BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] James Beattie- Yay, Nay, Nonchalance?

141 members have voted

1. 1. Beattie

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Nochalance
    • Get Grooby instead

JAL this is getting boring. Nobody is talking about splashing the cash, we are talking about taking him on or not. The deal is totally out of our hands. Some of us fancy Beattie here in place of Roberts and some don't. It's called opinion and we all have our own. It's not a matter of being right or wrong it's just what we'd like to see happen.

For me its like for like which doesnt improve Rovers short mid or long term future.

Ideally having James as a pushy 4th choice striker would be ideal, but Rovers arent that strong to carry James as a 1st choice striker. There is a cost associated with buying and paying James which doesnt add up to good business.

Imo people need to start being a bit more realistic about the potential Beattie move.

Stoke won't let him go on loan, they need the money to fund another signing. Otherwise they might as well keep him.

And IF he comes in it's far more likely to be for Benni than Roberts.

Looked at like that is it such a good idea?

Ive gone for yay, basically because none of our current crop are scoring much and he'd be worth a go, he'd also suit the direct footie so favoured by sam.

Exactly. I'd fancy Beattie to have more chance of winning one of Robinsons through balls than any of the other crop of prolific goal scorers we have at the club.

I too voted yay.

Roberts out- Beattie in= Yay.

Benni out- Beattie in= Nay.

Beattie would be an improvement on Roberts, i don't think he would be on Benni.

Overall though its pointless looking at strikers if we aren't going to address our midfield situation, the lack of creativity and creating clear cut chances is why we aren't scoring goals.

Overall though its pointless looking at strikers if we aren't going to address our midfield situation, the lack of creativity and creating clear cut chances is why we aren't scoring goals.

Very true... but,

we could have course play a sort of 4-0-6 formation...

One league goal so far this season from Benni. One league goal from Di Santo. Kalinic...

We need someone in who can finish. Beattie is a presence and can finish. Don't really care who leaves from our strikers to be honest. They all distinctly underwhelm. Not that Beattie would overwhelm me or anything but at least he would offer us something a wee bit different...

Imo people need to start being a bit more realistic about the potential Beattie move.

Stoke won't let him go on loan, they need the money to fund another signing. Otherwise they might as well keep him.

And IF he comes in it's far more likely to be for Benni than Roberts.

Looked at like that is it such a good idea?

Benni wil be going anyway, strikers won't be queueing up to replace him. We can only sign players who are available and prepered to move to the Rovers. If it's Beattie or nothing then Beattie it must be.

On the other side of the coin, Sam has already said that Benni will only leave if a suitable replacement can be found, if sam doesn't see Beattie as a suitable replacement then Benni will have to fight for his world cup jersey in a Rovers top. That could work really well for us.

One league goal so far this season from Benni. One league goal from Di Santo. Kalinic...

We need someone in who can finish. Beattie is a presence and can finish. Don't really care who leaves from our strikers to be honest. They all distinctly underwhelm. Not that Beattie would overwhelm me or anything but at least he would offer us something a wee bit different...

Oh yes! and how many has Beattie scored this season please.

TWO... is that JUST ONE MORE goal after his FIRST goal.

PROLIFIC !!!!!

Must be a 'good un'

Well I don't think he's over weight Jal. He may even be nigh on match fit. Then again maybe Chelsea might get interested in him around about April time and then never be the same player again for the next two (plus) years.

Still, if he does a couple of drags back, a couple of fancy flicks, misses from 5 yards with only the keeper to beat, misses the target from 9 yards with only the keeper to beat in another game, admits to not being match fit, admits to having his head turned, and then asks for a transfer as he's not getting a chance then I suppose he'll be a crowd favourite as he's the best finisher at the club apparently. After all he can take a pen.

We're skint by the way. Benni wants to leave I think I read. While I recognise that he can be one of our best players he simply hasn't put it in; effort, application and into the net.

As mentioned earlier, Beattie is also a target man type. If we insist on knocking it long on occasion (cough) from the keeper then surely this move makes perfect sense? Maybe even Morten might benefit by having a striker in the middle who looks like he might connect, or at least try, to connect with a cross?

It's hardly a surpise, the long ball, percentage game. What's the bigger crime? Employing Sam as our manager and our enjoying / enduring the long ball game (hardly a surprise is it?) - or not allowing him to shape the squad to maximise our chances of this tactic being a success?

And that is the crux. Long balls to the likes of Roberts and Benni is a waste of time, they show little appetite for getting their head knocked off with their back to goal and never have done in all fairness. Surely we should get someone in who does?

We've made our bed, we have to lie in it. Which I will shortly. Night all.

JAL is clearly a mentalist, has Beattie caused him a lot of pain in the past? I doubt he's even seen him play much over the years, other than when his team has had a TV match, or when he's on MOTD.

Basically, the same as everyone else, yet his opinion/urgency is so much more OTT than everyone else's. Why is that?

Ideally having James as a pushy 4th choice striker would be ideal, but Rovers arent that strong to carry James as a 1st choice striker. There is a cost associated with buying and paying James which doesnt add up to good business.

But we are saying he will replace Roberts......who is our 4th choice striker (at least in the opinion of most on this board).....so by your own logic in THIS post at least, it would be good business, would it not?

But we are saying he will replace Roberts......who is our 4th choice striker (at least in the opinion of most on this board).....so by your own logic in THIS post at least, it would be good business, would it not?

Its like for like for me, both dont score alot of goals but the compromise is Beattie on loan see what he does then decide. It would be absolutely stupid to splash the cash on a 32 year old. But then the other point is i'm sick to death of this boring long ball stuff its not clever and its not smart especially by todays modern standards.

Well I don't think he's over weight Jal. He may even be nigh on match fit. Then again maybe Chelsea might get interested in him around about April time and then never be the same player again for the next two (plus) years.

Still, if he does a couple of drags back, a couple of fancy flicks, misses from 5 yards with only the keeper to beat, misses the target from 9 yards with only the keeper to beat in another game, admits to not being match fit, admits to having his head turned, and then asks for a transfer as he's not getting a chance then I suppose he'll be a crowd favourite as he's the best finisher at the club apparently. After all he can take a pen.

We're skint by the way. Benni wants to leave I think I read. While I recognise that he can be one of our best players he simply hasn't put it in; effort, application and into the net.

As mentioned earlier, Beattie is also a target man type. If we insist on knocking it long on occasion (cough) from the keeper then surely this move makes perfect sense? Maybe even Morten might benefit by having a striker in the middle who looks like he might connect, or at least try, to connect with a cross?

It's hardly a surpise, the long ball, percentage game. What's the bigger crime? Employing Sam as our manager and our enjoying / enduring the long ball game (hardly a surprise is it?) - or not allowing him to shape the squad to maximise our chances of this tactic being a success?

And that is the crux. Long balls to the likes of Roberts and Benni is a waste of time, they show little appetite for getting their head knocked off with their back to goal and never have done in all fairness. Surely we should get someone in who does?

We've made our bed, we have to lie in it. Which I will shortly. Night all.

Agree with what you say Bob, its just that i'm not prepared to lie in that bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived