BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your John Williams

If I was John Williams I would give Sam a pat on the back and say keep going, you're doing a good job. 13th after more than half a season, a cup semi and investment in youth players is a step in the right direction, a step which is completely marred by hysteria merchants for fans, who are frankly a little bit insane.

I've said it now, and I'll say it again. Fans have to relieve the pressure off the team and players. This professional athlete crap people keep spinning is a load of bull. As it stands, we are 13th and in a semi, meaning we are in a good position. Now is the time to stick with the club through thick and thin and do your best to relieve the pressure and motivate the players to win for you, not undermine them to fail.

If we had been in the relegation places for a prolonged period of time or were falling rapidly down the table, it would be a concern. However, in the past few weeks we have been sitting in a similar position without change and people are acting like it's the end of the world. We should be looking up, not down.

Admirable Miker. but with respect, you're not one of us who witness the @#/? served up every other week. Put in the terms you have everything seems hunky dory, likelihood is Villa will knock us out and City will turn us over next weekend potentially leaving us bottom 4 or 5. That would make the Fulham home game absolutely huge and I can't say I'd be that confident of 3 points in that one.

January is a massive month for us, make no bones about it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest Miker what would you say a week today if we are effectively out of both cups and in the bottom 3? It's possible.

What would you say if we were going to wembley and sitting in 10th? I'm not saying either scenario will happen. I'm saying that the fans shouldn't accept either outcome as dead certain to happen. Just get out there, support the team and get on with it. Too many people are trying to act like they run the club. As far as this season has gone, we are going in the right direction, although I don't think the results back that up completely. People say we're not competing, but we are. Games against Liverpool, Chelsea and the first villa game showed that. Even the last one did.

The players are determined to make things right and they fight back if they go down. I apologise if my acceptance of the fact that we are worse than other teams is unacceptable. We go into most games with either an equal chance or low chance of winning the game. So I think we've done pretty well so far. By the reckoning of some we should be winning or not losing every game. I'm sorry but that simply won't happen, all we can do is support the team each week and hope we have a great performance.

It's not a defeatist attitude from me. I think we should be winning every game we play, I don't go into hysterics if we don't though because I know how disadvantaged the club is compared to others.

Question: what happens to players under pressure who are put under even more pressure?

I would refer posters to the Pompey issue, Michel Platini is now getting himself involved and its odds on clubs will have to have their finances well in place and not irresponsible spending, I have read today of a Portsmouth player on £80,000 per week and has hardly played!!! Crouch was on massive money there too and lots on £40,000 plus so their wage bill and operating costs are unsustainable, can this be down to stupid 'Arry', Spurs are paying massive wages too and they are trying to offload both Bentley and the Russian lad for what they paid for them, this wont happen, will our 'Arry' do what he has done at previous clubs and leave them virtually insolvent?

JW looks after the business side of the club, he has done a brilliant job, with Ince the only question mark, give this guy a break, he and the board of Directors are the reason the club are as well run as they are and I honestly believe (even though its not good selling your best players) that for the money to be 'trousered' as some on here have suggested, has given our finances much more of a balance and sustainable!!

Sound financial management will see us through in the end, we dont want to be a Leeds, Pompey, Southampton and the like, we are Rovers, a small Town club, well run and a Premiership club too, long may it continue.

If I was John Williams I would give Sam a pat on the back and say keep going, you're doing a good job. 13th after more than half a season, a cup semi and investment in youth players is a step in the right direction, a step which is completely marred by hysteria merchants for fans, who are frankly a little bit insane.

I've said it now, and I'll say it again. Fans have to relieve the pressure off the team and players. This professional athlete crap people keep spinning is a load of bull. As it stands, we are 13th and in a semi, meaning we are in a good position. Now is the time to stick with the club through thick and thin and do your best to relieve the pressure and motivate the players to win for you, not undermine them to fail.

If we had been in the relegation places for a prolonged period of time or were falling rapidly down the table, it would be a concern. However, in the past few weeks we have been sitting in a similar position without change and people are acting like it's the end of the world. We should be looking up, not down.

At last a sensible post. Getting behind the club the team is that part supporters have to do. Is it Sams fault that the forwards are not scoring goals? There are afew players that Rovers could do with selling - but they also need clubs who need / want the players Rovers want to sell - who will give decent money for them.

At the moment I suppport Sam. 13th in a cup semi, young players brought in for the future are positives. It is not as though they are playing any worse than teams around us. Do we want the club to go belly up because of money? do we want the club to follow in the footsteps of Leeds, Pompey or west ham - I suggest not. We all want Rovers to be fighting in the top half of the table - but the reality is it costs money. If JW said we have to put season / match ticket prices up - would any of us be happy with that? It is easy moaning and groaning about the current situation and wanting change.

I would like Nicko to do an article, that hopefully would be read by the Trustees, that the supporters of Blackburn Rovers are pleading with the Trustees to support the club more financially. That is where our help should be coming from. As grateful as I am for what the Trustees have done for Rovers, it saddens me that they have withdrawn the support. It would be nice if somehow they could get to hear what the supporters of Rovers really think. But JW, the club and suporters need to get together and plead with the Trustees to invest more

In the club. Because that in itself would bring its own rewards.

In the meantime, all supporters need to get behind the team and give them the encouragement that they need.

I have read today of a Portsmouth player on £80,000 per week and has hardly played!!! Crouch was on massive money there too and lots on £40,000 plus so their wage bill and operating costs are unsustainable, can this be down to stupid 'Arry', Spurs are paying massive wages too and they are trying to offload both Bentley and the

Spurs don't overpay on wages, they are well run at the top. It was Pompey's weak board that let Harry ruin them with his spending.

We shouldn't repeat what Pompey have done but I think we desperately need to make something available to the manager in the window. We cannot afford to sack Sam and fund new management, we need to back him and work on shifting out the deadwood.

who probably has far too big an ego

They do say that it takes one to know one..... :rolleyes:

Firmly on the fence but leaving a "sacking reference' for future quotes eh?

Old Gunner was just the same with Paul Ince circa Aug/Sept 08 before he turned dead against him just as the writing was being written on the wall.

If I was John Williams I would give Sam a pat on the back and say keep going, you're doing a good job. 13th after more than half a season,

Strange parallel here. If my memory serves me right Newcastle were 13th in the Prem with a load of moaning fans with a lynch mob mentality when Ashley sacked Allardyce! Be careful what you wish for!

Difference is if we go down then thats it. Show's over! We don't have their wherewithall nor the financial motivation to mount a promotion challenge. Who would see any investment in a Championship BRFC as being worthwhile when we have to virtually give tickets and merchandise away? I'd have to have a damned site more money than the Walker trust have to blow my money on BRFC thats for sure.

I'm getting mighty sick of the moaning on this board. Ever increasing numbers it appears to me of worthless, whingeing ungrateful bstyards with goldfish memories who haven't got a positive suggestion or alternative about them. If you are just content to moan and moan and cannot think of a constructive way forward then stfu till you have. Better still don't go.

As for me and in answer to the topic title the first things I'd do if I was speaking for the Trust would be to instruct John Williams to stop pussyfooting around and:-

1. raise the ticket prices to the Prem average and stop subsidising and rewarding ingratitude. As I predicted at the time it's pointless.

2. Second thing would be to invite Kilby and Shaw around for a spot of lunch and a chat about the best way forward.

Appreciate you won't care theno but I was about to hit the +1 button until that last sentence.

A Blackburn and Burnley merger is just NOT going to happen. If Rovers went out of business, our fans wouldn't support Burnley, let alone trying to unite the two.

Football isn't like any normal business. It's main shareholders aren't in it for logical reasons!

Appreciate you won't care theno but I was about to hit the +1 button until that last sentence.

A Blackburn and Burnley merger is just NOT going to happen. If Rovers went out of business, our fans wouldn't support Burnley, let alone trying to unite the two.

Football isn't like any normal business. It's main shareholders aren't in it for logical reasons!

Jisty I did ask for positive or alternative suggestions. Despite your intentions you have fallen into the trap of moaning without offering a way forward.

As each year passes this area becomes poorer and the population of each small town cannot fund top level football it's as simple as that. It's not rocket science but so many people shy away from tough decisions by pulling the bedclothes over their head and telling themselves that things will never happen.

Anyway here's another last sentence you may consider on the same issue.

If you want something different to happen.... you have to do something different!

btw now stop fannying about and give me that tick! :P

Tell you what then fella. I'll throw that back at you and ask you to offer something different than Lancs Utd.

Easy peasy. Cotton Town Rangers / Terrace Dwellers United / Northern Lights / Bedrock Athletic even.

btw One thing I don't think would suit would be anything ending in 'Academicals'! :lol:

The situation regarding Allardyce is a fascinating one and obviously one that promotes huge debate. On the positive side of the argument, you could suggest that he kept us up last year when we were in an awful position. He's also tried to get some more young players through and in fairness, any manager needs time to shift the deadwood, of which there is a huge pile at the club. We are 13th in the league and in a cup semi-final which is not to bad a position to be in.

On the downside, his brand of football is awful, absolutely horrible to watch. It does not get the best out of our players and it does not entertain at all. Even if we were winning, the celebrations would somehwat be tinted by an awful method of winning. On top of that add his health situation to the conundrum. Obviously, this isn't Big Sams fault (although the more cynical amongst you would suggest his diet over the years was somewhat to blame!) but you get the feeling that he's holding back and not throwing all his passion into it, which is to be expected but must still be considered when weighing up the cons. Also, we are 13th in the league but only three points above the relegation zone and there doesn't seem to be a clear way out of danger because we dont look like winning.

