BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Korean International Set For Rovers Trial

Alright mate, calm down :blink:

Only said we've been stung by youtube before... Wasn't a personal attack on you.

I was very calm when I wrote that. You can't really convey tone very well with text. You seemed to be suggesting it is completely useless to look at youtube, and that I was advocating our purchasing him on the basis of the clip. So I put that straight. Simples!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The headline in this morning's paper says "Zambia is more important at the moment than Blackburn" which is not a headline you see every day.

Korea play Zambia on Saturday and Gu Ja Cheol is expected to start. He says that it is great to have a chance to go to the Premier League and he is very excited but at the moment his agent is dealing with that. His agent also reckons getting a work permit will not be too difficult.

This has been quite big news in Korea because it is unexpected. Gu was not a player tipped to head overseas anytime soon.

Although in Korea, Rovers, perhaps unfairly, have something of a reputation for 'fishing' i.e. making news by linking themselves with players despite having no real intention to sign them.

Otherwise known as 'doing a Tottenham'.

• Backroom

I think we probably got a bad reputation over there after that South Korean lad (the speed skater celebrater) got the hump with us when we asked him to do a trial.

If this one falls through we'll be Korea most hated team

Although in Korea, Rovers, perhaps unfairly, have something of a reputation for 'fishing' i.e. making news by linking themselves with players despite having no real intention to sign them.

Otherwise known as 'doing a Tottenham'.

"Perhaps unfairly"? Definitely, very unfairly methinks! Like Aggy, the only one I can remember is Jung-Hwan, the one who threw a hissy because we asked him to trial. We can hardly be criticised for that one. His own ego killed that deal. If there have been any others, I'm pretty sure they didn't make serious news over here, which means it is more likely a case of the Korean media pulling our name out of a hat to make their own headlines. We have no interest in headlines in Korea- they do.

"Perhaps unfairly"? Definitely, very unfairly methinks! Like Aggy, the only one I can remember is Jung-Hwan, the one who threw a hissy because we asked him to trial. We can hardly be criticised for that one. His own ego killed that deal. If there have been any others, I'm pretty sure they didn't make serious news over here, which means it is more likely a case of the Korean media pulling our name out of a hat to make their own headlines. We have no interest in headlines in Korea- they do.

Whether these are inventions from the Korean media or not, this is the reputation that Rovers have.

Anyway, the others apart from Ahn (who was linked twice), there were Yoon Bitgaram and Lee Keun-ho. As far as I remember, Gu Ja Cheol is the fourth player Korean player that Rovers have been linked with.

Whether these are inventions from the Korean media or not, this is the reputation that Rovers have.

Anyway, the others apart from Ahn (who was linked twice), there were Yoon Bitgaram and Lee Keun-ho. As far as I remember, Gu Ja Cheol is the fourth player Korean player that Rovers have been linked with.

Forgive me but who? and who??

What's Korean for "Daily Star"?

Not that great to be honest - the big 4 pretty much have the Korean market sewn up, especially Man U with Park Ji Sung.

However, if we sign him, and if he goes on to have an awesome World Cup, his profile will mean lots of interest in Rovers games.

But just by virtue of signing him, commercial gain won't be anywhere near the the scale of, say, Inamoto to Arsenal. Arsenal already had a presence in Japan. I think Bolton are seeing something similar to what we could expect, with Lee Cheong Yong at the moment.

Having said all that, the lads I taught over there seem to know a lot about the Premier League in general already. And when I said Blackburn they usually said McCarthy, Santa Cruz. One even said Samba. Signing a GOOD korean will get you on TV a lot more, but in terms of merchandising etc. it certainly won't come overnight and it won't come without the club having some success.

Ahn Jung Hwan?

He plays for Dalian Shide, in China.

Well what a big team that is. Thought he was too good for us eh? He could perhaps have played in England, but thats what you get for turning the Rovers trial down.

Archived