can.

Firmly on the fence but leaving a "sacking reference' for future quotes eh?

I'm not sure there is much option for Mr Williams. He has to back his man and i'm in no doubt that is what he'll do.

We've endured a torrid season thus far. A few ups but far too many downs. However, i think we were all in agreement the playing staff needed shaking up. This was and still is a large job for a club of our stature. We cannot finance wholesale changes over the period Sam has been in charge. We have to do things little by little.

I'm in no doubt we'll stay up this season and live to fight another day next year. I honestly cannot see any other available manager who would do much better at the moment. Its clear Sam doesn't have at his disposal the side he'd like. Hopefully we can build on some talent we do have in January and over the summer and look a better, more attractive outfit next season. I think the time will come to Judge Allardyce, but for me there is no need to panic in the situation we find ourselves in. 2 results against Villa and avoiding relegation would be would be a successful season all told.

Its doom and gloom right now, but things could be worse.

He'll do what he has always done when it comes to the manager - nothing. Jack sacked Harford, Roy and Kidd. Souness was left too long and took the decision himself. Ince was left too long and we were led to believe D. Brown made the call on canning him against Williams' wishes. Loyalty is an admirable attribute, but like anything, can be taken too far.

Gartside has acted in circumstances where Williams would never have done. Time will tell who got it right.

If I was John Williams I would give Sam a pat on the back and say keep going, you're doing a good job. 13th after more than half a season, a cup semi and investment in youth players is a step in the right direction, a step which is completely marred by hysteria merchants for fans, who are frankly a little bit insane.

I've said it now, and I'll say it again. Fans have to relieve the pressure off the team and players. This professional athlete crap people keep spinning is a load of bull. As it stands, we are 13th and in a semi, meaning we are in a good position. Now is the time to stick with the club through thick and thin and do your best to relieve the pressure and motivate the players to win for you, not undermine them to fail.

If we had been in the relegation places for a prolonged period of time or were falling rapidly down the table, it would be a concern. However, in the past few weeks we have been sitting in a similar position without change and people are acting like it's the end of the world. We should be looking up, not down.

Archived