The question is how far do the pros outweigh the cons? and more so, will January be the month in which the club once again finds itself in the bottom three and in the same position as when Sam first came?

Personally, I think he deserves at least another month of the fans unanimous backing. We could get a final spot and move up to the top half of the league. On the other hand the bottom three looms and we could well be in trouble of losing our premiership status. Until if/when we slip into the bottom three, Sam will have my support albeit dubiously.

A one-size fits all clubs for Lancashire is really your only offer?

Ok, I'll rise to the challenge...

If you want something different to happen.... you have to do something different!

Do I want different owners? - Don't know. In the current climate, it might be "better the devil".

Do I want the club to be run differently? - No, I think it is being run prudently and we cut our cloth accordingly.

Do I want us to have more money? Is that really what it takes? It'd be nice to not have to worry about every penny we spend on transfers and wages. However, I still want us to stick to our morals and maintain the type of family club we have. Unfortunately, the game has overtaken us and we DO need to have a bigger turnover just to compete. So yes, I think we need more money.

Do I want us to be more competitive? Duh. But to do this we need to have the right players, fit and motivated, and in tune with the managers tactics. Again, unfortunately, because of the modern PL, I need money to be able to turnover my squad. The players I'd see us move on won't bring in much money, certaintly not enough for proven quality who are coming close to their peak. So we'll have to buy older players or young ones who may prosper in future - either in where they take us to in the League or the money I bringing in by selling them.

So we need to get more money but can't get any more from our small fan base so what do I do?

Well, I could rename Ewood Park to generate more advertising - after all the fans will still call it Ewood Park - so after the rabble raisers have run out of breath this may be a new avenue to exploit, much like shirt sponsors.

Ah, shirt sponsors. Perhaps a better partner here? Or at least convince Crown to change their 'partnered logo' to help us shift more shirts.

How to shift more shirts? Global brand. We have fans in America, Scandinavia, South Africa and the Far East, to name a few. How do we increase our profile in these countries? More televised matches?

Okay, more televised matches. Improve the playing side, win more matches, take us higher up the table. Ooh, return to the start, do not pass go, do not collect £200. Maybe I could lobby other premier league chairman to look at increasing the choice available to Sky viewers on match day? Our prices are cheap enough that those who do want to experience a live PL match will still come and those who won't or can't get to Ewood, could choose to watch Rovers. But hang on, a lot of countries are already showing most games anyway and people are still watching Man Utd, Liverpool (go figure) and Chelsea. Hmm. Different times for each match? More games on simultaneously on at different times? Saturday 3pm, Saturday 5pm, Sunday 12pm, Sunday 4pm, Sunday 7pm, Monday 8pm. We could have 3 or 4 games on at a time, meaning more chance of those overseas fans having a second or third team. Might need some further investigation.

All this seems a bit far off in the future. We may need to do something in the interim before we can do that.

Okay, Sam keeps badgering me about the Bents and the Crouches so how are we going to buy one of those? Today - or at least this transfer window. We could immediately cut funding from the academy but then redundancies would probably still cost and that would send out the wrong message - and won't see us in good stead when the rules change. Hmmm.

Sorry Sam, you're going to have to 'do it yourself' but remember that we need to pay our bills out of any transfers going out. If you can raise the money yourself, you can - within reason - do what you want with it. You knew this when you came to Rovers so you need to get on with your job. I know, life's a bitch isn't it. Well at least I'll stick to my word and won't interfere with the playing staff and NEVER criticise you in public. How's that? Fair enough?

Whoever I bring in instead of Sam will have to work within these parameters so there's not much point in changing. If anyone can do it, Sam can. If we can stay in this division for the next couple of years, things might look a lot different.

Different. Ah, back where we started. I guess that we don't have the luxury of immediately doing something different and this is all going to take a bit of time. Softly, softly then, one step at a time.

Time for a brandy. As you were Sam. Hope the fans can be a bit patient with us.

That reminds me I'd better phone Cryer and get him to publicise more half season tickets in the Telewag. £99 for an adult half season ticket and £25 for kids. And I still can't fill the place. Dear oh, dear. Where are my golf clubs? Sh!t it's snowing.

Right, let's stick my Superman soundtrack ;) on the stereo cassette player, that always give me a lift, if you excuse the pun. Must remember to invest in some of those new CD whatsits. Hang on, we've got enough CDs, we need a CM or two. Ho, ho.

Okay, time for a laugh... double-u, double-u, double-u, dot, bee, arr, eff, see, ess... (wonder how Gordon is getting on selling his Lancs Utd idea to the fans...?) :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work, John.

0,,10303~6834613,00.jpg

I'm getting mighty sick of the moaning on this board. Ever increasing numbers it appears to me of worthless, whingeing ungrateful bstyards with goldfish memories who haven't got a positive suggestion or alternative about them. If you are just content to moan and moan and cannot think of a constructive way forward then stfu till you have. Better still don't go.

goldfish memories of ince ...:P

DD_414_01774_Self_Stick.jpg

We dont change anything at the moment, I really feel the Rule changes will help clubs such as ours, We have one of the better acadamies and clubs such as our neighbours havent got one at all!!

Clubs which have overspent will have to get thier houses in order which could give them real problems!!

Are we actually seeing a clever move by our Chairman and board here, have we had the foresight where others are still carrying on regardless?

Preventative management is far better than remedial management and as stated earlier, with the exception of Inces appointment, JW has done a pretty good job here and is respected throughout football!!

So for a couple of years, I would do nothing different, unless our Chairman has the foresight again to get one up on many other clubs!!

Global marketing? well yes, but to do that we need someone to sell the product, we havent got a Torres, Beckham, Ronaldo etc and if we had we wouldnt be able to keep them, so we are left where we are, maybe better sponsorship, but again we need someone to sell that for us or a ticket into Europe!! For the first time in years we are putting out younger teams, our Academy are top of the league, maybe this is the way forward!!

We dont change anything at the moment, I really feel the Rule changes will help clubs such as ours, We have one of the better acadamies and clubs such as our neighbours havent got one at all!!

......AND HOW MANY HAVE COME THRU OVER THE YEARS..NOT MANY

Clubs which have overspent will have to get thier houses in order which could give them real problems!!.....DO YOU THINK THAT WIL HAPPEN

Are we actually seeing a clever move by our Chairman and board here, have we had the foresight where others are still carrying on regardless?

Preventative management is far better than remedial management and as stated earlier, with the exception of Inces appointment, JW has done a pretty good job here and is respected throughout football!!

So for a couple of years, I would do nothing different, unless our Chairman has the foresight again to get one up on many other clubs!!

Global marketing? well yes, but to do that we need someone to sell the product, we havent got a Torres, Beckham, Ronaldo etc and if we had we wouldnt be able to keep them, so we are left where we are, maybe better sponsorship, but again we need someone to sell that for us or a ticket into Europe!! For the first time in years we are putting out younger teams, our Academy are top of the league, maybe this is the way forward!!....WEVE GOT KEEF :P

Having compensated the previous outfit before hiring Sam and his staff, it would an even greater strain on finances to repeat the process. This will also cripple the future of the transfer market for our new manager (whoever you aaaaare!) Sam is doing a pedestrian job at the moment. Take away the semi-final against Villa, and there is little cause for optimism. We're hovering above the relegation zone, and his brand of football isn't working on or off the pitch. I believe the only time to act will be when relegation looks a certainty, as it did under Ince's calamitous regime. We simply cannot afford to fall out of this league, because we'll be joining the likes of Charlton, Norwich and Southampton down the garbage chute. When we went down in 1999, we still had Uncle Jack with us, and a strong nucleus to build a promotion chase (Dunn, Duff, Jansen et al). That simply isn't the case anymore.

I agree that the changes in the rule will help Rovers. And I recall Williams recently buying a 16 year old pair of Swedes for the Academy and there have been some reports of Rovers being interested in other youth players.

I think JW definetly has his eye on the future. Personally, I believe that Sam is something of a caretaker or transitional manager, someone to run the club for a few years, undo Incey's damage and help develope the youth the Rovers are bringing in. Kalinic, N'Zonzi, Samba, Olson, Jones and, maybe if we buy him, Di Santo, the Rovers are trending young. Which is a good thing, in my opinion.

I don't see what we can do, i'd be surprised if we could afford financially to dismiss Allardyce, especially after dismissing Ince and his backroom team not that long ago. Then there is the issue on who would you bring in? Can't think of any suitable manager out there that has a better track record than Sam in a relegation battle. I can't see us going for a young unproven manager anytime soon, i think we will be looking at experienced managers from now on after the disastrous Ince experiment.

What needs to be done is some funds need to be made available in January to bring in a player or two, the stats show we lack creativity (especially when our only creative player Dunny is out/or not in form). Bringing in an AMC, creative midfielder or even better imo a decent winger who can put a decent cross on a regular basis could transform our season. Offloading some of the deadwood, Roberts, Pedersen etc. might also raise some funds to bring in a new striker as well.

The rule changes will only benefit the club if we have the right calibre of people at the Academy.

Presumably by being top of the Academy league they are better than their contemporaries at other clubs?

Waste of time pointing it out. Some people don't care about their appalling spelling and grammar and refuse to learn.

They obviously don't know that first impressions count in many areas of life.

*: Although there may be genuine cases of learning disabilities and dyslexia, no way could this account for the widespread mangling of the English language that I witness on a regular basis.

Archived